Deathrunner

a sort of non-combat combat system

I understand that fighting and combat is not a way the developers want to go with this game, and I don't want combat in this game either, however the game seems very boring and barren. I think it would be cool if there was maybe a way to implement a sort of non-combat combat system to make the game feel more alive, but without ruining the safety of being able to explore and not get attacked by a space lizard or the feeling of ownership over the planets.

and so i sat down and tried to think of a cool way to have combat without having combat.

if you don't like these Ideas, can you please reply with ways to fix the ideas in the sub comments!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

my first idea was to have fighting with actions, not with weapons, like some kind of deadly acid-like goop that is found oozing, deep under ground in pools that will occasionally bubble, causing it to overflow onto the land, which will hurt you if you touch it, but you need to be near it to collect it, to make complicated items, like a lithium battery, (maybe requiring 1 lithium and 1 canister of acid, which will be returned to you as an empty canister after it has finished crafting) and the sort of non-combat combat will be that you have to stand near it to get the acid, but you have to run back if you see a bubble forming.

my second idea was to have challenge by you being the hunter. I had an Idea that you would have to hunt down and scan different things with a scanner that you would recive upon starting, for a hard but quicker way to get bytes, like a plant that gets more aggressive the closer you get to it, or a small worm that is hard to spot and goes underground if you stand next to it for too long. the idea was that you can re-scan the same species as many times as you like, but it would yield more bytes the first time, and you can't re-scan the same animal (but the tag would get reset after a while so to avoid frustration by hunting down a tiny worm, only to find that that was the same worm you found and scanned 10 minutes ago) but plant's tags wouldn't reset, because the plants are stationary. the scanner could also be a smooth and methodical way for the player to get introduced to the game, as if they were unsure of something, they could just scan it, and then an entry to a codex or something would be created and it would tell you all about what it was and what it did.

my third idea wasn't really that good at making the game feel more alive, but it was about combating the terrain. I think it would be a bit more realistic if the terrain smoothed out over time in a sandstorm, and it would make places a bit more interesting to explore, as the terrain would be slightly different, but also if there were lots of rocks (or whatever that hardened ground is called) in hilly or mountainous areas, making the player have to craft a better drill before exploring, or having to work their way around the terrain, but in rocky areas, there would be different resources, required for late game items, like lithium. you could also have really tough terrain that a truck or a rover couldn't handle, and you would need a hovering vehicle of some sorts, or a low flying vehicle.

my fourth idea was combat by bartering. if you could barter with people when using the trade platform, you could get better stuff, but if you push them too hard, they will back down. maybe you can ask for the items that you want when sending the platform, if you ask for too much, you will return with the same items, but your energy used to send the platform got wasted. or you could have a system where there are space stations you can go to in your space craft, where you can meet other players or NPCs that offer one thing for another, if you push them too hard, they will stop trading with you.

my fith and final idea was to have a skill tree. I know this has probably been mentioned a lot, but I think it would work well using points found from finishing research on an item, or scanning an item using the afore-mentioned scanner device, and it would make the game feel a bit more moulded around you and how you play, but there would be some skill around the way you unlock things, like unlocking one skill will make other skills cost 2x more, so you would want to get the mot expensive ones first, or something like that.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I hope that this gets at least noticed! thanks for reading my ideas.

Edited by Deathrunner

I really like these ideas and would love to see them in the game but my favorite thing was the idea about more dangerous weather and shifting terrain

for example your base is by a mountain the sand storm roles up makes a couple of pile around and it’s all good after a while there’s such a build up it causes a avalanche burying your base now you gotta dig it out or maybe sink holes or even flora spreading to the outside of a cave and you must kill it before it kills you 

all in all +1

also congrats it got noticed?

Edited by Rebelord

Definitely some cool ideas here that would add some more depth.

As and extension to what you've already put forward, it got me thinking that there could also be a "puzzle" aspect to combating some of the hostiles. A simple example might be getting them to attack each other by positioning yourself properly. That sort of thing.

You can still have the option of simply digging out the ground as a quicker solution to a given problem, but maybe have a reward for figuring out the "puzzle". Like a live specimen to research, but requiring a canister to contain maybe.

Just some thoughts. Nice post! :)

If a codex is ever implemented, it could contain a clues on how to alternatively deal with threats for greater reward once the threat has be recorded in the codex the first time.