SES_joe

Update 0.6.5 - March 15th, 2018

13 hours ago, CobraA1 said:

Because of Halo. Halo set this as the standard for vehicle controls in games that use a controller (like the Xbox), but this style of control does not translate well at all to mouse and keyboard. Also, there is currently an odd bug where the A and D keys move the vehicle forward.

Well perhaps they should stop treating the PC users like Xbox users because most of us (not all) don't use a controller when playing Astroneer.

As for driving, Astoneer isn't your typical driving game, perhaps the only vehicle would be a medium rover when out joy riding but when it comes to operating the larger rovers, it needs to operate more like a construction vehicle. It's nearly impossible to back up straight with a trailer without going sideways. Just trying to back up to another rover to hook up is such a pain. Especially if you have moved your camera overhead when trying to backup. It will literally start spinning on the spot.

After operating the large rover on arid, I have to reverse my previous statement about the handling over rough terrain. it's worse than ever now. I was constantly getting high center on little rocks, quite annoying.

Spoiler

I19VNiJ.png

It seems like the team is designing these assets before actually testing them over rough terrain. Perhaps they should consider creating the chassis first without anything on them but the suspension & tires and go out & test them. Make adjustments to them and then add the exterior to the rovers. Also if they need help in this area, maybe consulting with someone that specializes in off-road vehicles. Look at the game like" SpinTires MudRunner". Maybe someone on their team can help you guys out.

And before I forget, after operating the crane on the rover and once again, "NO BRAKES!" :(

8 часов назад, сказал DanielCoffey:

Гугл periodic : "была возможность зацепиться небольшой Ровер в большой"

На форуме обычно на английском языке, но это точный перевод вашего вопроса?Там отсутствует отрицательным?

large and small Rover together you can't pin now

Только сейчас, сказал Андерсен:

большие и Мале Rover вместе теперь нельзя

you can't pin

2 минуты назад, сказал Андерсен:

большие и Мале Rover вместе теперь нельзя

Вы не можете pest

1 минуту назад, сказал Андерсен:

большие и Мале Ровер теперь вместе нельзя

Вы не можете Пешт

соединить маленький и большой марсоход невозможно

I'm starting to really hate directional power.  Not because it's there, but because it's forced.  I'd like to see the extenders and splitter be able to switch between directional and non-directional.  Anyone else think this would be a good change?

2 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

It seems like the team is designing these assets before actually testing them over rough terrain. Perhaps they should consider creating the chassis first without anything on them but the suspension & tires and go out & test them. Make adjustments to them and then add the exterior to the rovers. Also if they need help in this area, maybe consulting with someone that specializes in off-road vehicles. Look at the game like" SpinTires MudRunner". Maybe someone on their team can help you guys out.

I have never done any off-road driving for real, but I do have played and still play Spintires. You do get stuck very likely when driving over rocks. I'd figure that it's the same in real life. The solution: don't drive over rocks.

In Astroneer, you are driving through uncharted rough terrain on another planet, it is only wise to drive around any obstacles. (Driving the Apollo project's moon buggy wasn't a piece of cake either, I'd imagine.) I got the impression that the frequency of rock fields has been reduced in recent releases, so it is totally possible to avoid them. I do like that you can't go from A to B in a straight line and that you are required to plan your route to avoid issues.

On 3/15/2018 at 6:23 PM, spinlock_1977 said:

Excepting the tone of frustration, I agree.  My fingers don't want those two things on the same key for some reason.

ctrl+left click is the same as holding q and alt+left click is the same as holding E

On 3/12/2018 at 2:32 PM, SES_joe said:

• Medium Platform B - More compact version of the Medium Platform, costs 250 Bytes to research and 1 Resin to print. 
  • Large Platform B - More compact version of the Large Platform, costs 500 Bytes to research and 2 Resin to print. 
  • Large Platform C - Winged version of the Large Platform which swaps the Tier 2 side slots for 20 Tier 1 slots, costs 2000 Bytes to unlock and 2 Aluminum to print. 
  • Large Platform D - Two-tiered platform with 10 Tier 2 storage slots, costs 2000 Bytes to unlock and 2 Aluminum to print. 
  • Extra Large Platform - An octagonal platform with a single Tier 4 slot, and eight cable sockets, costs 3000 Bytes to unlock and 2 Aluminum to print. 
  • Extra Large Storage - A domed Tier 4 storage platform that prints on top of a Large Rover, or an XL Platform. It contains 31 Tier 1 storage slots, costs 3000 Bytes to unlock, and 2 Compound and 2 Aluminum to print.

