Building an extra large platform with an extra large storage on top is the first step in some fairly impressive visuals. I placed an XLXL filled with work lights in the valley and took a climb up a mountain! It looked so good I then I did it 3 more times and placed one at each corner of my base! Looking good!

I have XLXL's filled with solar, wind, batteries, work lights, oxygen & air tanks. I use the tanks and the oxygen for light enhancements and beauty. I despise the color yellow otherwise I'd fill one with power as well. I used the X & Z keys to turn the batteries the direction I wanted.

If you have not tried them in caves, well, I won't spoil it for ya but it is visually stunning in some cases. I think you can place them on walls or ceilings

Submerging the legs just enough so only the dome is sticking out of the ground is my secret weapon that I was not going to share because I know you have not thought of it. Hell, you have not even thought about sticking tethers on the ceiling of caves (for coolness and beauty purposes) I'm very confident you would have never thought to sink the XL dome covered in work lights, oxygen or air tanks so that just the dome sticks out. But I'm a nice guy so I will give ya'll those beauty/visual gifts for free!!!  

YW

I looked at those.  But given absolutely zero 2s or 4s slots on them, I haven't bothered with them beyond the initial experiment to see what they were like.  TBH, they are a colossal waste of space and resources.

It requires 2 compound and 2 aluminum along with 3,000 bytes (currently a lowered value) to unlock and only fits on the XL base platform (requiring 2 aluminum itself and 3,000 bytes to unlock).  Holds 31 1s items.  Only 4 medium storage (only 500 bytes to unlock) which requires 8 compound (4 soil canisters) to construct holds 32.  The 4 storage take less space physically.  And you can get all 4 on a standard large base module which is unlocked at the start of the game for free.

And if you covered it in small solar panels, its even a bigger waste of resources.  You can fit 31 small solar on it.  That consumes 31 copper (64 soil canisters).  It produces only 15.5 power if all were lit (which I don't think is possible).  However if you construct medium panels (2c each), it would only require 8 panels to produce 16 power and only need 16 copper (32 soil).  To mount them you only need 2 large platforms (each requiring 2 resin for a total of 4).

But, if it were covered in 2s slots with a 1s TDC, then it could hold 15 medium storage, or medium turbines, or medium solar.  THEN it would be way cool.  And maybe worth the resource expense to make it.  IF it held 15 solar it could potentially generate 30 power (IF all panels received light which, again, I don't think is possible)

So, while visually very interesting and cool looking, its about as useless as tits on a boar hog as it stands now.

yap, XL platform with XL storage is not very efficient as a storage but kind of funny to play with. It adds the scale :) no need to research it right at the start when resources are scarce but to make the base cool looking later is great.

That I agree with.  Later, as a decoration, ok, yea.  Pretty cool looking.  When you are established and simply decorating the area, maybe.  The only helpful thing the XL base yields is that it has the nicely spread out power ports if you want a central spider point for your power distribution layout.

On 3/26/2018 at 3:09 PM, Wolfiesden said:

So, while visually very interesting and cool looking,

I don't play the game for a challenge. I can't find a single one. Ok, maybe young children but I can't imagine anyone beyond a certain age that could consider this game a challenge. Not a challenge in the sense that "Oh my God, I may not finish this game." "It will take me too long to master."
Let's face it even after hundreds of hours of play I'm still seeing messages that state "Resin." Is there anything about the game that is a challenge if I'm still reading the basics? Without a single option to turn off the hand holding? For the love of God, please give the adults that play this game the option to turn off the text in game! 
Sorry to get off on a rant there.
I just don't think the dev's want this to be a life and death challenge game but rather a nice fun romp. Which is why I play as much as I do. It is fun, no, it is a blast to play! However there is no way this game could be considered a challenge. Well, I could never consider this game to be a challenge. 

Everything is free. Everything is unlimited. The only thing that costs is my time. 
Hell, even the game itself was dirt cheap!!!

So if I'm not playing for the "gamer skills" challenge I have to be playing for something. For me it is the fun! 

Aye.  I like testing the new stuff etc, oddly enough I probably get more fun from just testing stuff, than I do from playing the "game".  It's fun just to mess around and relax.

