Fenris

This Game is Confusing now... (Feedback)

Hi,

first thing to say, i dont want to flame or something, i want to give a serious Feedback to the Devs.

Last Time i Played Astroneer is a couple of Months ago and i realy liked it back then. Today i wanted to play it again a little and i endet completly confused and frustrated...

Is there some kind of ingame Tutorial that i miss? I am complete unable to build a Base for multiple reasons.

At first, the Controls. Its annoying that some things open up with "Q" and other with "E", some things only by pressing the Key and other with holding the key. I having a hard Time to open up the Interface i want without opening 2 other that i dont want. You made a totaly simple Gameplay totaly cofusing with an unconsistant ussage of Keys.

Second things are the new Interfaces itself and the way Modules working now. I dont get it how i use new Blueprints. I unlocked the Canister, but i cant build one anywhere. What does the Smelter do, how i get it to work?

I have many more Questions, but im shure that these will answer them selfes after i understand how the Blueprints work. Again, the old System was completly simple and easy to understand, why do you made it so confusing?

You make the canister in the backpack. Press Q to bring up backpack, then cycle through the bottom to see what you can craft. Canister will need one resin

This topic is interesting because when I tried to show the  game to my GF (she's a NERD as well) , she's was also extremely confused about the tutorial - game start ; we can't know what they (the new players) are feeling, but actually, the tutorial is not so well-suited for them ; moreover, an other topic was talking about problems to launch the game tutorial when you haven''t any composite deposit near your first base. 

I think we should think about a new way to develop a little tutorial to explain some things that veteran players don't need : like for example an explanation, in-game, about the print-system, about the building-system, and about the research system. Some things are here, but, its not perfect and can lead to a bad-feeling about the game for new players.

I actually like that there isn't a tutorial. But some hints would be nice. For instance, I had no idea what filters did other than disappear until I read the wiki. Until I read the wiki, I would build some, then go about my business not sure what I just built but thinking about those plants in the caves give off the toxic cloud. I am running around, doing my thing, stepping away from the tethers for short periods of time taking shortcuts between segments, etc. Then I find some of those plants with the toxic clouds and decide to try out my filters but, "where did they go?" If it weren't for the wiki describing them, I'd probably never build them again. My observation of their function was, "they go away."

The inconsistency of the interface is definitely a problem. Why are some things activated by holding X and other by holding Y? Why are some things built by pressing the "i" button hovering over the silhouette of what is to be guild while others by holding X/Y? There is no consistency in how things are used. Suggest making using something always Y and getting in/out of something always X. But in general, have the buttons consistent for the type of action they perform.

I played Astroneer non stop for months last summer and fall but took a break before Christmas.  Today I started my first new game and cannot figure how to do anything.  There is a round platform thing, then it has another thing on it I can move around.  I pushed buttons, tried variations of holding Q and E, and got frustrated. I cant find any up to date videos on how to get started, so I tried looking at the F1 tutorial for about 30 mins, determined to figure something out but no luck yet.  This was my all time favorite game, so it's a real bummer to revisit it and not be able to sort it out.

I played Astroneer non stop for months last summer and fall but took a break before Christmas.  Today I started my first new game and cannot figure how to do anything.  There is a round platform thing, then it has another thing on it I can move around.  I pushed buttons, tried variations of holding Q and E, and got frustrated. I cant find any up to date videos on how to get started, so I tried looking at the F1 tutorial for about 30 mins, determined to figure something out but no luck yet.  This was my all time favorite game, so it's a real bummer to revisit it and not be able to sort it out.

I got to this point, put the 2 compound in, and can not for the life of me figure out what to click or hold to make it actually build the thing.

nowwhat.jpg

Its good to see that i am not alone with this problems.

I hope the Devs will see this Tread and are going to rework the Controls

20 hours ago, Brooks Hagenow said:

I actually like that there isn't a tutorial.

I can understand why, but the problem is new players (most of them) are not aware about the gameplay, and the actual tutorial is not effective; it's not teaching them, in-game, the basic instructions or system structures of the game. And that is a big issue because if you want to have many players on Astroneer, you need to let them appreciate the game, and talk about it (on social, on steam, to their relatives) in a positive way. If the tutorial is broken, if the newbies don't understand anything, they won't be pleased and they won't talk about Astroneer in a good way, saying " it's too complicated" and "I dont know how to do this and that. So a good and efficient Tutorial is crucial for Astroneer.

Not all newbies are going to SES forum to ask how the game is working. And then, they have a bad opinion about the game, and they're spreading that opinion trought comments and posts on Internet. 

We need a good tutorial, a one veteran players can skip and, with a "reward" at the end in order to push the newbies to do it (like the fact for example to have canisters and tethers unlocked at the end of the tutorial).

@Wyvyrias  I think you should see that topic.

If you were marooned on the desert island you wouldn't be presented with a survival guide would you. That's what the DEVS have done with this game.

You need to work it all out on your own or ask the nice people on the forums. 

Sometimes it's due to bugs.

Minecraft didn't have a tutorial.

Edited by PrimalByte

Personally I liked old UI much, much more than new over complicated new layout.

I like game so much, awaiting for Terrain2.0 and for dedicate server.

