Instead of having a whole bunch of different platforms, just have some basic platforms like Medium Platform B & Large Platform B and a few other different shaped platforms too. These would be used as a base platform to add add-ons, such as the small extensions from the Large Platform A or the wings from the Large Platform C.

The fabricators would use the cable connections as a attachment point when adding new add-ons. This would allow you to create your own custom platforms for your needs.

HzDj4uK.png

I really like that idea :)

It's will be more challenging but also more interesting and satisfying.

It will be good for Astroneer game loop.

Great mockup! Really like this idea and it really fits the modularity of the game mechanics. Having a standard medium, large, extra large base platform with attachable modules would be a much better approach. This combined with one of the other ideas of being able to "set" a categorization for a storage point would be fantastic for something like the mineral extractor. On one side use a Tier 2 attachment like in your mock up, and on the other side add the vertical 10 node Tier 1 from large platform type C. Being able to "Set" the category for the vertical 10 node Tier 1 storage to "minerals" so you could just dump medium storage with 8x full canisters on the one side to load up soil and then run it and the minerals would dump out onto the other side.

I also like this as a way to make the extra large platform actually more useful. Being able to put two related modules on a single platform and then building a few add-ons like you've shown for transitional storage would be great. For example I frequently place a mineral extractor next to a smelter. I can strip-mine soil with a rover into a bunch of canisters and then dump them into the mineral extractor to get copper or aluminum ore. I then move the medium storage full of ore over to the smelter to produce copper or aluminum. It would be awesome to be able to place a mineral extractor and smelter onto an extra large platform and then add on a medium storage point on the side by of the mineral extractor, as well as the front, and then adding the vertical 10 node Tier 1 from large platform type C on the side by the smelter. In this way you could drop off a medium storage of 8x full canisters and process it for copper or aluminum ore which would then immediately be pulled onto the smelter (if it was set to ON) and the resulting copper or aluminum would dump out onto the vertical 10 node Tier 1 storage module.

14 hours ago, SCORG said:

Also ... how do you made this visualization?

Just using Photoshop. Took two screenshots of the platforms then cut n paste.

10 hours ago, PopinFRESH said:

I also like this as a way to make the extra large platform actually more useful.

Yes, exactly. I can't find much use for them at the moment in their current state. These larger platforms are something you'd probably see in the modding community. But if they do decide to keep these larger platforms, they should consider giving us the ability to add add-ons so we can customize them.

They will probably have to limit the amount of add-ons you can add to certain size base platforms. Maybe some kind of spacing points that you can use up or even different classes of add-ons that will only work on certain base platforms.

This would sure make base building a lot of fun. :D

10 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

Just using Photoshop. Took two screenshots of the platforms then cut n paste.

Yes, exactly. I can't find much use for them at the moment in their current state. These larger platforms are something you'd probably see in the modding community. But if they do decide to keep these larger platforms, they should consider giving us the ability to add add-ons so we can customize them.

They will probably have to limit the amount of add-ons you can add to certain size base platforms. Maybe some kind of spacing points that you can use up or even different classes of add-ons that will only work on certain base platforms.

This would sure make base building a lot of fun. :D

We already have the different tiers of attachment points so I'm not sure I'd like different tiers of platform add-ons. I do agree there should be fixed locations on the different platform sizes. This would also make the "front" arrow on the platform actually have some meaning. For example the medium and large platforms would be the square as you've shown (current Type B), and they should have two (2) add-on mount points; one on each side, left and right. The extra large platform would actually be interesting to have every other side have an available mount point for a total of four (4). Basically N/2 sides.

Currently the only use of the extra large platform for me has been to put my mineral extractor on it with a large storage on the second Tier 3 socket so I can dump more medium storage with full canisters on it.This idea would make that less beneficial since you could use both of those tier 3 sockets for mineral extractors, or as previously described, a mineral extractor and smelter while still having bolt-on storage for things.

I think this is also an interesting idea for handling the ideas people (including myself) have expressed regarding some method of a resource storage silo (e.g. a large canister). I previously described having a silo object that you could toggle to a specific resource type. Then having another platform object like the smelter that would break down resources into a "powder" or "liquid" to be transferred via the same/similar tubing as power in a "compressed" form. This concept would be an interesting way to handle that as not all things would need to be connected to the storage silo(s). Having an add-on that functions as a tubing attachment point would be very cool.

An example use would be as follows:

- Build a large Type D platform and attach 10x silos (large canisters) to the tier 2 mounts.

- Attach a tube coupler add-on to one side of this platform

- Build a Type A large platform for the resource compression module

- Attach a tube coupler add-on to one side of this platform

- Connect the two (2) tub couplers together with a tube (similar to power cables)

Then when you process resources they would get transferred through the tubes to A storage silo for that type (unless there was none, or all of them were already full). You could simply attach another tube couple as the 2nd add-on on the other side to daisy-chain resource processing modules. In this example, I could add a second tube couple to the resource compression module and then attach a mineral extractor. This should allow me to dump soil into the mineral extractor which would get pulled into the compression module and then stored in a relevant silo.

Apologies for the somewhat off topic aspect of this. There is a lot of really interesting possibility for building resource automation with this idea

it have been suggested in a previous topic, and it would be quite a little overpowered to add more tier 2 slots to the platforms, don't you think so?

but i do believe that making some smaller platforms which could be expanded like above would be nice. it would also operate more esthetic base building afterwards (for example adding some platform D as fences, and more stuff. i would support it but not when adding the possabillity of adding actual second tier 3 module to a platform that already has one. i would also agree enriching the game with direct placements for different platforms (for example 2 platform D straight and at a small range from each other) with no effort, like it automaticly brings the tier 3 modules in their boxes onto the large platforms.