MAJOR WOODS

Using Bytes with the Trade Platform

@SES_joe 

@SES_Adam

The Trade Platform is a very useful tool for gathering materials you need. Especially when you can't find what you're looking for.

However... Wouldn't it be nice if we could use Bytes to purchase needed materials, & not just swap out materials for others?  (Not to mention that the trade-in values for rare materials are a total rip-off, but that's a totally different topic)

At some point YOU WILL research every blueprint available. Even after the game has reached version 1.0, this is inevitable. Then all the Bytes you can gather after that point become completely worthless. 

Why not just make them into a full blown currency? That way, there's always a pay-off for farming those Bytes! 

Who else thinks this is a great idea?

vote for that, that ingame should be somekind "currency system" and system for purchase items.

The balansing the prices is quite difficult. ATM to gain Bytes is too easy, so to gain Bytes should be cut to 1/10 or at least to half. Research times are ok but less Bytes from unknow items.

I have 280K Bytes atm to worth for nothing. :)

With that amount of Bytes would be quite easy to build base to every planet, just ordering materials to trade platform if using same "price" as we get Bytes from researching materials.

I think it would be cool to buy stuff with bytes but it would have to be like 2 to 3 times the amount of bytes you get from one sample (that way to reduce op-ness)

You could have it like an actual byte exchange. For example lets say base price for 4  pieces of compound is 1500 bytes. After you make the first purchase the price increases to 1750 bytes and slowly declines back to the base price after X number of days, that is if you don't cash in anymore before then. Each resource could have its on separate price and market. If you wanted to get really in depth you could tie in the trade platform to effect to market as well. Simple supply and demand, imagine this

You sell 2 Titanium for 4 compound

This drives the base "byte" price of titanium down because there is more supply in the "trade pool"

At the same time the "byte" price of compound would go up because there is less supply (and maybe at a higher rate due to volume)  

You could use this to your advantage if you had a lot of bytes saved up and had just traded in a large haul of rare resources as the "byte" price of said resources would be very low. There would have to be a leveling factor that would always return the values of base price and amount traded/received back to there original respective values over time.

I absolutely agree with y'all. If this feature were to be added, of course it would need to be balanced. I'm not suggesting that the prices be easily obtained, just that they should be obtainable through Bytes. Bytes need to have a purpose beyond buying research, so that we have a reason to keep gathering them after acquiring all blueprints. 

Now let me explain why this does not work.....

(I love being a critic)

Question 1. If you can buy resources, well then what point would there ever be in mining them.... 

Reasoning? 1. I ask this because people, I myself included, would and will find a way to use such currency to never need to dig for recourses

Question 2. Why the Devs might disapprove of this idea?

Reason 2. Because a currency system is only useful in multiplayer, and it promotes the idea that you could play the game with out exploration

Question 3. Did you think this through all the way?

Reasoning...3. Ah is it my imagination or are you alone in the solar system? Why would there exist a currency system to begin with..... This isn't an mmo... Its a survival game.... And for the most part I don't see any space shops opening up any time soon kids....

2 minutes ago, Lucalian said:

Now let me explain why this does not work.....

(I love being a critic)

Question 1. If you can buy resources, well then what point would there ever be in mining them.... 

Reasoning? 1. I ask this because people, I myself included, would and will find a way to use such currency to never need to dig for recourses

Question 2. Why the Devs might disapprove of this idea?

Reason 2. Because a currency system is only useful in multiplayer, and it promotes the idea that you could play the game with out exploration

Question 3. Did you think this through all the way?

Reasoning...3. Ah is it my imagination or are you alone in the solar system? Why would there exist a currency system to begin with..... This isn't an mmo... Its a survival game.... And for the most part I don't see any space shops opening up any time soon kids....

This can be easily balanced by raising the price to both research & produce the Trade Platform. Make it a late game item & it will be used as such. 

And if we are alone in the solar system, then who are we buying the blueprints from & why can we so casually invite/join our friends at any time? Those Bytes are valuable to someone out there. 

This game already has a currency. The devs already approved it & applied it to the game. I'm merely suggesting that it have more applications than buying blueprints. Its not just good for multi-player, it's good for late game activities, such as expansion of bases & creation of new ones.

Right now Bytes are completely worthless after researching all of the blueprints & there's absolutely no reason to gather more at that point. 

You got a better idea for what to do with Bytes, Mr/Ms "I love being a critic"? 

10 hours ago, SofterSocks said:

You could have it like an actual byte exchange. For example lets say base price for 4  pieces of compound is 1500 bytes. After you make the first purchase the price increases to 1750 bytes and slowly declines back to the base price after X number of days, that is if you don't cash in anymore before then. Each resource could have its on separate price and market. If you wanted to get really in depth you could tie in the trade platform to effect to market as well. Simple supply and demand, imagine this

You sell 2 Titanium for 4 compound

This drives the base "byte" price of titanium down because there is more supply in the "trade pool"

At the same time the "byte" price of compound would go up because there is less supply (and maybe at a higher rate due to volume)  

You could use this to your advantage if you had a lot of bytes saved up and had just traded in a large haul of rare resources as the "byte" price of said resources would be very low. There would have to be a leveling factor that would always return the values of base price and amount traded/received back to there original respective values over time.

What an excellent idea! Brilliant! 

Have you ever paid attention to science class?

