KEVIN H

Inhibitor mod is it really needed

I am finding the current inhibitor mod cumbersome.  First, the limited storage in the pack.  Second the need to connect to the tool, when there is another workable option.  Have a built in low power, high power option.  Since I play on the X1, the right trigger is the default high power mode.   For a low power mode, have the left trigger be the switch.  If a player wants to use low power mode, they should just pull the left trigger first, then pull the right.  This way they have the functionality of the inhibitor mod but not having to sacrifice space in their inventory.   I'm sure there is a similar option for PC players as well

well left-trigger pulls you out of first-person, which is something i'm sure gets used a lot (i know i do). why not just have the amount of trigger power be the amount of terrain tool power? not enough games take advantage of the fact the triggers are analog and have a range of inputs between 'off' and 'full press'. sadly, this isn't a feature found on any computer inputs, and i know they're trying to give an identical experience regardless of platform (ie; minimal 'culture shock' if you want to play it at a friend's but they don't use the same platform you do). 

besides that, the inhibitor mod is most excellent for clearing a flattened base of new-spawn rocks. even if the trigger squeeze was related to the amount of power the tool uses, the inhibitor mod is a fool-proof against squeezing a little too hard and digging a hole where you didn't want. afterward, just stick the inhibitor back on a platform (i keep mine on the back of the habitat in secondary bases). 

inventory space in this game IS a precious commodity, like any other survival game, finding ways to balance and/or juggle it around "as is" (that is, take it as if the mechanic isn't changing) is key. certainly an annoyance to have to take off a canister to replace with any given mod, but i just imagine i AM this astroneer, and the deformer he crashed with is simple stuff with only the most basic functionality (as evidenced by the fact it can't do much at all until you have a canister), and that's why he's got to research the good stuff and then take a minute fitting or unfitting it. 

19 hours ago, KEVIN H said:

I am finding the current inhibitor mod cumbersome.  First, the limited storage in the pack.  Second the need to connect to the tool, when there is another workable option.

I don't mind using up one slot for the mod, just wish it allowed an "inhibited mode" which could be quickly activated/deactivated rather than having to attach/remove the mod.

12 hours ago, 101101110111 said:

why not just have the amount of trigger power be the amount of terrain tool power?

This would definitely be neat, but having it calibrated well would be key. Otherwise it becomes tedious to get the trigger pull "just right", and the frustration of digging a hole when not intended would sort of defeat the purpose of the mod.

juggling items such as mods, batteries, O2 cylinders and resources in the backpack is either:

a) a fundamental mechanic of the game that adds to the pleasure and playability, or:

b) a pain in the ass.

i know which one of these it is but i'm not telling.

I love my inhibitor, but I wouldn't mind being able to turning it off and on with the press of a button instead of having to manually remove it from the terrain tool

Or just being able to toggle it by reslotting it on the tool to turn it off would be useful. After all, some mods turn off for some reason, and can only turn them on by reslotting them on.

On 3/7/2018 at 1:32 PM, Aevirok said:

I don't mind using up one slot for the mod, just wish it allowed an "inhibited mode" which could be quickly activated/deactivated rather than having to attach/remove the mod.

This would definitely be neat, but having it calibrated well would be key. Otherwise it becomes tedious to get the trigger pull "just right", and the frustration of digging a hole when not intended would sort of defeat the purpose of the mod.

If they just make the left trigger do everything the inhibitor mod do when activated, it should work well

+1 to:

"I love my inhibitor, but I wouldn't mind being able to turning it off and on with the press of a button instead of having to manually remove it from the terrain tool."