solidsteve14

Replace backpack 3D printer with Small Fabricator

Currently the small fabricator seems to not have much use other than "bootstrapping" a new base. I think the way the backpack has a 3D printer has made sense in the game thus far, but going forward I would like to see it replaced by the small fabricator. This would mean that it could now print everything that the backpack can make. It could even function almost the same as it currently does, by keeping the extra slots on the bottom of the backpack and placing a small fabricator there. Or if you know you aren't going to need to print anything, you would be able to have one more slot available. It would allow more options and give more usefulness to the small fabricator. What do you guys think?

Yeah, it makes a lot more sense having the backpack fabricator be the location for the small fabricator, and maybe make it selectable to drop into the world. It would basically remove your backpack fabricator when you deploy it on the ground like that, but being able to use it for a multi-purpose makes a lot of sense. In your backpack it would act as the current backpack fabricator, but you can take it off, and it would deploy to the ground-building fabricator for building medium platforms and the medium fabricator as needed/desired. Both modes would require power, but the deployed mode needs to either be on a platform connected to power or connect a cable to it like how small solars and turbines do.

I would like to be able to slot a power cable to your backpack and use your own backpack as a powersource in certain situations, such as if you have small solar and turbine on your top-mounts to power things as well as you can (until you drain your battery)

This is not necessery because of the little amount of power the backpack has.

I do believe disattaching the small fabricator should be possible, and you can should be able to create one within a medium fabricator due to loss and problems afterwords.

On 3/23/2018 at 1:20 PM, solidsteve14 said:

Currently the small fabricator seems to not have much use other than "bootstrapping" a new base. I think the way the backpack has a 3D printer has made sense in the game thus far, but going forward I would like to see it replaced by the small fabricator. This would mean that it could now print everything that the backpack can make. It could even function almost the same as it currently does, by keeping the extra slots on the bottom of the backpack and placing a small fabricator there. Or if you know you aren't going to need to print anything, you would be able to have one more slot available. It would allow more options and give more usefulness to the small fabricator. What do you guys think?

Remember that the fabricators are in their infancy and will evolve further as the game progresses. So replacing the small printer out right, is not necessary. I like your idea of having the backpack printer removable. Treating it more like the small fabricator, in that it doesn't function on the backpack anymore but needs to be placed on the ground and plug-in to operate. This could open up 2 extra slots or turn these slots into holders for the small printer and or small fabricator, maybe even other future widgets. Now that the small printer is removable, this raises the question of where do you get the small printer? Of course you'd get one on your backpack when starting a new game but what happens if you lose it or abandon it or even worse, you die and can't reach it. The landing pad could provide new one if that happens and this would destroy the one that was lost or abandon. That's why a holder or holders instead of extra slots would be more feasible, preventing abandonment of the small printer for those extra slots.

Also the dev team needs to clarify these "micro platforms" that are appearing underneath small widgets like the small generator. Morphing these widgets to have these micro platforms makes no sense. Why not give the small fabricator the ability to print these "micro platforms". This way, you can use them for other things or in combination with the extenders.

16 hours ago, Piemur1 said:

I would like to be able to slot a power cable to your backpack and use your own backpack as a powersource in certain situations, such as if you have small solar and turbine on your top-mounts to power things as well as you can (until you drain your battery)

Yes exactly, I posted a suggestion two weeks ago on the subject of having backpack power outlet and smaller tier extenders that could be use to plug into those micro platforms.

7 hours ago, yoavmal said:

This is not necessery because of the little amount of power the backpack has.

That's because the trickle charge was removed in the excavation update but now with the base building update, they re-introduced it into the new habitat. The dev team keeps flip-flopping on this power issue, perhaps giving the backpack the trickle charge back but making it extremely slow would make more sense.

Also there is enough power in the backpack when fully charged to perform three prints.

Fair enough.

There should be an option of having a small fabricator inside the habitat, and this can print more if itself in case of loss.

Also the fact that small batteries and backpack-mountable chargables exist such as solars and turbines, so you can potentially use your backpack as a powersource as needed with attachments.

But printers and fabricators are two different things. Printers print whole objects and fabricators print objects that are packed up in boxes that are opened up on platforms, that's how I see it. Your backpack is the small printer. I understand that there is not much that the fabricator can do yet but, updates in future will add more eventualy. Also I do like the idea of using small fabricators in your backpack, maybe it needs two spots in your backpack to operate and is slower. I mean the small fabricator is ment for one slot items (small).

1 hour ago, Dylsnake said:

Printers print whole objects and fabricators print objects that are packed up in boxes that are opened up on platforms

True. And I like that distinction. But what I was proposing was that you can maybe use the same object to do both roles, like it's a Small Printer while in backpack mode, and deploys into a Small Fabricator while set on the ground?

I did have a sudden thought though. That since fabricator prints the objects that are packed up in boxes, why does it 3D printer style the entire full-sized object that then just appears as a box? It's probably something they are going to work on in the future, maybe an animation that when finished it packes itself with some kind of animation that shrinks the whole thing into a package, and uses a reversed animation when building itself up on the platform? I'm certainly looking forward to the day that shows up.

A little like how the initial habitat builds itself up when it pops out of the little Habitat module. I kind of wish though that they don't start like a teeny tiny model that grows up in chunky steps then finishes the rest of the construction. I want something more like how the Landing Pad deploys. :D