Mak-a-Face

Remaining Time

When printing modules or platforms, it would be nice to know how much time is remaining in the print or fabrication by just hovering your cursor over the modules. You could even add this to the research chambers too. No need to go into the control panel to check.

Spoiler

uJKlC0i.png

2 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

When printing modules or platforms, it would be nice to know how much time is remaining in the print or fabrication by just hovering your cursor over the modules. You could even add this to the research chambers too. No need to go into the control panel to check.

Reveal hidden contents

uJKlC0i.png

I was just going to post this, that the Research module feature a meter or progress bar on the outside that shows how much time is left.

I must admit I’ve frequently wandered by the research module, looked at it furtively, and wished the panel on front could be read without holding a button to “interact” with it and bring up the menu/visuals. Sounds like I’m not alone in that desire, so what it really boils down to is more a question of what sort of information would be helpful if it were viewable on that small display? I’ve wondered about time to finish, progress meters, etc. However, the point about variable time to finish is a valid one. Think about the many download timers we encounter in our real lives, how useful or accurate are those? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one come close to being accurate tbh. If the download slows because the internet/WiFi/etc cannot continue at the previous rate used for calcuating the estimate, the timer just keeps ticking upward. Observing timer behavior and response, it’s obvious this doesn’t adapt in real time to accommodate any real measures, so you end up with grossly inaccurate download estimates. In general those download timers aren’t helpful (they don’t improve time management or efficiency imho, because their design and operation is to some degree flawed). For the most part they are a distraction, and sometime I wonder if some of them are designed to be intentionally misleading (but idk much about those things).

After considering this, it no longer makes sense to add a research progress meter, at least not one that’s based on estimated time to completion. Just because time estimates wouldn’t be helpful doesn’t mean the Devs couldn’t make use of the display to reveal helpful information to the player. Instead of attempting to display a progress meter or time to completion (too much variability in those numbers) what about a “percentage complete” instead? That wouldn’t be tied to time, rather, the number would always be progressing in the positive direction, i.e. the percentage would increase from 1 to 100% complete for each research pod in each research module (assuming they don’t up and disappear). I realize this isn’t the type of information some players are asking for, but I believe a time estimate isn’t going to be as helpful as it might seem, not with the power streaming model that exists in the current build of the game. I’m always open to suggestions, but a percentage complete sounds like it might be a reasonable compromise (and I’d love to be able to to glance at the small window on the research module without interacting or zooming in, and see a simple percentage displayed, as no other info would be necessary imho although others may not feel the same). What do others think about this? It’s possible this won’t be useful information at all? I certainly acknowledge that possibility. It’s just a thought I had upon reading the discussion here. Thanks :) 

6 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

Instead of attempting to display a progress meter or time to completion (too much variability in those numbers) what about a “percentage complete” instead?

Yes, it makes more sense than having a time remaining because of the constant fluctuation in power and downtime that occurs overnight. Percentage of completion would work much better. As for displaying, I'm too lazy to walk around to the front of the research chamber or printer to look. I'd rather just hover my cursor over the module to get that info.