Wyvyrias

SES Vlog 028: Splitters & Space Kamehamehas

Recommended Posts

I can foresee a future where they add adjustable sensors, timers, and actuators that make all kinds of power automation possible. For example switching to generator power when the sun is down might be possible. Excited at the potential with this line of thinking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have liked to have seen the splitter behaviour when dealing with omnidirectional power flow. Or does it not work like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ThePlumGate said:

I would have liked to have seen the splitter behaviour when dealing with omnidirectional power flow. Or does it not work like that?

Fairly sure that splitter flow will be directional only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this device will be extremely usefull, especially to mesure your power production . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't platforms already four-way splitter as it is? I'm just trying to figure out where I could use these splitters. It's not that hard to disconnect the cable between platforms and get the same result. Perhaps if these splitters would have more options to allow you to switch to other power supplies during nighttime operations. Maybe a light sensitive sensor that turns on at night to operate your organic generators.

There's something that Elijah said about hybrid standard connections and directional. "You could combining the two in interesting way and you'll come up with some cool behaviors." What cool behaviors is he talking about? By looking at the base layout that Elijah was demonstrating the splitter. If you needed battery power to go back to the first platform, you'd need to re-connect everything. That doesn't make much sense. Also I'm guessing, you'll only be able to see these arrows on the directional extenders cables, not the standard cables. Hmm, perhaps you could give us a new kind of Extenders that uses the standard connection cable. So if we use them between platforms, we'd get arrows going in both directions depending on the flow of power.

Nice to see a sneak peek of the new vehicles. The extra large rover, I'd have to say that one small battery, it didn't even last 8 seconds, damn! As for the six wheels, I always thought that the middle wheels weren't supposed to turn, only the front & rear. Similar to how the curiosity rover would turn. The small rover looks pretty neat but I did noticed that it's has problems traversing steep edges. Perhaps the team should check out videos on slow rock crawlers to get some ideas but also do check out the fast rock crawlers, they're fun to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Splitters seem to be a feature designed by developers instead of game designers. Of all the things game designers can do with power in this game, this should be pretty low on the list. Better power-related features would in our opinion be:

  • Power switches.
    • manual operated
      An inline switch operated by simply clicking the button above it. These could also have a bigger version that allows for more connections or more power. More power? Yes, because the developers could at some point decide to have power cables only allow for a certain amount of power to flow through.
    • sensor operated (light/wind)
      A small inline module which has a configuration board that allows you to choose conditions which enable power flow through the switch.
       
  • Bi-directional extenders
    Biggest issue is the absence of bi-directional power lines. ALL power cables in the game allow for bi-directional power flow; except extender cables. It doesn't make sense game-design wise as extenders will mostly be used locally. A more distant base will probably have it's own power source(s). Also, it's currently better to use lights as an extender as 1. they are bi-directional, 2. they also light your base and 3. they're kind of the same cost. Yes, currently 1 copper yields 5 extenders, but that could be changed to 1 to really lay emphasis the need to expend with a second base.
     
  • Batteries
    Almost nobody uses the current batteries (small especially) because they're almost never needed. The bigger ones are too expensive using lithium. Instead we decided to simply go for an array of medium rovers. They are pretty much the cheapest batteries a base can get plus they offer free storage slots for medium storage too. Instead we'd like to see:
    • medium batteries based on 1 lithium and copper/aluminum.
    • big(ger) batteries for planets with long cycles or very active bases. The medium ones take up too much space.
       
  • Lights
    The current work lights are nice but unfortunately take up space, cannot be driven over with rovers and light only small areas. Though that last one is fine, a bigger or other lighting options are welcome. For example:
    • Big floodlights
      These could be place in the middle of a base (umbrella lighting) or at corners (work-/floodlight). These could come with a built-in light sensor and have slots for small/medium batteries.
    • Platform lights
      Lights no longer would need to be placed on top of a platform slot but would have a dedicated spot or slot where you could stick/insert them. Sticking them on top would generated more top-lighting. Inserting them would create more of a glow around the base of the platform.
    • Colored lights
      Who wouldn't want color-coded base areas or have the option to self-create a dedicated launch site using different colored 'markers'. Perhaps next up could be flashing lights with 1, non epilepsy inducing, blinking rate. That would also prevent players from ever needing a disco ball :).
       
  • Splitters
    There they are, at the bottom of the list O:-). It seems like the proposed splitter can't be driven over by a rover; which makes them equal to medium platforms for splitting purposes. The need to only power certain areas of a base seems useless when we can already control the activity of individual base modules (like the smelter) and/or when we have switches (currently done through (dis)connecting cables. What we've seen in numerous Astroneer sessions is that players simply wait longer for stuff to finish and control for example the module activity (mostly smelter) or disconnect cables. This means it would make more sense for all base modules to have on/off switches and for switches to make it into the game.