-jt

I like some of the new platforms but I am genuinely curious about the of Large C and Extra large. Large D with Medium storage holds 80 and is more convenient to move them around while on a medium storage than transfer into and out of inventory.

Why build extra large platform and storage if it holds less, does not let me transfer in bulk and I can't even see everything on it at once. Looks kinda neat but its super inefficient with base space, capacity, easy of use, and overall usefulness.

Same complaints with Large C if those were turned into tier 2 slots it would be awesome, currently its just inconvenient compared to moving things around while they are on the medium storage.

Loving the game so far and these cool updates just a few complaints and observations. Thanks for what you do guys. This game is beautiful.

Halo was NOT the start of vehicle controls on a console.  Nintendo was perfecting that long before Microsoft.  And beside, I thought the vehicle control in Halo on the PC with keyboard and mouse was pretty darn good anyway.

With the new vehicle update, Im having a difficult time getting back into the seat as well as I feel the medium rover is having a more difficult time being used in a train. As to re-entering the seat on the medium rover, I have to take it off and put it in different places to try to get back in, so far thats the only temporary fix for me to get back in.

17 minutes ago, Nargg said:

Halo was NOT the start of vehicle controls on a console.  Nintendo was perfecting that long before Microsoft.  And beside, I thought the vehicle control in Halo on the PC with keyboard and mouse was pretty darn good anyway.

I would be fine with it if W and S were not depending on camera direction. I want a front and back of vehicle.

4 minutes ago, Pavlichenko said:

I would be fine with it if W and S were not depending on camera direction. I want a front and back of vehicle.

Welcome to the club!  The vehicle control scheme has been one of the top complaints since the beginning (December 2016). 

It seems a lot of new people have joined the Astroneer ranks since Joe first calmed our fears about the controls.  So for those who missed it the first time around, the following quote is from the Patch 221 thread. 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, SES_joe said:

As always, rovers are still a work in progress, and we hope to have a complete overhaul of their physics, maneuverability, and controls when we get to our 1.0 launch. 

2 hours ago, Pavlichenko said:

I like some of the new platforms but I am genuinely curious about the of Large C and Extra large. Large D with Medium storage holds 80 and is more convenient to move them around while on a medium storage than transfer into and out of inventory.

Why build extra large platform and storage if it holds less, does not let me transfer in bulk and I can't even see everything on it at once. Looks kinda neat but its super inefficient with base space, capacity, easy of use, and overall usefulness.

Same complaints with Large C if those were turned into tier 2 slots it would be awesome, currently its just inconvenient compared to moving things around while they are on the medium storage.

Loving the game so far and these cool updates just a few complaints and observations. Thanks for what you do guys. This game is beautiful.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I've been thinking exactly the same thing about Large C and Extra Large.  I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a screenshot to show either of these two being used well.

Love the large D "shelf system" though. :)

New Patch has killed one of my saves. When I had a medium generator, work light and small battery attached to the front of a large Rover I accidentally reconnected it to the base via an extender. It popped all the items off the front of the rover and connected but now I cannot click on ANYTHING. The file is dead and I have reloaded, checked other saves, etc. it is only the file where I did that rover mistake. BIG PROBLEM that will need to be fixed. Otherwise the new base/ mobile base mechanics are great!

6 hours ago, Pavlichenko said:

ctrl+left click is the same as holding q and alt+left click is the same as holding E

Modifier keys are fine for modifying actions (such as the terrain tool), as that is their purpose. But just for using / examining? Not convinced.

It makes it feel like an old flight sim - but old flight simulators had an excuse because they had hundreds of actions. Astroneer doens't really have a "hundreds of potential actions" problem.

Is there an ETA on the bug fix for the Printers/Fabricators not seeing the new Platforms? I would rather avoid having to make new ones and leave the old ones somewhere.

3 hours ago, CobraA1 said:

Modifier keys are fine for modifying actions (such as the terrain tool), as that is their purpose. But just for using / examining? Not convinced.

It makes it feel like an old flight sim - but old flight simulators had an excuse because they had hundreds of actions. Astroneer doens't really have a "hundreds of potential actions" problem.

I agree we should have much better options, just letting you know there is an option until we get that.

