SES_joe

Update 0.6.5 - March 15th, 2018

The problem is not solved by pressing any buttons. Half the world has become a zone where no valid left mouse button. The problem is both on the surface and underground. In this problem area does not work anything that you can do with the left mouse button, for example, to lift objects and put them on the car. It is impossible to play. Help.

Please fix the rovers. I can't even pull out of my underground base because the rover won't climb the grade which isn't that steep. I thought it was the trailer so I dropped it but it still will not climb out. PITA having to redo my ramps. Also, I have had a problem when exiting the rover it would jump up and bury itself half underground and I would have to dig it out. I think I found a solution in that I put on an open three seat instead of a single seat and it seems to have alleviated that.

21 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

So it's pretty much pointless to have directional cables. Electrical current is already smart enough to know what direction to go. Maybe they could just add those little marching chevrons on all cables. Show the flow of power, directional or bi-directional but only when power is being drawn. If nothing is drawing power then keep them grayed out.

I absolutely agree here. Can't see a reason, why the cables shouldn't be bi-directional, it's actually a pretty neat feature.

In the new updated interaction UI, I didn't see a "Pause" feature. Most of the time I would rather pause a print then cancel it especially on longer prints like the large storage that takes about a 1:20 minute to print. Canceling the print or fabrication should be done through the control panel. And if you pause, you can resume later. Also noticed that the printer, shows print when printing. And the research chambers should also have the ability to start operation without having to enter the control panel every time.

I still think you guys should keep the UI super simple, with simple icons that everyone has seen before. Here's some that I put together to show.

Spoiler

kJUnqyo.png

На 18.03.2018 в 04:35, сказал Beren99:

Новый патч убил одного из моих сохранить. Когда у меня был средний генератора, работу легкий и маленький аккумулятор кости к передней части большого Ровер я случайно подключить его к основанию с помощью extender. Он жизненно все детали с передней части вездехода и подключено, но теперь я не могу нажать на что-либо. Файл МТВ, а я перезарядил, опасности другие север, и т. д. это только файл, где я сделал марсоход ошибку. Большая проблема, которую необходимо исправить. В проблема случае новая база/ мобильные база Mechanic molds!

Yes, I have now the game does not work on all saves. Everywhere there are areas where it is not working the main button and this half of the planet and on the surface and under the ground. This problem occurs after connecting the Rover to the database.

There is one bug i quite literally run into often: sometimes the ground just readjusts itself up or down leaving these "rifts" in the ground which research can fall through and also occasionally it will launch you out in weird way or just not push you out at all. One upside I have noticed is that it has actually started pushing you out instead of you hitting a cave and dying. So good on you devs.

Хочу уточнить проблему. Моя проблема всегда возникает при выходе из вездехода. Он взлетает в воздух и падает. После этого левая кнопка мыши перестает работать и нет возможности играть после этого. после обновления не могу играть и ждать патча

Whoever programs the terrain in this game needs to have a passion for something other than rocks. I terraformed a pad and take two minutes to go fill up my tanks with dirt and come back and there are huge rocks in my newly created pad. Kind of ridiculous. Please not so many rocks. A few little annoyances like this otherwise the game is a lot of fun. Oh yeah, fix the rovers please so they can climb more than a 1% grade. Thank you. 

Time to step away from the game for a while. Getting too frustrating when the rovers are basically useless if you are trying to pull trailers. I think I also have rocknaphobia. 186 hours played since the 0.6.2 update and just not worth playing until they get the rover and rock thing taken care of.

54 минуты назад говорил pbartbar:

Время отойти от игры на некоторое время. Слишком НП, когда марсоходы в принципе бесполезен, если вы домашних животных тянуть цене. Я думаю, что у меня тоже есть rocknaphobia. 186 часов играл с обновление 0.6.2 и просто не стоит играть, пока они не получат Ровер и рок позаботились.

Yes, I stopped playing and waiting for the patch. Many don't play and wait.

8 hours ago, Dujk said:

Yes, I stopped playing and waiting for the patch. Many don't play and wait.

That's kinda the nature of Early Access.
You play, eventually hit a wall and wait for updates.

11 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

That's kinda the nature of Early Access.
You play, eventually hit a wall and wait for updates.

eta?

I think it would be difficult to deny that the 0.6.5 update needs hotfixes to address the game-breaking bugs it has introduced.  We, the population of loyal pre-alpha and alpha testers which SystemEra thank every time I launch the game, are drifting in ones and twos to the "uninstall and wait for news" camp.

The longer we wait with an unplayable game, the more of the experienced testing population SystemEra loses. Most of us are happy to deal with the "hilarious" bugs, but a game which is less interactive than a youtube video is not what we signed up for.  We need a workable interface back, and I for one hope that we will see a hotfix post haste to give us that.   Let me back in to this awesome game :)

I'm sorry, but the U.I. seems to be getting worse. Having to not only click, but hold a buton to make something happen is completely unintuitive to say the least. Just wrong, no! no! no!