On 3/28/2018 at 6:39 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I don't play the game for a challenge. I can't find a single one. Ok, maybe young children but I can't imagine anyone beyond a certain age that could consider this game a challenge. Not a challenge in the sense that "Oh my God, I may not finish this game." "It will take me too long to master."
Let's face it even after hundreds of hours of play I'm still seeing messages that state "Resin." Is there anything about the game that is a challenge if I'm still reading the basics? Without a single option to turn off the hand holding? For the love of God, please give the adults that play this game the option to turn off the text in game! 
Sorry to get off on a rant there.
I just don't think the dev's want this to be a life and death challenge game but rather a nice fun romp. Which is why I play as much as I do. It is fun, no, it is a blast to play! However there is no way this game could be considered a challenge. Well, I could never consider this game to be a challenge. 

Everything is free. Everything is unlimited. The only thing that costs is my time. 
Hell, even the game itself was dirt cheap!!!

So if I'm not playing for the "gamer skills" challenge I have to be playing for something. For me it is the fun! 

Ok, maybe I tickled a nerve.  But whats with the rant over "challenge"?  I never used the word challenge in my post.  You used it 8 times in ONE post.

TBH, I really am unclear as to your point nor how it remotely relates to my post you quoted.  I really am not trying to be an ass here, but I honestly don't get how your challenge post remotely relates to my post.

I agree with some (many) of your points though.  The game is not challenging on its own.  And, (obviously) like you, thats one aspect I like about it.  Its a nice ramp down from a work day.  I can just couch it and putz in Astroneer.  It may or may not change as the devs progress beyond a tech demo and into a real game (which it really isn't right now).

As per the text request...many games have an option when creating a new game to "Skip tutorial".  Hopefully that will be the solution these devs arrive on and will grant your "turn off text" wish.  It would also eliminate the starting "do this" step by step you are currently herded through right now.  Again, time will tell where the devs take it.

Seems like the two of us have a similar play mindset.  You, by chance, play on XB1?  Maybe we could hookup and do some multiplayer play testing  if you are.

2 hours ago, Wolfiesden said:

Ok, maybe I tickled a nerve.  But whats with the rant over "challenge"?  I never used the word challenge in my post.  You used it 8 times in ONE post.

TBH, I really am unclear as to your point nor how it remotely relates to my post you quoted.  I really am not trying to be an ass here, but I honestly don't get how your challenge post remotely relates to my post.

I agree with some (many) of your points though.  The game is not challenging on its own.  And, (obviously) like you, thats one aspect I like about it.  Its a nice ramp down from a work day.  I can just couch it and putz in Astroneer.  It may or may not change as the devs progress beyond a tech demo and into a real game (which it really isn't right now).

As per the text request...many games have an option when creating a new game to "Skip tutorial".  Hopefully that will be the solution these devs arrive on and will grant your "turn off text" wish.  It would also eliminate the starting "do this" step by step you are currently herded through right now.  Again, time will tell where the devs take it.

Seems like the two of us have a similar play mindset.  You, by chance, play on XB1?  Maybe we could hookup and do some multiplayer play testing  if you are.

Arg, Damned if I know! I had something in my head about a challenge but, today, my head be empty! HA HA! 

No I don't have an XB1 I did however just pick up a 55" 4k television. I'm thinking of getting a Steam box. 

Can't we play together if you don't have a PC? Or were you more talking about testing?

I still can't remember. But I bet it was really good! 

13 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Arg, Damned if I know! I had something in my head about a challenge but, today, my head be empty! HA HA! 

No I don't have an XB1 I did however just pick up a 55" 4k television. I'm thinking of getting a Steam box. 

Can't we play together if you don't have a PC? Or were you more talking about testing?

I still can't remember. But I bet it was really good! 

Ok, its all good my friend :)  I have brain dumps too from time to time.

I do have a PC but don't have the steam version of Astroneer.  Got it on the XB1.  I have stripped my desktop PC of all things microsoft store related so I can't install the game there.  The laptop really isn't a gaming laptop and I doubt Astroneer is touchpad or screen touch compatible.

Someday.