this would make beacons useless, but I do agree that a map would be nice. what if when a beacon was placed it would also show the surrounding area on your map, but it would stop after you picked it back up

4 minutes ago, Deathrunner said:

again, this would make beacons useless, as you can only place beacons at places that you have been to.

Beacons already aren’t great in the game it would be nice that instead of beacons you could place a device that scans and reveals nearby areas on a map you pull out of your backpack as long as there placed and maybe need to be powered

after all you can only see beacons from so far away and mountains can straight up block them

Edited by Rebelord

map should be basic like the map you see when you're on the shuttle, you will just see some polygons of the world and the beacons you've placed.

1 hour ago, Rebelord said:

Beacons already aren’t great in the game it would be nice that instead of beacons you could place a device that scans and reveals nearby areas on a map you pull out of your backpack as long as there placed and maybe need to be powered

after all you can only see beacons from so far away and mountains can straight up block them

instead of a map there could also be advanced beacons(better distance and could be seen through mountians etc)

I would love to at least have access to a compass while I'm in a rover (instead of having to get out every couple of minutes to check my heading).  Maybe one that hovers above the back or add it to the back of the truck?  Maybe an item that takes a slot?  It's really easy to get turned around when searching for crashes topside and the sun and stars help a little, but it'd be nice to have some other options.  Also, is there a reason the sun rises in the West in this game?  Just curious about that.

19 hours ago, Yu Kazami said:

instead of a map there could also be advanced beacons(better distance and could be seen through mountians etc)

Perhaps how it could work is that u carry a map and when u pull it out of your back pack it just show the world and beacons you place and you can make sampling drills to place down that constantly sample the earth and show nearby “hot spots” of material that slowly focus into the exact position the longer its powered

Personally, I would just love to have a map that showed placements of beacons.... in my opinion beacons are already rather useless. You need to be very close to them in order to see them or in space.

A map that shows a beacon or a device that reveals the surrounding area would make more sense... or simply make beacons easier to see.

I was on an exploration trip and I made 5 beacons and used them so I wouldn't get lost. After placing the last one I realized I was a little lost. I ended up committing suicide and going back to base to use the shuttle only to realize I placed all the beacons within a 2-5min drive of my main base. Yet I thought I was completely lost and very far from base.

I pretty much stopped using beacons unless I go to a new planet and don't want to lose where I set up a base camp as it is rather frustrating trying to find a base without a beacon from space.

A map would bring a lot more usefulness to beacons and other exploration devices if they were implemented.... I mean what kind of space explorer wouldn't bring GPS anyway?

25 minutes ago, Timbo said:

A map would bring a lot more usefulness to beacons and other exploration devices if they were implemented.... I mean what kind of space explorer wouldn't bring GPS anyway?

People have been begging for a GPS system since the game was released (December 2016).  As to why there is no GPS in the game by default... it's looking more and more that the reason will be woven into the backstory of Astroneer    The context of the game is that the astroneer is basically starting from scratch, so a GPS system should have a high barrier to entry. (see the possible backstory below for the reason why the astroneer is starting from scratch).

Whatever system is implemented that makes navigation easy, it should be something that requires several steps to build.  Simply extracting bytes from research pods, and then unlocking a complete navigation solution would be a cheesy move by the devs.

For example, in order to unlock the blueprints for a new GPS satellite, the astroneer will have to find a crashed GPS satellite on the surface (or down in caves).  And it would have to be an actual GPS satellite, not one of the other type of crashed satellites which contain resource nuggets a seat, or solar panels.  The devs have already confirmed certain blueprints must be obtained from items found out in the world instead of through research. 

The astroneer will have to process the fuel (ammonium) for the satellite.  He will also have to spend research bytes to unlock the launching platform for the satellite, and maybe even the command & control firmware a GPS satellite would require.

I think forcing players to figure out how to use the tools provided early in the game for navigation is perfect, (beacons, terrain tool to create directional markers, the compass, the dense strip of stars overhead).  The possibility of straying too far from base and getting lost is exactly what the devs intended.  They wanted to immerse players in the situation that the astroneers are faced with. 