When this update first came out (0.6.5) I made note of potential issues with old saves and the medium fabricator possibly not showing all the new items available for crafting after being unlocked via the catalog in the Astroneer-based club on Xbox One I assist with (I serve as an admin, helping the club owner/creator). One of the members, who happens to play on both Xbox and PC iirc, left a comment stating if players were planning to use their old saves they could utilize the “recycle function” at the landing pad to renew their “starter kit” (medium platform & medium fabricator). I have not tried this so I can’t say if this works, so I’m only mentioning this as a possibility but can’t verify it at this time. I play Astroneer only on Xbox One, I play across several GTs (accounts) and have at any given time around 15-18 gamesaves in existence. When an update comes out, I follow the suggestions of the Devs and delete my saves although I tend to do so in a staggered fashion. I temporarily spare the saves I’ve played most recently, and delete the rest. I don’t have a particularly sound reason for doing so. If an update has a game-breaking bug in it, it’s very likely to affect my old saves just as much as newly created ones, possibly even more so :P Wouldn’t be the first time myself (or anyone else for that matter) did something because it soothed our anxieties, even if there’s no real basis for doing so (or believing it would help) ;) I have a few old saves left per profile/account, so I’ll have to try this out sometime to see if this does indeed change what items appear as craftable on the fabricator menu. If this does work, it would allow players to avoid tossing their existing fabricator somewhere off their base (I know many have requested a recycling feature, for just this sort of scenario). I admit, it would be nice to turn some modules or other items into something else, or even convert back into some portion of their constituent starting materials (personally I’d love to be able to take many of those small batteries I find while exploring in caves and turn a pile of those into Lithium for the larger batteries, having found the small ones useless for the most part with my style of play given the current power streaming model base modules etc now employ). I don’t expect that to happen, I’m only saying it would be kind of nice xD

Someone made a comment above with reference to the Devs “needing to fix” something in relation to an old save where a rover they hooked up to their base had lost functionality (I’m not sure, I didn’t quite understand the whole situation). I just wanted to point out, updates are never guaranteed to be compatible with old, previous saves, and new saves should always be created for optimal performance when a new update is released. Playing with an old save file is always a risk. It might work, it might not, and even if it dos there are likely to be some issues. The Devs aren’t going to issues “fixes” though to make old saves compatible with new updates, that would be a monumental waste of their time. Many of us have spent a lot of time on our saves, but we must do so with the understanding that while our “worlds” are temporary,  our efforts will continue be rewarded :) 

As to the individual who responded about other games using blue as an indicator for oxygen...that’s all fine and good for those games, but that’s not relevant to the point I was trying to make. In fact the overall point about oxygen and how it is represented in game (in terms of color) was something I was bringing to the attention of the Dev team, not something I was posting here for discussion amongst other players. It’s not that I mind educating others about why oxygen canisters should be green and not blue, but that wasn’t my intent. The only reason I’m bringing it up at all has to do with the recent changes in artwork where oxygen tanks are being added to all sorts of buildings and machinery, and it’s not an accurate representation. Again, I wouldn’t bother about it except the Devs themselves said they want to make the game accurate in terms of corporate/industrial science, and imho you have to include medicine (medical science) in that as well.

International standards are clear on the one, medical oxygen gas labeling for cylinders is green (unless you’re talking about scuba or something else). What’s in the game currently looks like some comical scuba tank imho, and I think they could do better, and should do better, in terms of their goals on education with respect to science. The game uses a primary color scheme for the main base design, with bright hues of blue, red, yellow. It’s of course up to them but from my experience an oxygen tank in a proper shade of green could blend very nicely with this design. I am fully confident they could make it look amazing and accurate. Not sure what to do about the oxygen crystals (that’s the sci-fi part) but I’m confident they could come up with something to reasonably match a darker green shade. The crystals might need to be a lighter shade of green if they do choose to accurately represent the tanks. Having said that, the visibility of the “crystals” in the game really hinges a lot on their night visibility, which utilizes a luminescent-like appearance. As long as they can incorporate that luminescensce and maintain good night visibility of the crystals I’m not sure it matters a lot what color is used (meaning, the shift to green is less of a hurdle if they can make it glow xD). I wish they’d switch the power crystals back tbh to how they appeared before when they were much brighter at night, much easier to see. The power crystals may not need to be as bright as they used to be, I’ll admit, but the way in which they’ve been toned back they are not really luminescent at al anymore and I have a lot of difficulty seeing them if I am in an area where there are no tethers and I don’t have a worklight, and I am looking but for power but don’t have my suitlamp shining in the exact direction to light them up. The game is still very dark at night (and blinding during the day, colors washed out as well, hopefully this will be addressed in a future update, dawn and dusk look amazing though!) the caves are the worst of course and bringing the luminescence and brightness back to power crystals would be wonderful and very much appreciated :D 

