drake stensby

New power source/collecter idea? (Very Big Idea!)

Hey astroneer team,

I've been playing astroneer since it came out on box, or maybe just a little after it came out and since these last few big updates, I've noticed some things such as power sources and power collectors, (ex, "small battery", "medium battery", and "small wind turbine" etc, and these indicate that there are or might be bigger versions correct?, Well as I was wondering such things, I was thing of different power sources and collecters, and then I thought, why not make one huge system, where it takes certain resources to create energy, and attachments that store energy, and then bam, it hit me, and again like in the title this is a really big idea, ready?                 

NUCLEAR REACTOR!, Yes I understand it will obviously be quite a while till such things could probably be implemented, but hey, it's quite a cool concept right? Or at least to me it is, anyways, if you devs think this could be any bit possible, I'd love to see it, all of it really, from startup build, to complete polished game integration, well, the reactor will be polished maybe ?, but the game has quite a ways to go, so much potential, it really is quite an awesome game, and I've always been into space and crafting, and then you guys made this game, and I was like, hell yeah, sold lol, anyway, if you read this thank you for your time, and possibly the consideration of my suggestion, and thanks for creating such an awesome game.

hope developments go well, and have will you do it, and I can't wait to see future updates and new technology integrated into the game, you guys do such an awesome job with this, so keep up the good work.

how about adding Uranium into the game, which you need to build a special module to enrich, and a special module for nuclear reactor to use, or you could use it for a really powerful bomb. once you activate the nuclear reactor with uranium (which will be very rare) you can't stop it, and you need to keep it cool somehow, otherwise it explodes.

it will generate dozens of energy, but for a very limited time, would need an extra large platform to be built on, and will generate as twice energy as the big solar array. i hope reacting to this will get it up to the talk so more people will see it.

1 hour ago, William Chapin said:

1 hour ago, William Chapin said:

I like where thread is going ...... also make it vulnerable to weather as well ...... maybe have to have some kind of cooling tower on a sperate platform?  

Yeah like in the top post, all those would be perfect, and yeah a cooling system would have to be in place, though liquids might be hard, but like I said this could be a way in the future addition, but as to weather effecting it, that wouldn't work, considering it would all be in a consealed type of construction, and besides, now a days, whether never has an effect on nuclear power, unless its absolute zero, or over 250° out side, which doesn't happen, because we'd all be dead by now

I like it were it could take damage and have a rad leak and to much leakage and BOOM hope your base wasnt near by. This would be cool but i do believe you should be able to turn it off for maintance and moving it and well destroying the reactor is you decide of its not worth it.

i agree that uranium should be rare as well as refined into a more useable form (you could still use it raw but i think you understand the risks)

of course this would be late game. Like if the game was divided into quarters it would be the 3 quarter.

this also allows dev to add in lead which who knows what they’ll do with that

also the reactor would have to be built in multiple layers were each layer requires certain resources

it would be a fun project as you play the game

(dang i wrote a lot)

+10

maybe, it could be a moduld that needs to be built in 4 different layers (i guess from the core to the outside somehow).

you could operate it without one of the layers but it would be much more dangerous, and it would polute radiation (little when normal, colossaly before and during an explotion, and a little less but still a lot afterwards.

i do agree it would be cool to have as a peoject during the latency of the middlegame, but we would still need liquids (if will be added) to operate it and make it cool.

moreover, if liquids will be added you may want to construct it inside an ocean or a lake, and if not you would need to plan it by the liquids of the area. rebelord, i think we should have a general discussion about suggestions to talk and adjust new ideas. its much more effective compared to each one doing it alone.

I agree with a new use for astronium being added but its a NUCLEAR reactor all things NUCLEAR use URANIUM but maybe it could be used in the construction of the reactor

also with the design you made i like the design and nice job with the effort put in but I don’t think it relates to Astroneer’s smooth circular design

20 hours ago, yoavmal said:

How about using Astroniun instead of Uranium to make aatronium more usable?

18 hours ago, Rebelord said:

I agree with a new use for astronium being added but its a NUCLEAR reactor all things NUCLEAR use URANIUM but maybe it could be used in the construction of the reactor

also with the design you made i like the design and nice job with the effort put in but I don’t think it relates to Astroneer’s smooth circular design

As far as I am aware, that's actually planned.
Astronium is supposed to be a highly energetic resource.

Well then ignore me

is it going to be a dangerous power source like uranium or something that slowly generates over time (i would prefer the danger)

Edited by Rebelord

Maybe you would be able to change the speed it generates power. Like low, but it is safer, or fast, and it would be more dangerous.

On 5/12/2018 at 9:15 AM, NolimitsHD said:

Maybe you would be able to change the speed it generates power. Like low, but it is safer, or fast, and it would be more dangerous.

Yessss

also could we get some sort of toxic waste product that kills organic around and of course a radiation deterctor as well as hot spot on some planets for radiation (radiated of course would just be one big hotspot) perhaps there could be a little green outline on the back pack and as you obsorb more Rads the outline slowly fades until it nothing and you begin taking damage of course there would have to be a way to counteract this

Thanks for all your inputs on this, they're all really great ideas and I'd love to see them implemented into Astroneer, also I love that design for the reactor btw, sorry I haven't been active, I wasn't ignoring anyone I just got extremely busy with my life between school, getting a career going and im engaged and my fiance, she will be moving in very soon, so I've just been focusing on me and her and nothing else really

If implemented then I'd say it would most likely be a bigger version of the RTG, I haven't played astroneer in quite some time so I'm not really familiar with all the new stuff that's been added so I didn't even know about the RTG Till now lol