Mirosya

Bulldozer and roads

After digging tons of dirt and building miles of flat surfaces i am thinking that would be nice to have tunneling machine based on large rover since it has tier-3 slot on the front. So this tunneling machine can be a module (like research station) which can be maid into a box and than unpacked on the frontal tier-3 slot of the large rover.

Mechanics: machine will be digging a tonnel in front of it large enough for the large rover  to fit in and in the process collecting soil if canisters are present on the large rover.

Also i want this machine because current soil digging using crane dramatically damages the beauty of the nature.

P.S. Usefull links about this :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer

https://electrek.co/2017/04/27/elon-musk-tunnel-boring-machine-spacex-first-image/

I entirely agree with you.

Maybe adding a "smoother" mode togsther with the terrain tool will just make it looking more natural, and i think there should basically be a better usage for drill head infront of a vehicle.

I would be awesome if after you had used the bulldozer on a surface rocks/stalagmites wouldn't spawn there anymore. Allowing you to makes road like paths

15 minutes ago, SofterSocks said:

I would be awesome if after you had used the bulldozer on a surface rocks/stalagmites wouldn't spawn there anymore. Allowing you to makes road like paths

that'd be nice for any player-flattened terrain... always digging plants and rocks out of my base after a rover journey

10 minutes ago, 101101110111 said:

that'd be nice for any player-flattened terrain... always digging plants and rocks out of my base after a rover journey

This was put down flat literally 5 min ago O_o. I don't care so much about the 'cosmetic cubes' that don't interfere with rover travel but the giant rocks that stop ya on a dime are defeating the purpose of my interstate lol. 

flatplz.png

Edited by SofterSocks

Sadly, this is the true and it is a nice feature in my opinion.

After a rover travel you should clean your base from such, but it should depend on the time you were gone, making the rocks bigger throughout time (dust remainings from meteors burned in the atmosphere).

28 minutes ago, yoavmal said:

Sadly, this is the true and it is a nice feature in my opinion.

After a rover travel you should clean your base from such, but it should depend on the time you were gone, making the rocks bigger throughout time (dust remainings from meteors burned in the atmosphere).

That is what were saying. We have cleaned our bases and yet the mess persists! It doesn't even make sense. It's not like during wind storms irl giant boulders go flying around all willy nilly landing in random spots. I've even had resources pop back up on flattened areas right in the middle of my path lol. 

this is quite wierd, but plants growing in your base is based on the common sense.

i feel like making the base modules covered with a bit of soil is going to be better.

10 minutes ago, yoavmal said:

this is quite wierd, but plants growing in your base is based on the common sense.

i feel like making the base modules covered with a bit of soil is going to be better.

You lost me

We need a way to prevent large rock spawns on user flattened terrain, plain and simple. They are annoying and truly make no sense. Plus I wanna make a monster truck arena and this keeps fudging it up. :( 

well, many requests on lowering the terrain were sent.

my idea is making a road option which is needed to be analyzed in some places, within the terrain analyzer and will prevent things growing on it, it may be expensive creating such an arena but it will be worth it for sure.

Just now, yoavmal said:

well, many requests on lowering the terrain were sent.

my idea is making a road option which is needed to be analyzed in some places, within the terrain analyzer and will prevent things growing on it, it may be expensive creating such an arena but it will be worth it for sure.

There is just know point unless they adjust how objects spawn in. Honestly that was the only disappointing part about path/ramp making I ran into. Other than that I found the tool rather seamless.

Hello all :)

I have to say I like when grass and flowers grows on my base and on my buildings, I would even like the ability to grow more greenery around my home, but there are times when we DO need clean flat surfaces, so:

Based on the boring machine example, we can also create a road-making machine, which will use the soil loaded on and from it will be making that black surface (the one created when astroneer first arrives on the planet) automatically cleaning the road from rocks and plants and trees/bushes and preventing those spawn again. The road will be wide enough for the biggest machine to ride and it would be slightly elevated but following a planet curve.

It will also be nice seeing some effect of more things spawn on the side of the road, making it more beautiful and natural looking, kind of.

5 hours ago, Mio said:

Hello all :)

I have to say I like when grass and flowers grows on my base and on my buildings, I would even like the ability to grow more greenery around my home, but there are times when we DO need clean flat surfaces, so:

Based on the boring machine example, we can also create a road-making machine, which will use the soil loaded on and from it will be making that black surface (the one created when astroneer first arrives on the planet) automatically cleaning the road from rocks and plants and trees/bushes and preventing those spawn again. The road will be wide enough for the biggest machine to ride and it would be slightly elevated but following a planet curve.

This, a million times this!
Maybe still allow us to edit the terrain afterwards though?

its funny i offered it some time ago but none noticed, although i still am happy you noticed at some point.

16 minutes ago, yoavmal said:

its funny i offered it some time ago but none noticed, although i still am happy you noticed at some point.

I was referring to the "hard black surface part" of that specific post. Were all working together here man take a chill pill. 

I've been clearing the large rocks off the flat surfaces with the inhibitor/wide mod and burying the ones that won't disappear. Best solution I've found so far.