If the Devs don't want to deal with the redesign and color aspect, or as someone mentioned above they decided to remove oxygen and go with “air” (which I doubt, it seems to work fine as is using “oxygen” most players will have no trouble relating to that in the game) they could change out the blue for a plain silver cylinder and there’d be no confusing the science with use of improper color labeling etc. Again, I don’t think they would choose this option, and I’d prefer they didn’t, simply because I like the colorful design of Astroneer. If they wanted to avoid a lot of green, that’s easy to accomplish. Many oxygen cylinders are only “topped” with the dark green color (it’s called a shoulder band I believe, something like that, although the entire cylinder can be coated with paint). So the large tank in the side of the habitat could be changed out from a somewhat comical-appearing blue one, to a silver tank with a forest green top :) Would be even better if there was an “O2” on the side (with proper subscript of course, I can’t do that right now lol). While I don’t really want to nitpick, I’d also lose the odd blue flashing bar on the side next to the tank (large habitat). It just doesn’t seem to fit with the overall design, there’s really nothing in current respirator mechanics afaik this would tie in to, but most of all it’s very large in comparison to other bits and pieces on the habitat and is quite distracting. I think having filters and other smaller monitoring-ish equipment next to the oxygen cylinder would be great ideas, but this “item” seems “odd”

I was also curious if the “power substation”-like place on the other side of the habitat, seeing as how currently the “power” (I guess that’s what it is) rises up only a little bit of height each time, if that would ever go any higher and serve as an additional visual marker for power production by the base? Not sure I made a coherent question there...lol. The power plant on the habitat I wondered of the level of power flux (the visualization) would go higher as our power output increased over time? Just curious, I know we have the platforms and their quadrant-based indicators for power but thought it might be interesting if the habitat’s power plant did something similar. In the stream the habitat (large one) had multiple doors to accommodate co-op players who were seeking shelter in time of a storm, but that doesn’t occur currently when playing co-op (the habitat doesn’t create additional doors for more players, in fact I’ve found when joining other players the landing pad isn’t used either often I’ve spawned into the “power plant” section of the habitat instead, sometimes that’s happened solo as well, when I was the only one playing my solo games). Very odd behavior indeed!

Haven’t tried the new storages yet. A friend remarked this should be labeled “The Storage Update” and I definitely agree! :P As others have mentioned, I do wonder if all of these types are truly needed. Perhaps with some modifications (after players have offered their feedback) the number can be reduced to a more manageable number, offering those storage platforms which are most efficient and useful for most players. No one wants to scroll forever in their backpack catalog.

I ran into a very odd bug I guess it was, but I’m hoping it was just a one-off experience. I had stated a fresh game, and had built out most of my initial base platforms and modules. I think I had saved once, and returned to the game but I’m not sure. I was playing and had left the game (but it remained on) and came back, but the game became progressively slower and slower (poor performance overall) and my base was producing less and less power. I didn’t have much in terms of power production yet, but I wasn’t running much yet other than research. Finally the base stopped producing power, and all power cables from the habitat and in between platforms showed no flow of power (flashing red on the cable connections). I had experienced this once before in the previous version, but in that instance only a smelter was affected (the power connector cable went dark, and the smelter couldn’t be powered directly with anything). In this instance, I could not power any platform or module with any form of power, not by direct means with small solar, small wind, organic generator, nothing worked. I tried moving things around, reattaching them, still nothing the entire base and central habitat (the large starting one) had gone completely dead. I exited the game, and loaded back in to see if that fixed things. It didn’t. Now all the cable connections were dark, and reattaching them no longer changed anything. No power attachments made any difference. If I looked at the fabricator, it showed the red lightning bolt which is what it does when no power is attached, but it was attached directly to the main habitat. Strange! I’ve never had this happen before, and I certainly hope it doesn’t happen again. I will say I’ve observed in this update less power production overall by organic generators and small items like solar and wind. Idk if the Devs nerfed these items, but it sure seems that way in the games I’ve played so far. When I add or turn on an organic generator to aid a research station, it doesn’t get much power boost at all whereas it did before (and I wasn’t using power cells to boost everything). I’m not sure what is happening or if something did change in the power streaming model (I’m not using any extenders or splitters so the direction I attach power cables shouldn’t matter afaik). I hope we don’t need to pay attention to how we attach platforms to each other, that would be too tedious to deal with all the tim worrying about directional flow. Unless I didn’t read the Patch Notes correctly, the only time directionality matters is when using extenders or splitters (or both). In the dead base example though, that wouldn’t explain why power items attched directly to a module would be incapable of powering that module (i.e. small solar should provide power to platform with printer on it, etc).

