This is probably one of the best concepts for a game since minecraft, and with that said i would love to have a first person view as an option, it could be so immersive hearing your characters breathing inside a space helmet, also this would then allow for some basic heads up displays like oxygen counter, current backpack power levels and maybe a permanent compass. Also to include vehicle displays when seated in one, battery level etc... i feel that first person would allow for smoother vehicle control too. Look out for future posts as i have some more ideas and improvements that i personally think would be good.

Yeh I think for first person driving, navigation of tight and narrow tunnels, a first person mode is going to become an absolute must.  The way the camera zooms and pops, your backpack getting stuck inside the mapping, plants and modules popping between your los and the backpack itself.. all of this needs a good look and redo.   As it currently works, it works.. but there's just so much improvement that could be done, to make it just remove all the frustration of not being able to control the camera. 

One of my biggest issues is the "apparent" favourtism over xbox version, where apparently, the players get a on drill camera for zooming into drilling holes on the crane/drill.  We need this for the pc version. yesterday.

The single most hated camera issue for me, is when you line up the camera to peer into a hole to mine out resources and the camera slowly slides back away from the pit, forcing you to stop, realign, start over.. stop.. and so on.  It's soo annoying.  Please it must be fixed. 

2 hours ago, Martin said:

... The single most hated camera issue for me, is when you line up the camera to peer into a hole to mine out resources and the camera slowly slides back away from the pit, forcing you to stop, realign, start over.. stop.. and so on.  It's soo annoying.  Please it must be fixed. 

I go into a raging frenzy when this happens... so pretty much, I'm always in a rage, when playing this game. Absolutely every move you make, is followed by that small, slow, cursor drift. IT MUST BE ELIMINATED!! >:(

5 hours ago, Martin said:

Yeh I think for first person driving, navigation of tight and narrow tunnels, a first person mode is going to become an absolute must.  The way the camera zooms and pops, your backpack getting stuck inside the mapping, plants and modules popping between your los and the backpack itself.. all of this needs a good look and redo.   As it currently works, it works.. but there's just so much improvement that could be done, to make it just remove all the frustration of not being able to control the camera. 

One of my biggest issues is the "apparent" favourtism over xbox version, where apparently, the players get a on drill camera for zooming into drilling holes on the crane/drill.  We need this for the pc version. yesterday.

The single most hated camera issue for me, is when you line up the camera to peer into a hole to mine out resources and the camera slowly slides back away from the pit, forcing you to stop, realign, start over.. stop.. and so on.  It's soo annoying.  Please it must be fixed. 

I play on xbox and havn't come across a drill camera pov, its just the normal control or the cursor control and without the option to invert the y axis on cursor control i mess up more times than i get it right lol,

And kinda on this topic i would like an option to be able to control the crane while still in the driving seat which would make the whole process of mining, shaping and tuneel making alot easier and less frustrating, as i am sure i ain't the first person to attempt clearing a mountain top using a crane and drill only to have the vehicle begin to roll either by gravity/ terrain angle or storm induced then end up either rolling down the mountain or falling down a cave that was just uncovered.

Posted (edited)

Isn't there a bumper key or stick depress that gives you a more direct fov for drilling? I'm sure this was mentioned several times in dev streams for xbox users.

Edited by Martin

46 minutes ago, Martin said:

Isn't there a bumper key or stick depress that gives you a more direct fov for drilling? I'm sure this was mentioned several times in dev streams for xbox users.

Just checked and nothing, could possibly be an upcoming feature to the game for all platforms.

On the Xbox whenever I enter a crashed satellite to get the components out of it I end up with a camera buried in the ground outside.....after a minute of careful camera movement I can usually see myself and get out into the open.  This would be a great place for first person.   

I have yet to see any special drill camera view unless it was something added on the latest update.  

On 3/15/2018 at 5:17 PM, VT_Mongo said:

On the Xbox whenever I enter a crashed satellite to get the components out of it I end up with a camera buried in the ground outside.....after a minute of careful camera movement I can usually see myself and get out into the open.  This would be a great place for first person.

THIS. This is my most frustrating camera issue... The crashed debris is at such an angle that to see where there might be the freebie resources, I need to climb inside, but that damn camera just slides out into the wall of the wreckage, or the hillside, or just sits outside, totally defeating the idea of 'seeing' what's going on. This is the only thing I'd REALLY like a 1st person camera for...well, that and maybe spooky cave spelunking... (^_^)

Omg yes! I play on Xbox One, and I’ve about given up seeing what’s inside crashed wrecks to get at resources I try my best to simply “pull” them out (using our Astroneer version of Jedi Force wielding xD) unless I happen to find a crash that’s horizontally placed such that I can excavate and walk through it without much fuss with the camera angles. If the crash is at the “typical” steep angle, forget about it :( It is as most describe, futile  maneuvering for the most part, I’ll end up cycling through the 3 levels of zoom only to get different views of the crash’s inner wall, sometimes the dead space between the inner & outer walls, or some mix of outer wall and terrain. It’s rare to get a view of what’s desired or aimed at, that being the contents of the crash itself. This is a long-standing problem, obviously not ranking high on the priority list right now. I will say though, given the type of game Astroneer is, a third person POV works quite well overall. Just a few scenarios in which a more focused, up close POV would be preferable.