You would know that There is something bigger than a solar system called a galaxy

I meant. The solar system we were in....

[Redacted]

There is a reason why they are called bytes, as in data bytes.... Say each 1byte=1mega byte then 1000bytes=1giga byte.... Its a god damn memory storage not a currency.... Its data converted into blueprints,

You were never buying anything.....

Your researching a planet.... Your exploring this solar system... Not the galaxy...

Edited by Wyvyrias
Cutting offensive language

I highly doubt Bytes ever will become a currency. You're there for materials, not knowledge.
If anything, some rare materials may provide a dummy for a currency...someday.

5 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

I highly doubt Bytes ever will become a currency. You're there for materials, not knowledge.
If anything, some rare materials may provide a dummy for a currency...someday.

What then would be the purpose in gathering anymore research once you've unlocked everything? Seems like "Strip Mine Simulator" if you remove the hunt and find aspect that research adds.

Edited by SofterSocks

Oh cool sorry about the language, I'm still a little new, •~•

But the rare materials being used as currency fits better than bytes

Although I do got to know if I was right about the whole bytes thing, it was only a guess....(I can't say its a fact)

•~• wow your creativity is lacking

Think, what could you use bytes for?

Other than currency???

Actually I have a few ideas..... Like maybe instead of it being used as just research they could add some game mechanism that requires you to use bytes in order to fuel it or something? (This was just an example)

Edited by Lucalian

Just now, Lucalian said:

•~• wow your creativity is lacking

Think, what could you use bytes for?

Other than currency???

I'm just not so hung up on Bytes being a literal term in a Si-Fi video game about space exploration...

It just seems like a big game mechanic to just loose completely once you've unlocked everything.

Oh no I agree on that ... I fully agree.... I just hate the idea of it being called currency to begin with....

Maybe they could introduce an actual currency (I think its already listed on upcoming updates). Different planets could have different base resource values. For example on Arid titanium and lithium would have less value because they are more common. Making it more benifincal to mine resources and haul them back via shuttle to cash out.

See, there you go, ideas, but um..... I think.... If you know that each planet has a higher amount of a specific resource,... Then you know, why not just go to that planet....?

This is why I suggested bigger planets, because I figures that the main reason or back story of the game was more or less.....your in said solar system to explore, research, and survive, how ever they said it had a little more to do with, your ment to collect recourses but I do feel they stay away from currency because it removes any fun exploration from the game.... Once you add currency it becomes a farming sim about getting that currency

That's why it more reasonable to use a trade system not a currency system...

Of course this comes from a solo player.....

I have always been a solo player, •~• 

Edited by Lucalian

With the upcoming update releasing so many new structures i doubt a byte overage will be a problem for a while. (For solo players anyways)

19 minutes ago, SofterSocks said:

With the upcoming update releasing so many new structures i doubt a byte overage will be a problem for a while. (For solo players anyways)

Fool, I live to be better than kids who play with others...

I also have like hours on my hands.... 

So I spend that time playing how I like to play,

By myself... In a secluded room

My point is, its still a problem no matter single or multiplayer, and what your implying is that solo players don't face this problem (as much), however,....

I have nothing to do and Ive explored and made a base on all the planets, its why I want different/more planets to begin with....

Because I even found this weird box thing that seems to look like the research thing on your back but I don't know what it does and aggghhhh 

Edited by Lucalian
To sound less rude than is

4 minutes ago, Lucalian said:

Fool, I live to be better than kids who play with others...

I also have like hours on my hands.... 

So I spend that time playing how I like to play,

By myself... In a secluded room

My point is, its still a problem no matter single or multiplayer, and what your implying is that solo players don't face this problem (as much), however,....

I have nothing to do and Ive explored and made a base on all the planets, its why I want different/more planets to begin with....

Because I even found this weird box thing that seems to look like the research thing on your back but I don't know what it does and aggghhhh 

Same. Except for the box thing. What is it? Like a miniature research chamber crate before you unpack it? Share a picture of it. 

10 minutes ago, MAJOR WOODS said:

Same. Except for the box thing. What is it? Like a miniature research chamber crate before you unpack it? Share a picture of it. 

Oh wait! I know what you're talking about. They put that in the game before the research update as an Easter Egg. 

Sorry. I misread your comment the 1st time. Just noticed the part where you said it was on your back. 

One thing have to think before we start trading materials. With mineral extrator is quite easy to made resources for traiding. I think that there should be somekind visual difference between resources that are mined from deposit or done by mineral extractor. Also price and research bytes between mined and manufactured resources should be different.

4 minutes ago, Gillberd Törötukka said:

One thing have to think before we start trading materials. With mineral extrator is quite easy to made resources for traiding. I think that there should be somekind visual difference between resources that are mined from deposit or done by mineral extractor. Also price and research bytes between mined and manufactured resources should be different.

Absolutely! Splendid idea. 

5 hours ago, Gillberd Törötukka said:

What if they added precious gems or metals deep in the caves that could be mined for the purpose of funding the economy. Don't hate the reference but think diamonds in Minecraft.  

16 minutes ago, SofterSocks said:

What if they added precious gems or metals deep in the caves that could be mined for the purpose of funding the economy. Don't hate the reference but think diamonds in Minecraft.  

That would be kool. I like that idea. Still doesn't give Bytes a purpose after researching is done though. And that's the reason why I started this thread. 

Edited by MAJOR WOODS