As always, love the game, thanks for all your hard work! :D 

Posted (edited)

after the update, an error occurs after which it is now impossible to play. After connecting a new car to the database button stops working the main mouse. Not running anything, but if you move away from the car then everything works. Started a new game and there's the same problem. Once you do the car and connect to the database starts the problem. who else has this problem? if it is possible to fix it write me a mail how to do it 

[Removed]
Please do not leave your email address in forum posts. People can reply here or write you a PM.

Edited by Wyvyrias
Removed email

22 hours ago, Marck said:

I have never done any off-road driving for real, but I do have played and still play Spintires. You do get stuck very likely when driving over rocks. I'd figure that it's the same in real life. The solution: don't drive over rocks.

Really? Don't drive over rocks? Kind of hard to do when they magically appear right in front of you no matter where or what planet you are traveling on. They either need to fix the clearance on the rover or stop having so many rocks materialize out of nowhere. Great game though. Love it.

On 3/17/2018 at 12:40 PM, Nargg said:

I'm starting to really hate directional power.  Not because it's there, but because it's forced.  I'd like to see the extenders and splitter be able to switch between directional and non-directional.  Anyone else think this would be a good change?

Most of the modules in the game are already directional, the only bi-directional items are the batteries. If you plug into a solar panel, it flows out or you plug into a smelter, it will flow in. The only time, the power flow direction would go both ways, is when you connect between two modules that draw power and are both connected to different sources of power or has a battery on it.

So it's pretty much pointless to have directional cables. Electrical current is already smart enough to know what direction to go. Maybe they could just add those little marching chevrons on all cables. Show the flow of power, directional or bi-directional but only when power is being drawn. If nothing is drawing power then keep them grayed out.

On 3/17/2018 at 2:45 PM, Toastie said:

With the new vehicle update, Im having a difficult time getting back into the seat as well as I feel the medium rover is having a more difficult time being used in a train. As to re-entering the seat on the medium rover, I have to take it off and put it in different places to try to get back in, so far thats the only temporary fix for me to get back in.

Use Alt+left click. Its the shortcut for holding E (ctrl+left click is the hold q equivalent) and I have found to be much more reliable for entering the seats. The seats also seem to work better while placed on the front of the vehicle (which looks silly but works).

I'm mostly loving the last couple of updates but would you please, please just make each vehicle in a train independently powered, as their modular design suggests? We can slap a seat on any chassis and it becomes an autonomous vehicle. Clearly, each has a motor, battery and drive-train. It makes no sense that if you string 2 or more together, the front one has to do all the work pulling the others, killing the overall performance and utility (and enjoyment).

If it's too problematic to deal with each trailer's performance being influenced by it's own load (meaning they'd run at different speeds), a quick solution would be to simply multiply the torque of the first car by the total number of cars in the train. i.e. as far as the programming is concerned, the front one still does the pulling.

I have a question about these lastest updates patches: How can I make my small habitat¹ (built in medium printer, with 2x cooper) turns into a large habitat², as the large habitat of the first landing area? Is it possible or will be in future? Cause, I want to build a base like the first one, in the hills, but no matter what I've tried, I can't change this small habitat, like happened with the first when I've landing.

(1): small habitat:
image.png.cccd01ca8db827820db38fb5fc7a0811.png
(2): large habitat
image.thumb.png.10b7d6c40106c9e94c955b536cd95518.png

On 15/03/2018 at 5:39 PM, vizthex said:

But do you land on the landing pad when you respawn yet? (in Singleplayer)

Also, what else will the pad be used for?

It's got 3 slots (One for each basic module and another for pods) but will it have more uses soon? (Perhaps building our own that we can land shuttles on, the landing area being like red or something instead of blue)

It can repack the base modules, to transport. Use pressed-Q or Y (on console) to open the painel