Edited by SofterSocks

did you see the chemistry post? it has the tag read before you lock, maybe it should be added within chemistry; you need to create a specific material to form the road.

We have few stations which doing chemistry already (extractor, smelter, catalyzer) , maybe if add soil to one of them as a source to make the black thingie from it? Maybe research something first to unlock the ability of doing so, or maybe reasearch the sample for extrator.

There was actually an update, not sure when it was exactly it must’ve been many many months ago, but it was listed in the Patch Notes that “clutter” objects (which includes all that stuff covering the planetary terrain, including the organic grass-like stuff in all its variations, the styrofoam-like cubes, and so on) would no longer spawn back on new terrain the player laid down. In other words, if you smoothed your area for your base (around the original small hab), covering it with dirt (I believe this was back when we didn’t need soil canisters) the clutter was NOT supposed to return. I believe the same thing applied to rocks. I mentioned this in one of the recent Patch Notes sections, where I give the majority of my feedback, so the Devs would be aware this feature they’d implemented in a past update had indeed been BROKEN by somethng they’ve done or changed in these last several updates, and it needs to be fixed. I realize it’s not the sort of game-breaking bug that will get high priority assignment but it’s very frustrating to go through the trouble to smooth your base (or as others are describing here, working to develop a roadway system etc) only to turn right around and find the surface completely overgrown with rocks, boulders, and all manner of clutter that should not be there :/ While the Inhibitor is a very useful tool mod, it’s not appropriate for the Devs to leave things as they are, with clutter growing back where it has been covered or removed, leaving players no choice (should they desire a clutter-free surface) but to spend Bytes unlocking and print this tool mod in an attempt to “fix” or manage the problem themselves. There are also too many rocks and boulders overall, causing too much interference with driving across the terrain (with respect to current vehicular design and function), but that is an entirely different matter, one I won’t get into here (I rarely build or use vehicles, I find it’s not worth the hassle tbh, I’m able to access more locations quickly and easily on foot so I load up with oxygen tanks and use filters for oxygen refills). I’m sure one day vehicles will improve but for now, I manage without them.

The problem with terrain doesn’t end with respawning of ground clutter. There are several related issues the Devs need to address as well. When I make ramps and other surfaces in caves,, they’ll not only be taken over almost immediately by the prevailing cave ground clutter, there are more serious problems popping up (literally) as well. I’ve saved games only to come back later to find where I’ve built a bridge to span a large divide underground and out of the blue there’ll be a colony of those acid-spewing pumpkins that’s spawned right smack in the middle of it! That should not be happening! It’s bad enough I need to constantly carry an Inhibitor to “mow the base” and clean up my ramps because clutter will continually respawn on them, but hostile flora? That’s ridiculous. Another thing I’ve also noticed, not sure if it’s related or a completely different issue or bug, but again when entering a save (on current update, but it was occurring before as well) sometimes the hostile flora specifically the pumpkins, are spawning completely inside cave walls, yet they’re able to emit the toxic acid clouds and harm, even kill my Astroneer (often you’ll not be aware of the danger until it’s too late because you won’t see them they’re completely hidden inside the walls or other terrain, and the acid cloud isn’t visible either especially if you’re positioned nearby you’ll receive a lethal dose before you’re aware what direction it’s coming from). I’m more aware of it now, and I maintain a watchful eye, but I’m concerned because this didn’t happen until recently. Also I’ve noticed each time I load into a save game, it seems in caves especially the ground clutter becomes multiplicative. There’s too much of it in some areas and it becomes very difficult to maneuver my Astroneer with so much ore precursor material, rocks, stalagmites, etc in addition to dodging the hostile flora and acid clouds (which generate a ton of lag on Xbox). All of this seems to be much worse, starting with the recent update, or last few updates. Have others noticed these thing as well?

The Inhibitor is definitely the best method for clearing your base of most clutter and rocks. It’s really the only option while waiting for the Devs to fix the clutter respawn issue with respect to cleared surfaces. I know it was mentioned in the notes for either this update or one recently that even more rocks and boulders would despawn properly when unearthed, but tbh I haven’t noticed any improvements in that area (granted most of the rocks and boulders do disappear, so overall I guess things are working as intended, I just haven’t noticed any interval improvement). The extra large, irregularly shaped but somewhat rectangular boulder that I’ve had problems with not despawning for the last 6 months or so, still refuses to despawn so nothing has changed as far as I can tell. The only options I’ve had any success with (if you can call them “success”): (1) try and “bump” it out of the way or (2) dig under and drop it far below the surface of the area I’m trying to clean up. Neither of these options is particularly satisfactory and both are rather time consuming. Sometimes when I’m exploring caves I’ll see these boulders that have “teleported” (probably just clipped through the overlying terrain) far below underground for reasons unknown (they’re quite conspicuous, often very colorful in contrast to the green of the lower level cave systems). I’m not sure why this one type of boulder causes so much trouble. I don’t know anything about game development, but I wonder if there’s any way the Devs could just remove it from the game? Seems to me we have plenty of rocks and boulders, no one would miss it right? :P