VT_Mongo

Bug leads to new gameplay

I experienced the rover bug last night where my game loaded and the rover I was in decided to take an express ride to the core of the planet and take me with it.  It was an interesting ride and i got to see how material deposits are spread throughout the planet and in a spherical shape.  When I got to the core I bounced around for a while before coming to a halt.  No amount of reloading or driving the rover would get the rover back on the surface so I got out.   My character rocketed to the surface of the planet like a cork released from the bottom of a swimming pool.  

So I get to the surface and luckily i had 3 small tanks of oxygen on me.  I realize right away that I've popped out on the other side of the world from my base and running back is not feasible at this point.  So the clock is running and I decide to see if I can survive this ordeal.  I get super lucky and find quite easily the biggest deposit of compound i have ever found in the game (yielded 14 compound by the time it was exhausted).  So with Compound I could make filters which in turn would resupply my air.  So now i needed a new base so I could have a chance at long term survival.   Ran around a bit and found enough resin to get things started.  In the end I was able to build everything i needed, not die, and now have a base exactly opposite my original.  I didn't bother making a habitat because I found that a simple cab for the rover mounted on a platform will allow you to save the game and will protect you in a storm and it doesn't take copper to make. 

So the only thing I am wondering about is the location i popped out in seems to be ultra rich in materials and research items. usually a compound or resin deposit yields 2 or 3 units of material....these deposits are giving me between 5 and 15 units.  Organic material is ultra dense, and it seems that every where I look there are research items popping up.  Wondering if this is normal and I never looked in the right place or if this is some byproduct of the rover glitch. 

Posted (edited)

Yeh one of the major issues with astroneer is getting lost, but with the ability to make a new backpack fabricator, which in turn makes a new bench, then bigger benches etc, with a little help from surface oxygen and resources, you can now just build a new base in the middle of nowhere.  So long as you've unlocked the research to do so.

So there is now a viable way of getting unlost.. you can just build a new vehicle bay, build a shuttle and then fly back to your original base, something you just couldn't do before and it opens up a whole new aspect to exploration within the game.

Edited by Martin

It was actually a fun challenge with a ticking clock....running around like a madman searching for compound so I could make filters and replenish my oxygen.  Then scrambling to build enough base to create the large platform so I would have a constant supply of oxygen. And then scrambling to build some sort of container I could climb in for saving because on occaision the game crashes and you then lose all your progress.  I've since built a new vehicle bay and rover. 

Also noticing that frame rate on Xbox seems to be much more stable than it was before 6.2.

14 hours ago, VT_Mongo said:

... Also noticing that frame rate on Xbox seems to be much more stable than it was before 6.2.

How do you display the frame rate?

22 hours ago, VT_Mongo said:

Also noticing that frame rate on Xbox seems to be much more stable than it was before 6.2.

I fully agree. I think it is too. but i do notice a harsh drop in consistency in it after you start to build rovers and shuttles and stuff like that.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, starionx said:

How do you display the frame rate?

I don't know.  I'm just going off of how the game feels and plays.  I cannot tell the difference between 30 fps and 28 fps but I have a pretty good idea how 30 fps compares to say 10 or 15 FPS.  The game would get so incredibly choppy in the past when you had a lot of tethers out or built a big chain of rovers. 

Edited by VT_Mongo

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2018 at 12:33 PM, stephan.dickinson said:

Grats on surviving long enough to get an O2 generator going.

I was very lucky because I had 3 oxygen tanks in my backpack.  I was quite disheartened when the glitch  happened but I opted to see if I could survive instead of just running until my O2 ran out.  I had made filters once before and didn't really see why they were a good thing.... luckily I remembered how the filters worked and I had a way to replenish my O2.  Now I try to keep one compound on me for backup because that doubles my O2 reserve in case I get lost. 

Also this survival story only works because this was on version 6.2....where a large platform will supply you with Oxygen and where you can build a small fabricator from scratch.  If I was on an old version I would have had run back to my old base and hope I found enough compound to keep my filters in supply. 

Edited by VT_Mongo

On 13.3.2018 at 12:57 AM, VT_Mongo said:

the rover I was in decided to take an express ride to the core of the planet and take me with it

had something similar happen, just that it decided to get stuck in the wall of a cave half way down there. when i exited, same as you... got shot skyhigh, rover stuck down there. made it my mission to find that damn thing again... which in turn led to the biggest excavation i ever made and ~5-7h of fun

they could make some kind of seperate game mod out of these kind of accidents and drop you with nothing but maybe a few oxygen tanks and some kind of random generated task (find X somewhere around Y... or survive and set up a base with A, B, C items )

9 hours ago, rackham said:

had something similar happen, just that it decided to get stuck in the wall of a cave half way down there. when i exited, same as you... got shot skyhigh, rover stuck down there. made it my mission to find that damn thing again... which in turn led to the biggest excavation i ever made and ~5-7h of fun

they could make some kind of seperate game mod out of these kind of accidents and drop you with nothing but maybe a few oxygen tanks and some kind of random generated task (find X somewhere around Y... or survive and set up a base with A, B, C items )

So did you successfully find the sunken river?