This could so easily be a mouse only game for pc but why make it so much more complicated than it has to be? It must be the ONLY game I've ever played that has this kind of crazy interface.

Also, a little bug...sometimes I cannot make selections in the research menu backpack thingy, it just closes when I try to make a selection and I can only change this if I first open the ordinary back pack first.

Still playing, keep up the good work.

14 hours ago, nerb said:

I'm sorry, but the U.I. seems to be getting worse. Having to not only click, but hold a buton to make something happen is completely unintuitive to say the least. Just wrong, no! no! no!

This could so easily be a mouse only game for pc but why make it so much more complicated than it has to be? It must be the ONLY game I've ever played that has this kind of crazy interface.

Also, a little bug...sometimes I cannot make selections in the research menu backpack thingy, it just closes when I try to make a selection and I can only change this if I first open the ordinary back pack first.

Still playing, keep up the good work.

The original UI could only allow them so much...so a change was necessary in order to allow more elements to be added to the game.
It's still extremely easy, in my opinion it's even more informative now.

Posted (edited)

Re the dodgy rover controls, I don't think the problem is the halo driving system (which worked fine in that game) per se.

The issue seems to be that the system requires the analog sticks to spend a moment in the null position when changing from steering left to right, or going forwards to backwards etc.

If you go straight from one extreme to the other without stopping a moment at "null"  the system doesn't seem to register the change, and interprets the input as one constant.

I.e. if you go straight from steering left to right without pausing at "null", the system doesn't detect the change, and you keep going left.

Edited by Ephraim Stone

Wanted to let the Devs know about a bug/glitch that, if exploited, can result in enormous quantities (basically limitless) of ore production from a single nugget of resource using a rather unique and peculiar setup. I am mentioning this here, and not filing a bug report, because (1) I did not discover the bug/glitch, (2) I’ve already asked the individual who first mentioned the bug/glitch (in an Xbox Astroneer club I help out with, serving as an admin for) to file said report and don’t want to end up with duplicate reports, and (3) prefer not to highlight or draw more attention than necessary to this bug/glitch. I’ll do my best to describe their demonstration of it (they made a game clip of it, a “tutorial” of sorts-I’m guessing other players were hounding them for details, but I asked them to remove it from the club on principle more than anything, so other members are aware exploits shouldn’t be posted or “promoted” in the club). Not sure if this has been posted to YouTube I don’t check that frequently.

They had the XL platform (I believe that’s the one) with two smelters mounted, and they were using a splitter to power the platform (apparently this glitch only works under low power flow conditions, so they had the switch turned down, but obviously not off). Using this setup, one nugget of malachite or laterite would generate an infinite amount of ore, which they demonstrated by continually removing a block of ore from the smelter (the ore appeared to be was smelted instantly as well, with no apparent delay creating an ore block like there is currently in the game). The ore precursor block was never fully consumed. This was on Xbox One, I don’t know if it works the same on PC. This individual told me they only play on Xbox, iirc. I’m not sure if it matters, but in their clip all of the smelter slots (besides the one holding the malachite or laterite block) were filled with blocks of ore that’d already beensmelted. In a matter of a few minutes they had a small mountain of copper ore, next to a ridiculous amount of aluminum they’d already produced. To be sure this borders on being one of those “hilarious” bugs, simply because there’s no possibie way anyone could use the resulting amount of ore in a game :P but at the same time, it’s also quite game-breaking to an extent, it certainly would be if the game were in full release. If the bug/glitch hasn’t received much attention, my guess is it’s down to the odd combination of the platform (I know I haven’t printed one of those yet) and the low power flow situation. A unique combination for sure. Anyway, just wanted to let the Devs know about it. Like many others I hope there will be a hotfix issued as opposed to waiting around for the next update which will probably be awhile. I know I’ve encountered some issues myself, although (knock on wood) I’ve yet to encounter the worst one (the non-interaction, “dead zone” bug).

So far I’ve had one game where my entire habitat and base (on Terran) went dead. I was able to recycle my starter pack, and from there o could create new useable platforms and modules but everything I’d made before then was totally dead, the habitat made no power, no platforms conducted power, etc. Nothing worked I had to create everything anew. I didn’t really bother doing everything all over again, but I wanted to try troubleshooting the issue which is why I recycled the starter pack. That seemed to fix the issue with the platforms and modules, but I still have no explanation for why the hab went completely dead.

The other issue, one that’s quite prevalent actually, has to do with small item (small solar, wind, organic generator, and I’m guessing the workloght too although I’ve not tested it) placement and a tendency for these to vanish into thin air if the game doesn’t like where you place them :o  This has happened many times, across multiple saves, all of them new to this update. While attempting to place a small item (that generates its own platform) on the ground or while moving said item from one location to another, there must be some error generated (my theory anyway) like “invalid location” something like that. Instead of putting the item back to its previous location or snapping it onto something nearby (like placing on a nearby platform slot, or putting it into your backpack) the item just “disappears.” :( I did search the bug reports section, and there are some other players who’ve experienced this. I’m glad I’m not alone. The item will show back up most of the time, but it’s random where it will appear (at least as far as I can tell). I’ve seen items teleported to on top of the large habitat, appear later under the habitat, sometimes I’ve found them some distance from the hab/base just sitting out on the terrain somewhere, but they weren’t put there and didn’t drift there as a result of some storm they were “placed” there by the game after they disappeared. Very strange. I think this may have to do with the whole “cart-generation” system the small items now employ when placed on the ground, and as I theorized perhaps when the game registers an invalid location or improper placement (maybe it registers a collision-type error idk) it freaks out and the object goes missing, but later there’s an item check and it shows back up (I have no idea, I don’t know anything about coding or game development, just reporting what I’ve experienced and a few guesses). I don’t use vehicles much, so I’ve avoided much of the grief they’ve been causing this update.

There is one issue, not related to this update,  but I keep forgetting to bring it up. It’s a game-killer though so I do need to mention it. There’s one type of spacewreck (crash) the type you gather resources from (in other words, not a satellite) that has a mangled outer lip of wreckage an Astroneer can become trapped in, and can’t escape from. This has the potential to kill a game, especially now that y’all have removed the ability to force quit Astroneer and have the game “not” save (something I don’t agree with; for a game that’s in Alpha stage there can be all sorts of reasons to want to leave your game without it saving, and for those of us on Xbox One force quitting to the Xbox home menu was the only method we had of salvaging a game save where something like this happened and now it appears we’ve had this option taken away from us and for no good reason I can think of). Please fix the borders of this spacecraft, so a player can’t become trapped inside that warped outer lip of wreckage. My character has been trapped on two separate occasions, and each time the only way I was able to escape was making use of the animation for entering a chair. That animation forced the game to remove my character from the wreckage. I’d suggest removing that portion, or coding it as solid so it has collision effects, whatever you call it, so the Astroneer character cannot enter that space and become stuck. Thanks for listening.

Overall I have to agree in terms of the UI that, that while I appreciate (as an Xbox One player) the attempt to lessen use of the cursor (and I do find the backpack interface much better overall, not requiring use of cursor to run through the options or print), the removal of cursor-driven switches in favor of the context action ”hold” buttons has not turned out so well. Perhaps with fine tuning it will become a better experience, but right now it’s a mess. Over 50% of the time the game does something other than what is intended when attempting to use this new context action interface. Instead of enetering something, the terrain tool is deployed. Instead of interacting with something that’s right in front of me, highlighted even, the catalog opens. Terribly frustrating, especially when we had a system in place that worked. I’m sure people complained about using the cursor with gamepad, it’s a bit of a chore but at least you could depend on it doing what you selected to do, not this “maybe it will, maybe it won’t” where you can count on repeating a lot of button presses to actually get anything accomplished, it’s inefficient and really seems unnecessary at this point. I don’t play on PC, but if I did I certainly wouldn’t want to hold a key down for anything, that wouldn’t make any sense at all, not when there’s an entire keyboard (and mouse control) to work with. Tbh I thought this entire notion (of holding down a button as a means of input) was added to the game to provide an alternative for players using gamepads only, not a new control scheme PC kb/m players would be using for Astroneer. Perhaps there are plans down the road for which this implementation is necessary? I guess we’ll have to wait and see. 

Sorry for the length, as well as any typos and such that might sneak through :P 

Hello. After saying I was going to walk away from the game for a while because my heavy use of the rover and pulling trailers has kind of hit a brick wall with the under powering of the rover and all the rocks that magically appear right in my path when trying to explore, I decided to start a new game. Well, now not only do I have my rover flying all over the place when I exit it my large shuttle now does the same thing. It flew out of my base and is suspended in mid air. I can get in but if I exit out again it will fly off somewhere else. I will try and shuttle some fuel to it and launch and come back to base to see what happens when I exit again.

ASTRONEER (Game Preview)  3_26_2018 12_18_01 PM.png

On 24/03/2018 at 4:09 PM, Wyvyrias said:

The original UI could only allow them so much...so a change was necessary in order to allow more elements to be added to the game.
It's still extremely easy, in my opinion it's even more informative now.

Perhaps that depends on the player imput....PC, Xbox etc. As a PC player it is not intuitive to hold any key down for anything on any other game I've playet (yet).

2 hours ago, nerb said:

Perhaps that depends on the player imput....PC, Xbox etc. As a PC player it is not intuitive to hold any key down for anything on any other game I've playet (yet).

Controls and the actual UI are not the same.
Controls will be more specified to each input eventually. Just like we eventually get actual rover steering for PC.

@#$#@%@$ are you trying to tick people off with all these rocks so they don't play any more?