If the astroneer doesn't have a good sense of direction, he should keep his base in sight before traveling too far away.  As the astroneer explores farther away from base, he notices that the base marker is dropping below the horizon (because the planet is a sphere).  That's why beacons are so cheap to research. 

The devs wanted players to realize the fact that the astroneer needs to learn actual land navigation techniques if they are to survive.  For example when the astroneer first lands on the starting planet (Terran), he notices the strip of densely grouped stars running directly overhead at his base (perpendicular to the horizon).  And the strip of stars is aligned East-West on his compass. 

If the astroneer travels too far from base and forgets to set a beacon, he can follow the strip of stars in the sky back to his base.  He knows that if the strip of stars is no longer directly overhead (perpendicular to the horizon), he can go North or South until the stars are again directly overhead.

A technique you can use when setting beacons is to create a ramp with terrain tool, like 20 meters high.  Walk up the ramp and place your beacon at the top.  This will allow the beacon marker to be seen from a farther distance over the horizon.  Be aware that sometimes the clouds will block your view of the base & beacon markers,  even while standing at the top of the ramp.  So do yourself a favor and build the ramp so that it points in the direction of your base or your previous beacon.

BACKSTORY

Spoiler

When this solar system was discovered, a space station packed with gear and astroneers was sent to explore it.  Upon arrival, the space station deployed all of the satellites they brought.  And several astroneers were sent to the various planets with most of the gear from the station. 

An asteroid field was detected rapidly approaching the solar system.  So the station left orbit to a safe location until the asteroid field had cleared the solar system.  The astroneers already on the planets could not get back to the station in time, so they took shelter in caves.  As it turns out, when the station reached safety it was determined that the asteroid field was moving through the solar system in waves.

The asteroids caused all their satellites to crash (hence, we find crash sites scattered all around).  Between the asteroid waves there were periods of calm... like the eye of a hurricane.  These periods of calm were not long enough to allow the station to rescue the stranded astoneers.  However, those brave souls who were sheltering in caves emerged during the calm periods.

They managed to drag several satellites into the caves in an attempt to salvage anything that would  keep them alive.  Perhaps in a future patch, we'll find a half buried rover with a winch nearby one of those "cave satellites".

By the time it was safe for the station to return, sadly the astroneers who were left behind had all died (hence, we find dead astroneers in caves).  The astroneers remaining on the station carried on with the mission.  Since most of the equipment was lost to the asteroids, they are having to start from scratch.

33 minutes ago, Pi_ said:

Whatever system is implemented that makes navigation easy, it should be something that requires several steps to build.

I agree with you. If/when a GPS/Map system  was/will be implemented, its a high tech level so it's not a day 1 equipment. Beacons are usefull in order to spot deposits or satellites crashed over the surface. Changing color of the beacon marker is also a way to develop a colour code and explore the area without problems :for example if you want to go far away, set up beacons with a unique colour is possible in order to track down your base when you want to go back.

Edited by Ferendris

I think an evolving map that grows as you explore would be great. 

Even better than a map that dynamically shows your location, however, would be a map that shows your bases and beacons. You'd still have to navigate by landmarks and beacons, with your map as the reference. In fairness (story rational), for the map device to actually know where you are on the map, you'd need GPS, and GPS requires a constellation of satellites. Instead, let the map just track relative heading and distance to the beacons. Keep the beacons importance.

Would also be great if you could place pins/notes on the map. "Found a big supply of aluminum here. Need to go back." 

What I don’t like about the evolving map is that it looks sloppy and there’s always that 1 spot you didn’t and it just sitting laughing at your face saying i wonder what I’m hiding

(i hate evolving maps)

but i do like the idea of having to slowly gather parts for a gps system and launching satellites (maybe there a mini game to link them together?) and having a launch platform for them and one satlitle only unlocks so much on your map (and maybe were your hab is, is shown on your map because wouldn’t the area have to be scanned first in order for people to land there, just so you know how much work and exploring you have to do)

On 3/4/2018 at 2:03 PM, Pi_ said:

Whatever system is implemented that makes navigation easy, it should be something that requires several steps to build.  Simply extracting bytes from research pods, and then unlocking a complete navigation solution would be a cheesy move by the devs.