Please reconsider and/or consolidate UI and hotkeys.

btw: ATM I can't ride rover w/o unequip/equip seat. Targeting seats is really nightmare. Same with structures - you have to target it to very exact location to open menu. Please don't ruin this great game.

3 hours ago, PrimalByte said:

If you were marooned on the desert island you wouldn't be presented with a survival guide would you. That's what the DEVS have done with this game.

Just little comment - this is Astroneer not Minecraft.
Some games lead you because of simple control, some games need tutorial.
Astroneer moved from first kind to second.

3 hours ago, Casea said:

Just little comment - this is Astroneer not Minecraft.
Some games lead you because of simple control, some games need tutorial.
Astroneer moved from first kind to second.

That's the point I'm making. Thanks

On 17.3.2018 at 12:54 PM, PrimalByte said:

The Problem with Astroneer is not the missing Tutorial. I personaly like Games where you have to find out everything by yourself. But it is absolut Important that such Games have intuitive Controls and Interfaces, like Minecraft to stay by your example. And thats the Problem with Astroneer. The Controls are incosistent and the Interfaces are confusing.

And its not a Solution to say "Go and look for a Wiki or a Forum". In That case, you could build a all explaning Tutorial. Because where is the Exploration and Research feeling if you have to read everything in a Wiki and know every bit of the Device you just build, and posibly spoilered for other Devices that you dont know until this point in Game. This is a game breaker.

I dont know the back Story of Astroneer why you are out there on your own and have to build a Baseon your own. I immagined that i was send to a distand Solar System and have to build an funktioning Outpost and do Research this new System. In this Case, an Astoneer WOULD have some kind of Training or Guide for all the Machines and Devices that he have to work with. Even if an you where stranded on this Planet, an Astroneer would know his own Equipment he came with.

an Astoneer WOULD have some kind of Training or Guide for all the Machines and Devices that he have to work with.

The research catalogue would be a great place to get such information.
Select an object in the catalogue, press a key and get instructions on its purpose and how to use it.

Edited by Bushmills

On 17/03/2018 at 12:54 PM, PrimalByte said:

So, this is not a little tutorial, that kind of information box ? (in the right corner of the screenshot)

I absolutely and completely disagree with you. Its ok to not have all the game explained by and entire instruction manual, but if you want to have news players, you need to listen them a little. And most of the newbies are a little confused about the game system/mecanics/controls at the moment. So a little tutorial is needed, and a good one.

Minecraft_tutorial.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ferendris said:

So, this is not a little tutorial, that kind of information box ? (in the right corner of the screenshot)

This Tutorial is only on the Console Version of Minecraft. The PC (Java) Version has realy not a single Line of Tutorial.

You need to give the Player a way to find into the Game and how it works. The easy way is a Tutorial, but it teakes away this Survival feeling.

It could be cool if a Game comes without an Tutorial at all, but it realy needs self explaning Basic Game Mechanics. So the Player is able to obtain Basic Equipment relative easy to learn how the Game works, and to reach the next Step you have to find out what to do with what you learned until now. It is dificult to find a good Balance for this Early Game, but its the Most important Part.

Astroneer at this Point today is to confusing right now, thats the main Problem. If everything would be a little bit more Self explaning, like i was before all these Changes, the Problem is solved.

29 minutes ago, Fenris said:

It could be cool if a Game comes without an Tutorial at all, but it realy needs self explaning Basic Game Mechanics. So the Player is able to obtain Basic Equipment relative easy to learn how the Game works, and to reach the next Step you have to find out what to do with what you learned until now. It is dificult to find a good Balance for this Early Game, but its the Most important Part.

I completely agree. 

About the minecraft tutorial, I know that, but, in any case, for the console version, devs released a little explanation about the joystick gameplay and mecanics, in order to make the game more nice to news players. And more understandable.

It's not reliable enought, noone is reading that little explanation. I think we need to help the player to understand better the environment and game mecanics.

I thought the tutorial images were pretty clean - but last playing it months ago from being able to click on the panels to grab them to now having to hold the button for SECONDS before it opens isn't intuitive...

They still have the issue where trying to put a seat in the spot you want it in snaps in one you don't want so a key to be able to cycle through may be better or they should slim down the snap radius by a bit...

Vehicle driving isn't intuitive at all... The mechanics would work FLAWLESSLY for an aerial drone, but for a wheeled vehicle it's just disgusting...

On 8/2/2018 at 12:30 PM, CopperyMarrow15 said:

The current tutorial is quite messy. I recommend watching gameplay videos on YouTube to figure out how everything works.

I'm sure they have it figured out by now since the post was made months and months and months ago........

No, the Problem is not only the Tutorial, the Controls are confusing and not consistent.

Some UI's open this way, some with an another way. Some Devices have multiple windows, that are bind on different Keys...

I'm always stuggeling to find that UI i want... Thats the big Problem, and its still unsolved.

Even here in the Forum, so many Peaple respond with the same problem, but nobody seems to care.

If it was possible, i would get my Money back. Because this Game is completly different since i bought it, and it keeps developing in a way i dont like...

But that the risk of Early Access Games.

Edited by Fenris