Recommended Posts

We all wait for dedicated servers to go live, so we can play with more people, or play on the same world without the server owner to stay online.

However, there are few things that server owners usually expect from the game - addons support. Mods, plugins, no matter how you call it.

And, well, for addons support the game need to have the API addons devs could use to make their addons.

 

Those were things you all know or expect, now to the point:

I have a suggestion on how coordinate system may work to make the addons developers' life easier. It doesn't have to replace the existing system (i don't know how it looks or works), it can be an alternative.

Since the game is about surviving on planets, which are (more or less) spherical, it would be cool to have longitude , latitude and height replacing X,Y and Z.

Like, make the X and Y zeroes at north pole, and make Z start from the centre of the planet.

relative.png

 

 

This would make moving objects around the planet a lot easier

Edited by Azim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep! Knowing where you are or where would be a big help.  In Subnautica, there is a constant readout of x-y-z coords - but it is not part of the game! Can't understand why simply having a system to 'know where this is' so you can come back is such a difficult concept to get out there. ANYTHING - just something unique that you can write down and use later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harrzack said:

Yep! Knowing where you are or where would be a big help.  In Subnautica, there is a constant readout of x-y-z coords - but it is not part of the game! Can't understand why simply having a system to 'know where this is' so you can come back is such a difficult concept to get out there. ANYTHING - just something unique that you can write down and use later.

that is not what the topic is about

 

My idea is to let plugin devs have convenient tools when the plugin support get introduced

however, the mods would make use of it

Edited by Azim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Azim said:

that is not what the topic is about

 

My idea is to let plugin devs have convenient tools when the plugin support get introduced

however, the mods would make use of it

Sorry - missed that.   :-(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Azim said:

that is not what the topic is about

 

My idea is to let plugin devs have convenient tools when the plugin support get introduced

however, the mods would make use of it

On second thought - what else would a coordinate system be used for - if not for recording locations? The dev's prob already have their own (like Subnautica) internal system - would be nice to make it available to game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harrzack said:

On second thought - what else would a coordinate system be used for - if not for recording locations? The dev's prob already have their own (like Subnautica) internal system - would be nice to make it available to game.

i mean that in most games the player's coordinates are being processed like here:

image.png.7f251e1e101e39eeb5fd4e80b311dac6.png ( X Y )

when my idea is to make it look like this:

relative.png.62b0d1ee88930afb3d420b474379363d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share