For example, in order to unlock the blueprints for a new GPS satellite, the astroneer will have to find a crashed GPS satellite on the surface (or down in caves).  And it would have to be an actual GPS satellite, not one of the other type of crashed satellites which contain resource nuggets a seat, or solar panels.  The devs have already confirmed certain blueprints must be obtained from items found out in the world instead of through research. 

I love the GPS System and gathering parts for it. I don't like how little there is to research and after 30+ hours in the game mostly exploring and digging I have only come across 4 or 5 thrusters which can't be researched. I understand the game is in Early Alpha and for that I applaud the devs although something like wind turbines not rotating in wind storms... and not rotating in most locations makes powering bases hard, as well as building underground. Extenders help but frustrating when you have 2 large tables full of Solar and Wind and still aren't getting any power. Although if you build to a height of 30 extenders and build a platform for your tabled it seems Solar is the way to go as it only doesn't collect power for a few minuters. The 3 Medium Batteries seem to get me through that bump... although that is only on the starter planet.

Back to the topic at hand, the GPS... It would be awesome to have something like that that you could work toward where it would map out the planet it was orbiting. Maybe even have it a landing point where you could pilot your shuttles ship to it and build and what not. That would be awesome to be able to build at orbital platforms as I would end up making planets. :D:D

I just think that beacons are useless for the most part and although I have yet to get lost for an extended amount of time other that that first horrid time... I did get myself trapped on a planet as well it that took a while to be able to build what I needed to get more fuel and get off the planet.

The biggest thing I am worried about this point is... more to the rabbit hole. The content and emersion is there but you quickly run out of things to do.

My biggest suggestion to this game is they need to add alien life forms... I would love something to Catch, Tame, Hunt, Fight, Defend, run scared from etc..... But that is another topic. Thanks for the great input!

I think beacons that can be alpha numerically numbered or tagged would be better than GPS or a full blown map. Like Pi_ said you are exploring and starting from scratch.

On 3/4/2018 at 11:03 PM, Pi_ said:

People have been begging for a GPS system since the game was released (December 2016).  As to why there is no GPS in the game by default... it's looking more and more that the reason will be woven into the backstory of Astroneer    The context of the game is that the astroneer is basically starting from scratch, so a GPS system should have a high barrier to entry. (see the possible backstory below for the reason why the astroneer is starting from scratch).

The astroneer will have to process the fuel (ammonium) for the satellite.  He will also have to spend research bytes to unlock the launching platform for the satellite, and maybe even the command & control firmware a GPS satellite would require.

I think forcing players to figure out how to use the tools provided early in the game for navigation is perfect, (beacons, terrain tool to create directional markers, the compass, the dense strip of stars overhead).  The possibility of straying too far from base and getting lost is exactly what the devs intended.  They wanted to immerse players in the situation that the astroneers are faced with. 

If the astroneer doesn't have a good sense of direction, he should keep his base in sight before traveling too far away.  As the astroneer explores farther away from base, he notices that the base marker is dropping below the horizon (because the planet is a sphere).  That's why beacons are so cheap to research. 

The devs wanted players to realize the fact that the astroneer needs to learn actual land navigation techniques if they are to survive.  For example when the astroneer first lands on the starting planet (Terran), he notices the strip of densely grouped stars running directly overhead at his base (perpendicular to the horizon).  And the strip of stars is aligned East-West on his compass. 

If the astroneer travels too far from base and forgets to set a beacon, he can follow the strip of stars in the sky back to his base.  He knows that if the strip of stars is no longer directly overhead (perpendicular to the horizon), he can go North or South until the stars are again directly overhead.

A technique you can use when setting beacons is to create a ramp with terrain tool, like 20 meters high.  Walk up the ramp and place your beacon at the top.  This will allow the beacon marker to be seen from a farther distance over the horizon.  Be aware that sometimes the clouds will block your view of the base & beacon markers,  even while standing at the top of the ramp.  So do yourself a favor and build the ramp so that it points in the direction of your base or your previous beacon.

BACKSTORY

Reveal hidden contents

When this solar system was discovered, a space station packed with gear and astroneers was sent to explore it.  Upon arrival, the space station deployed all of the satellites they brought.  And several astroneers were sent to the various planets with most of the gear from the station. 

