Recommended Posts

I started playing the game knowing nothing about it. I hadn't watched any videos or read anything about the game - I still haven't. The base building and early exploring is fun and a chilled experience. I enjoy the trial and error aspect of figuring out how things work and experimenting with different materials.

I then unlocked a vehicle, loaded up with Organics for my small generator and set off on a trip. I am now lost have flipped the vehicle three times and am currently sitting at the bottom of a cavern. The plan is to get back to base and it does feel like I am alone and in danger.

Issues I have discovered:

  • you can tether to a platform that isn't connected to a power source and it still functions.
  • The "snow" or "rain" effect causes slow down.
  • In full screen mode on a 2 monitor setup the mouse is not restricted to the game screen. 
  • When transforming the landscape it would be nice if when you fill, the colour of the collected material is the colour you fill with - not grey.

Still enjoying the experience. Wish me luck, I will get back to my base...one day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • The save system seems to auto save at your base - So if you enter your home pod to save then want to reload that last save, it will be overwritten by an auto save. Not helpful.
  • When selecting to enter the seat on the car or turn on a small generator (on the car) with pressing 'E' it will often bring out your side tool.
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bindibaji said:

I started playing the game knowing nothing about it. I hadn't watched any videos or read anything about the game - I still haven't. The base building and early exploring is fun and a chilled experience. I enjoy the trial and error aspect of figuring out how things work and experimenting with different materials.

I then unlocked a vehicle, loaded up with Organics for my small generator and set off on a trip. I am now lost have flipped the vehicle three times and am currently sitting at the bottom of a cavern. The plan is to get back to base and it does feel like I am alone and in danger.

Issues I have discovered:

  • you can tether to a platform that isn't connected to a power source and it still functions.
  • The "snow" or "rain" effect causes slow down.
  • In full screen mode on a 2 monitor setup the mouse is not restricted to the game screen. 
  • When transforming the landscape it would be nice if when you fill, the colour of the collected material is the colour you fill with - not grey.

Still enjoying the experience. Wish me luck, I will get back to my base...one day.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the game (well, alpha-release, incomplete game) so much. With over 240hrs logged, I always love to hear people getting into the game, so I thought I'd respond to some of your discoveries:

- yes, a tether attached to a platform with no power supply (or tether connection to an 0₂ source) will generally still supply oxygen. The game is still in alpha release, but I have no doubt this will change at some time in the future.

- Snow? Rain? Um... the only 'precipitation' in Astroneer are the rocks that 'rain' down on you in the 'sand storms'. They are small-ish cubes of stone that bounce around.

- Hmm... Hadn't tried to play dual screen, so was unaware of this one...maybe someone else has seen this?

- The default 'gray' is the color of soil that has been torn apart and rebuilt by a terraforming tool. If you wish to restore the original color, you will need to employ (after unlocking it) what is called a 'terrain analyzer'. Attached to your terraforming tool, and then used to 'suck up' enough soil of the desired color to completely fill the upper window of the attachement does two things: it allows the user to 'paint' the ground whatever color was absorbed by the analyzer (initially indicated by the color on the top window of the attachment) no matter what color it was originally, and it limits the terraforming tool to that specific color of soil to break down or build back up. This last function can help prevent pulling up soil in areas you don't wish to disturb. Please keep in mind that the 'Terrain analyzer' mod is still in experimental form, and it's ongoing function may or may not continue after any 'major' event (death, save/exit), so you may have to make more than you intended to do...

8 hours ago, bindibaji said:
  • The save system seems to auto save at your base - So if you enter your home pod to save then want to reload that last save, it will be overwritten by an auto save. Not helpful.
  • When selecting to enter the seat on the car or turn on a small generator (on the car) with pressing 'E' it will often bring out your side tool.

Hmm... more, eh?

- Not sure I understand what you are saying here... Entering any 'safe' device (habitat pod, rover seat, shuttle cockpit, original base habitat) should save the game at that location/time. When you return to the game, it should just return you to wherever you were the last time you entered such 'safe' seat... If this is not the case, then that would be a bug issue that should be posted to the appropriate area of the forum...

- Sadly, this is a known issue from update 0.6.5. I experience this one pretty much constantly. The only two ways I've found to get past it is to: remove and re-place the seat, then (without pointing away from it) use the 'hold E to enter', or you can try the 'Alt+click' method (force use item), but as Alt is also used with the terraforming tool to 'add soil', it's a little haphazard. Sometimes it will work fine, sometimes it just picks up the seat anyway.

 

Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy the game! Good luck getting back to your base, if you get your rover up from the bottom of that ravine, you might try driving so the thick band of stars is pretty much right through the middle of the sky, then head along as though trying to drive to where that band of stars touches the ground. If you guess the direction right, you should find it pretty quickly (it once took me over 3hrs to find my base), if not...you may be out there for quite some time. Remember that you can pretty much start a new spur-base from your small fabricator and some simple resources (and power, of course)... If desperation sets in... And if you build THAT base till you have a shuttle, you can always find your old base by orbit/landing... Have fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Gray Mouser said:

Thanks The Gray Mouser,

I am aware it is an alpha release of the game. Ah, thanks I will purchase 'terrain analyzer' for my landscaping needs. 

I'll post a screen shot of the precipitation in the correct forum. It is white translucent squares falling from the sky. 

I made it back 'home' using the markers. I am now an expert at righting the buggy and digging out of trouble :) Oh and I didn't know about the spur-base, thanks.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bindibaji said:

Thanks The Gray Mouser,

I am aware it is an alpha release of the game. Ah, thanks I will purchase 'terrain analyzer' for my landscaping needs. 

I'll post a screen shot of the precipitation in the correct forum. It is white translucent squares falling from the sky. 

I made it back 'home' using the markers. I am now an expert at righting the buggy and digging out of trouble :) Oh and I didn't know about the spur-base, thanks.

Ok, I think I know what you mean now... I don't think that's actually precipitation, more like airborn dust that indicates the current air flow. Well, I think it's INTENDED to be such, but wind is a little...weird currently, because it's not all across a given area, but instead is in patches that increase or decrease as code demands...it's just weird.

But your slowdown caused by the air particles...have you tried turning some of the graphics settings down? Like Post Processing or Effects? I'd start with Effects, but that's up to you.

Congratulations on finding your base! And yeah, the more you drive around in a Rover, the better you get with flipping it upright and digging out smooth ramps you can climb out on...

Yeah, I think the way the devs said it was that they wanted you to be able to (in the event of getting totally lost) print out a small fabricator and just start a new base that won't have a habitat until you research/print one, but that you can just start over. In earlier version (without the small fabricator) there was nothing you could do but keep searching for your base, because you could only build a base from the habitat. Lose that, and you were dead in the water.

Have fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites

bindi, in case you haven't noticed it yet, if you look at your astroneers feet, you get a compass, that'll help you somewhat if you get lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites

An excellent point, Martin. So...which direction is his base from where he stopped his rover?

I've always hated people that act like a compass will solve your being lost issue. A compass will only help if you consult it any time you change directions, and make some sort of note as to which direction you turned, and when. OR if you have a map...oh wait. There IS no map in Astroneer, and unless you get out of your rover every time you want to turn, you CANT SEE the compass.

Yeah. Big help, Martin. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, obviously, in the future games he'll play, he will check his compass bearing before he gets into his truck.  Then he'll know where he is should he crash later on. Or if he can see his vehicles from his base, he can then check the compass and see what direction they are, if he should then find himself turned around midway but unable to see the flags, then the compass might help him.

Goes without saying that if you don't know it even exists.. one might find it useful. 

I've always hated people who are morons.  But it seems some morons are just people.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead