Pseudonymico

CABLE UPDATE: ziplines, cable-cars, elevators & automation

A while ago, another person suggested adding a zip-line to improve mobility on hills. It fits in with some other parts of the game such as tethers and sliding down hillsides and could be a help with caverns and mountains, so I agree that it would be a good add, but I think going further and making a whole set of tools using overhead cables would be even better. 

For starters, cables themselves - a set of poles built in a batch like tethers or extenders that can attach to a surface and be linked together over a distance. Maybe built using resin or aluminium, to differentiate from tethers and extenders. The poles would be sort of an upside-down-L-shape, and just tall enough that the astroneer could jump up and grab the cable to slide down. Cable poles could attach to terrain or single sockets on platforms and vehicles, which would allow cable cars to transfer items.

Next, a small motor that could clamp onto the cable and use a small amount of power to drive along it. This could clamp onto the backpack, or carry a small item. The motor would come out on an L-shaped pole, normally keeping the astroneer or socket looking a bit balanced, but able to swivel them out of the way if the cable got too vertical to act like an elevator (holding the cargo/astroneer to one side). Again, this could be made of aluminium, and be charged up at each destination when in automatic mode.

Finally, a larger cable-car platform with a medium/two-socket connector, able to automatically transfer items over a long distance. This could have connectors on the cable attachment to turn it into an overhead train, attach cockpits to transport astroneers, and hook up to a generator of some sort for long-distance travel as well as being handy for use as an elevator or getting around rough terrain. The cable poles wouldn't need to be very high since the terrain tool could easily make them taller. 

Yes, I watched Sky Commanders too much as a kid.

I would like to see a zip line system (with the motor especially) becuase it would be a good way to quarry out soil by sliding across like half way then digging. (Also maybe vehicles can be modified in order to hook on to zip line)  i hope this is added

+1

it would be great to see this in the game, and it would be nicer if you could use this by making a system of beacon tags (where you placed the poles) and connect the poles by pressing the tags them selfs by an order (connecting A to B would require pressing A and then pressing B, and pressing twice on the same tag would cancel it).

+1