Would like to hear on-topic feedback regarding the above. Astroneer is a game where power management can and should be fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:37 AM, godynl said:

Batteries
Almost nobody uses the current batteries (small especially) because they're almost never needed. The bigger ones are too expensive using lithium. Instead we decided to simply go for an array of medium rovers. They are pretty much the cheapest batteries a base can get plus they offer free storage slots for medium storage too. Instead we'd like to see:

  • medium batteries based on 1 lithium and copper/aluminum.
  • big(ger) batteries for planets with long cycles or very active bases. The medium ones take up too much space.

You are wrong. I use the medium batteries on all my bases and set up huge banks of them. Beats the crap out of having to use generators to power at night. All you have to do is go to Arid and set up a small base to do lithium mining from. It's a fun part of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

POWER LINES?

 

A possibility with all this new splitters and power system is having power lines like we do on earth. it would free up space on the ground and the power would be easier trying to lay out a power grid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 3:36 PM, solidsteve14 said:

I can foresee a future where they add adjustable sensors, timers, and actuators that make all kinds of power automation possible. For example switching to generator power when the sun is down might be possible. Excited at the potential with this line of thinking!

That's a fantastic idea! I'd love it if the generators would just come on at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 1:56 AM, Patek said:

You should fix optimization first, not adding new features.

That isn't how game development works. And a lot of this may be debugging code in the game that makes it choppy... but I read your posts about your own experienecs. I would suggest you start with a fresh install of Windows or whatever OS youäre using because obviously you're doing something wrong. I'm on a medium range laptop and it plays just fine. Just a few frame drops occasionally like during storms but otherwise its fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 5:56 PM, pbartbar said:

You are wrong. I use the medium batteries on all my bases and set up huge banks of them. Beats the crap out of having to use generators to power at night. All you have to do is go to Arid and set up a small base to do lithium mining from. It's a fun part of the game.

Cool to hear how we all play different :), thanks for sharing. I agree the off-planet mining makes the game more fun. However the terran planet is so big that, unless you want loads of lithium/titanium/astronium/coal/hematite, the need to go off-planet is small. The forementioned resources in my opinion yield little benefit in mid/late game since by that time players have already built pretty much everything on terran with the available resources.

Since we both seem to play quite differently: do you ever research individual resources like compound, titanium, etc? They yield bytes but there are plenty of research items on terran that it almost feels like wasting resources for doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bill Sargent said:

That isn't how game development works. And a lot of this may be debugging code in the game that makes it choppy... but I read your posts about your own experienecs. I would suggest you start with a fresh install of Windows or whatever OS youäre using because obviously you're doing something wrong. I'm on a medium range laptop and it plays just fine. Just a few frame drops occasionally like during storms but otherwise its fine. 

For You and everybody that tells me that my specs are old or too low for this game, check my specs... My pc can run more cpu demanding games than astroneer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have yet to explore the power setups in the latest update, i do have some questions about the new platforms and rovers.

 

1: I researched the new storage but can not see how to craft the new models, has this been implemented yet ?

2: Im liking the extra large storage dome but after putting one on the large rover i see that it has 31 single slots in comparison to the 32 single slots of the medium storage units that can be used or the 64 available when using medium storage with the large storage, is this an oversight or intentional due to maybe some up coming modules ? 

3: I have used the new rover designs and they are amazing, i have noticed one major advantage of the new slots on the front/rear, i have used these to hold the single seat and works amazingly i can now drive a crane on a medium rover as a single unit, if this is to stay available would it be possible to allow the seat to attached by the rear of the seat, kind feels silly driving a rover with the seat on its side and driver facing sideways lol.

4: Would it be possible to allow a rover with a crane to be driven from the crane seat (like a digger) ? this would be a great solution to the fact that the rover/train can drift in the storms when in the crane seat, also would prevent accidentally falling into a cavern uncovered while drilling.

5: A drilling machine (head) that fits to the front and when used creates a hole big enough for the rover to pass through while leaving the ground flat creating a road of sorts.

 

I have more suggestions and/or requests lol, but keep up the great work and this game is getting better and better.

 

For information purposes i play on the xbox one.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Deliverence 197 said:

I have yet to explore the power setups in the latest update, i do have some questions about the new platforms and rovers.

 

1: I researched the new storage but can not see how to craft the new models, has this been implemented yet ?

2: Im liking the extra large storage dome but after putting one on the large rover i see that it has 31 single slots in comparison to the 32 single slots of the medium storage units that can be used or the 64 available when using medium storage with the large storage, is this an oversight or intentional due to maybe some up coming modules ? 

3: I have used the new rover designs and they are amazing, i have noticed one major advantage of the new slots on the front/rear, i have used these to hold the single seat and works amazingly i can now drive a crane on a medium rover as a single unit, if this is to stay available would it be possible to allow the seat to attached by the rear of the seat, kind feels silly driving a rover with the seat on its side and driver facing sideways lol.

4: Would it be possible to allow a rover with a crane to be driven from the crane seat (like a digger) ? this would be a great solution to the fact that the rover/train can drift in the storms when in the crane seat, also would prevent accidentally falling into a cavern uncovered while drilling.

5: A drilling machine (head) that fits to the front and when used creates a hole big enough for the rover to pass through while leaving the ground flat creating a road of sorts.

 

I have more suggestions and/or requests lol, but keep up the great work and this game is getting better and better.

 

For information purposes i play on the xbox one.

 

 

 

Its ok i found the answer to question 1 by starting a new game lol

for question 5 i have had a thought, because of the new rovers the tunnel device could be a 2 slot device, 1 needed for the small (When released) one for the medium rover and two required for the large rover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 3:54 PM, godynl said:

Since we both seem to play quite differently: do you ever research individual resources like compound, titanium, etc? They yield bytes but there are plenty of research items on terran that it almost feels like wasting resources for doing so.

I research compound in the very begging to get some stuff going while I run off to find larger items to research. Found one last night worth over 8k bytes. I ignore the smaller versions of stuff. like windmill, solar, and batteries and get the nicest ones because the smaller ones don't seem worth the setback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pavlichenko said:

I research compound in the very begging to get some stuff going while I run off to find larger items to research. Found one last night worth over 8k bytes. I ignore the smaller versions of stuff. like windmill, solar, and batteries and get the nicest ones because the smaller ones don't seem worth the setback.

Just a pointer, but a small windmill costs half and produces half vs a medium windmill. Coupled with a medium storage, this makes them more efficient as you can have the equivalent of 4 medium turbines attached to 1 twin slot.

They can also stand alone meaning if you find aluminium early in the game you can use wind without using storage slots, and they are much cheaper to research. 

There's definitely very little use for researching small batteries and solar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 9:10 AM, Mak-a-Face said:

 

"Nice to see a sneak peek of the new vehicles. The extra large rover, I'd have to say that one small battery, it didn't even last 8 seconds, damn! As for the six wheels, I always thought that the middle wheels weren't supposed to turn, only the front & rear. Similar to how the curiosity rover would turn. The small rover looks pretty neat but I did noticed that it's has problems traversing steep edges. Perhaps the team should check out videos on slow rock crawlers to get some ideas but also do check out the fast rock crawlers, they're fun to watch."

I felt the same way about the rovers as Mak-a-face.   I was excited to see the new rovers and i am sure you did allot of work on them.  The rovers seem to look better then the old ones but perform worse as far as climbing and speed.   The small rover moves good but climbing is bad.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the animation of the bumper slots folding back when you plug a power line, great stuff! Don't you ever remove it! >:(:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Just a pointer, but a small windmill costs half and produces half vs a medium windmill. Coupled with a medium storage, this makes them more efficient as you can have the equivalent of 4 medium turbines attached to 1 twin slot.

They can also stand alone meaning if you find aluminium early in the game you can use wind without using storage slots, and they are much cheaper to research. 

There's definitely very little use for researching small batteries and solar. 

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. To be honest they are so finicky I don't even use windmill anymore, just solar. The new Large D storage is great for those and battery banks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 11:49 PM, Patek said:

For You and everybody that tells me that my specs are old or too low for this game, check my specs... My pc can run more cpu demanding games than astroneer. 

And I'm not saying its your specs. I'm saying there must be something else wrong. A driver... something. When others on lower end machines CAN run it ok, and you cant... its usually not the game. That is all I was trying to say. Plus .... fresh installs always feel good and clean :D

On 3/21/2018 at 2:50 PM, Archiel Arrofo said:

I'm hoping that the next update, the rovers bug jump off when exiting will be fixed. Great job to the SES Devs :)

I have learned that putting things on the front makes it a lot worse. I wanted to put "headlights" on mine :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bill Sargent said:

And I'm not saying its your specs. I'm saying there must be something else wrong. A driver... something. When others on lower end machines CAN run it ok, and you cant... its usually not the game. That is all I was trying to say. Plus .... fresh installs always feel good and clean :D

I have learned that putting things on the front makes it a lot worse. I wanted to put "headlights" on mine :D

And I learned that the Large Rover need to use a 3-Seat version so that it won't jump when you're exiting the vehicle :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.