Sign in to follow this  
Icy

Vehicles having worst physics

Hi, i bought a game on steam week ago i was happy to see that there are vehicles so i started learning the game... I wanted to dig the paths and drive that thing around made bridges up the roads cut in hills... But with this controls its just weird after i tried using vehicles it acts like a hover craft. So i wonder is that intentional or just work in progress?

Cheers, IA.

The vehicle physics and mechanics are most likely going to be improved upon in the future. They're very similar to those of the Halo series, just press w and it will drive where your camera is pointed. The Rover and Truck are both somewhat top-heavy and need some pretty wide bridges to ensure that you don't fall off. I will certainly agree that they're somewhat "floaty" like a hovercraft, but ask yourself if the controls really detract from the overall experience. <3

This whole game is currently in very early stages, they will almost certainly expand or improve on everything they currently have in the game.

I agree I think vehicle physics are terrible and annoying among other bugs they have like disappearing, floating away, or falling through the ground.  If this was a final game I would be extremely disappointed.  This an alpha version of the game, so I def think that is something that will be changed to more traditional vehicle controls and behavior.

I had a great experience where I drove at full-speed down a mountain and off a ramp I had built, the flips and velocity that rover picked up along the way was astounding. Personally I love these physics, they're a lot of fun, but they could really use some polishing (as does everything in an alpha). For example when you slide down something and are stuck in slide-mode until you jump. 

The control of vehicles is so different than other games. But it is only a matter of time to get used to it.

The physics is ok-ish in this game. It's just the terrain is so bumpy that the suspension of vehicles can't handle it well.

Well Astroneer is still in early stage. Things will change and improve.

Happy exploring

I think with the terrain being so bumpy the vehicles perform fine, I think they should add upgrades were we can raise our vehicles and add a soft suspension so when speeding on the horrible bumbs you will be fine. As for now I believe they are great, just drive slower i know driving slow sucks lol

For me is the way driving works. It just doesnt care how the wheels are turned which direction are you facing it just turns there like it doesnt have wheels but like a hover craft.

On 12/24/2016 at 1:56 AM, OwenLopez said:

I think with the terrain being so bumpy the vehicles perform fine, I think they should add upgrades were we can raise our vehicles and add a soft suspension so when speeding on the horrible bumbs you will be fine. As for now I believe they are great, just drive slower i know driving slow sucks lol

I concur! We need soft suspension with a lot of damping capability to be able to drive over the rough terrain. Look at Lunar Rover or Star Citizen 3.0 presentation. You can also replicate rover from Elite:Dangerous. 

Yeah don't try using a truck and trailer in a cave system, the rubber band effect of the vehicle link plus the dodgy camera/driving view thing means if you hit, clip, nudge or general go near any thing you ride will flip and bounce about like mad. Any way I now have to recover my truck and ore, wish me luck lol.

8 hours ago, MeS Lizard said:

Yeah don't try using a truck and trailer in a cave system, the rubber band effect of the vehicle link plus the dodgy camera/driving view thing means if you hit, clip, nudge or general go near any thing you ride will flip and bounce about like mad. Any way I now have to recover my truck and ore, wish me luck lol.

Actually, I found that in many larger cave systems they function fine. The decorations in the cave can sometimes block a trailer, so just drive carefully and you can go around them without issues most of the time. That's just my experience though, don't try to take a train into a small cave though, it won't end well.

6 hours ago, Commander John said:

Actually, I found that in many larger cave systems they function fine. The decorations in the cave can sometimes block a trailer, so just drive carefully and you can go around them without issues most of the time. That's just my experience though, don't try to take a train into a small cave though, it won't end well.

I recovered the truck and trailer fine this time I think it was a random glitch, but for some reason it only wanted to drive sideways which was interesting considering I'd had a few lol

4 hours ago, MeS Lizard said:

I recovered the truck and trailer fine this time I think it was a random glitch, but for some reason it only wanted to drive sideways which was interesting considering I'd had a few lol

That sounds like a very derpy conga line lol 

The rover although not great is just fine at the moment in terms of the control and its physics on terrain. However the truck need some improvements.
I ended up using the rover a lot more than the truck consider i can just attach more rovers at the back to reach the same capacity. You simply can't drive the truck into caves when the truck's reaction on terrain is way too bumpy and I feel it a bit difficult to control. 

48 minutes ago, Alzs said:

The rover although not great is just fine at the moment in terms of the control and its physics on terrain. However the truck need some improvements.
I ended up using the rover a lot more than the truck consider i can just attach more rovers at the back to reach the same capacity. You simply can't drive the truck into caves when the truck's reaction on terrain is way too bumpy and I feel it a bit difficult to control. 

That's a fair point, personally I use the truck because I can slap on a large storage and just cover it in batteries without compromising space in my trailers. In fact, I use one large convoy of one truck + three trucks as trailers, two of the trucks have two large storage each, and the truck o the tail end has a large storage and a crane. I only take it into big caves though, and haven't found much issue with it. I do have a a smaller convoy of rovers that I use sometimes though if I want to go into a smaller cave system.

Edited by Commander John
Spelling