An asteroid field was detected rapidly approaching the solar system.  So the station left orbit to a safe location until the asteroid field had cleared the solar system.  The astroneers already on the planets could not get back to the station in time, so they took shelter in caves.  As it turns out, when the station reached safety it was determined that the asteroid field was moving through the solar system in waves.

The asteroids caused all their satellites to crash (hence, we find crash sites scattered all around).  Between the asteroid waves there were periods of calm... like the eye of a hurricane.  These periods of calm were not long enough to allow the station to rescue the stranded astoneers.  However, those brave souls who were sheltering in caves emerged during the calm periods.

They managed to drag several satellites into the caves in an attempt to salvage anything that would  keep them alive.  Perhaps in a future patch, we'll find a half buried rover with a winch nearby one of those "cave satellites".

By the time it was safe for the station to return, sadly the astroneers who were left behind had all died (hence, we find dead astroneers in caves).  The astroneers remaining on the station carried on with the mission.  Since most of the equipment was lost to the asteroids, they are having to start from scratch.

I agree with you that it should be hard, but maybe, before satellites, a radio tower could be built, it will allow a device to point always at the direction of such tower (would make it easy to find your base without a map or the need of a satellite, so without showing the whole map to the player) it would require just some research and will prevent you from getting lost. Shouldn't be so expensive because with around 10k bytes of research you can already use a great way to find your home again (build a small constructor, then a medium constructor, then a small fuel condenser, then a vehicle builder and make a rocket, it will bring you to orbit, you will see the planet. Then you can just land back on your base finally knowing the right direction to your base and bring your rover back... it's not too expensive and also makes a base for you which is always nice (I experienced and tested this by myself and was the only way that i found, after a few hours spent going around, to finally find my base again... I also found out that i was on the opposite side of the planet xD)

So a radio tower would be a great idea, also a satellite is a very good idea but it should be much harder and it should show you the entire map of the planet on which it's deployed.

As a long time player on both PC and Xbox One, here are some suggestions.

1.)  Make the compass visible in a HUD style.  Something that appears say at the top center of the screen.  Doesn't need to be complicated, just something that indicates N, S, E, and W.  It would be nice to have this available in vehicles as well for navigation.

2.)  Beacons and Base Markers that are visible in the sky.  Make them visible through clouds.  It's rough to place a line of beacons while navigating, only to have them obscured by clouds.

3.)  If you wanted to add to the Compass HUD idea, how about being able to toggle the  beacon, or the base, off or on to appear on the Compass as a colored dot?

4.)  I see a lot of comments about a map.  And this can get complicated and take a lot of development.  At the simplest, a Latitude and Longitude reading would be nice.  Something we could at least write down and keep notes on.  Thinking about this while playing, perhaps make a more complex map available while inside the Habitat.  Give the player a global view, similar to the one seen in orbit, that allows them to see other landing zones, beacons, and players, much like a command center or a way to coordinate with multiplayer mode.

5.)  This last comment, well, it's more of a rant than anything.  I hadn't played Astroneer in quite a few updates.  Back when there were only a few platforms available.  And yes, the system was broken, when you could convert power into Hydrazine and trade away for anything you needed.  Or recently when the Soil Centrifuge allowed you to duplicate any resource you had, and everything was on one planet.  I understand you wanted to encourage exploration, and now that I've deeply invested in this latest update, it's awesome, if not nerve wracking.  My one major complaint about the game, is the lack of information about the game.  For instance, the Chemistry Lab.  When you are combining ingredients, you should be able to hover over the element you need, and a popup window should appear, telling you about the element, where to find it, what planets it can be found on, or what machine produces/refines it.  Much like the Wiki, make this available in game.  It was very frustrating to have to stop playing the game to go and look on the wiki for what planets Hematite can be found on, or that Iron is smelted from Hematite.

Other than that, it's been an awesome journey, and overall, you have done an amazing job with this game.  The latest updates have really added content, the multiplayer is so much fun, and I'm glad I bought this game.  It's one of a few games I can always pick up and play, and get lost in for a few hours.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you do in the future.  Thank you again.