WileECoyote

As a Veteran Astroneererer....some feedback as of 0.6

What's up System Era!  I've been with the Astroneer project since it was first released in Dec 2016.  Over the course of the first 6 months I probably put in about 100 hours into the game and LOVED very much how relaxing and fun it was to build and explore.  I now have 130 hours, but after the first research update, I basically stopped playing....  I hated the changes.  The research mechanic became grindy and the game was no longer enjoyable to play.  Since then I've loaded up every major patch in the hopes that the fun would be restored, but I was disappointed..........until 0.6.  Well done, team.  Seriously, the Astroneer I fell in love with is making a comeback.  I loaded up last night and played for a couple of hours and enjoyed it all again.  It felt like I was playing again for the first time. That being said, there were a few things that I wanted to comment on in hopes that it might improve the experience in the future.  I love the game, and I love the design team and I honestly hope that you will take this feedback into consideration.

So here are my thoughts on Astroneer as of 0.6 (good and bad):

#1  I really like the direction the research has taken by using research items to accumulate points to spend how you wish. I also like the fact that by adding power-generation speeds up processes (which I wasn't aware of until I went through the help file).  Kudos to you guys for taking a research mechanic that wasn't working after the "Research Update" and making it into something that is fun and exciting to use again rather than just wandering around the planet hoping to find a new pod that would unlock that last item you desperately need.  Even the original random research mechanic was less rewarding than the new system.

#2  The base-building aspect of the game opened up a whole world of possibilities.  I'm excited to play around with this more and see what else you guys can add to it.  Well done to the art/animation/sound team for great work and very "believable" new content.

#3  As a die-hard PC player, I understand the need to make the game more controller/console friendly, but you guys are making the game frustrating/clumsy and unintuitive for us PC people.  Changing every control to a push-and-hold mechanic sucks.  Like, really sucks...   I know you can press CTRL or ALT to get around that, but using those modifier keys is awkward and unintuitive.  It also makes using the rovers and complete pain in the ass to use especially since they flip over so frequently and you have to get in them and then get out of them and back in them to get them right-side-up again.  This may all get better when we can customize commands and save preferences down the road, but hopefully you haven't driven off players by the time you make those changes.

#4   PLEASE for the love of god change how extenders are picked up and moved/stowed.  I was trying to just put one in my backpack and before I knew it, I had 5 of them all piled on top of each other and connected to each other.  If you accidentally click on the cable instead of the main body, there is no way to cancel the command and you're basically stuck trying to connect it to something.  All ESC does is bring up the menu.

#5 The vehicle controls........I've been saying this from the beginning........and I won't ever stop saying it......   FIX.   Vehicles need DISCRETE controls for Forward/Reverse and Left/Right.  Vehicle controls should also be relative to the driver's seat position NOT the camera orientation.  Driving rovers in Astroneer is probably one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in gaming in a while.  Trying to maneuver a rover in tight quarters or in a very specific way is rage-inducing.  "W" means forward....  not forward and left.....or maybe reverse and right depending on the camera angle.  This would be the equivalent of having your car go forward when you're looking behind you to reverse into a parking stall.

#6  I've said this on reddit many times but I'll keep on saying it, changing from placing tethers at your cursor to placing tethers at your feet is not ideal.  Sure it works great if you're running alone and trying to get somewhere, but when you're exploring a cave slowly and want to put a tether in a specific place, you have to drop it at your feet and then pick it up again to put it where you really want (ie cave wall, or cave ceiling).

#7 Draw distance.....................  we need more.  Going out to find resources or crash sites is basically just choosing a direction and hoping something spawns in front of you.  Because the draw distance is so short, you basically can't see anything on the horizon that you might want to set out an expedition for.  You basically have to just keep driving in a zig-zag pattern hoping to come across what you need and hope that you don't get lost (or drop 50 beacons).   This may or may not be a performance issue still, I really don't know, but I would be willing to take a hit on performance to see farther.

i totally agree on point 4, also if you point your mouse far enough you can cancel the extender placement, what i found that works well for now is to really not even have them in your inventory, unless you really need them, and then you must put them back again or every time you missclick you'll have a hard time preventing them to be all over the place.

And also point 5! man i hate it to go always on reverse by looking backwards and pressing forward, i fell into caves so many times like that!

and for point 7, a render distance option would help, a lot.

Edited by attichicco

The Draw distance is my biggest complaint too. If you are moving quickly in a rover the terrain pops in right in front of you. I cannot tell you how many holes I have fallen into because they didn't load in until it was too late for me to react.  If it is just a performance issue, add a slider in the options so people can adjust it to a distance that works for their PC hardware.

I agree with number two (base building is cool) but I think that they should have actual buildings as well, and those will have oxygen inside them all the time. you wouldn't need them, you could just place your stuff outside, but i think it would be a bit cooler to have actual base pieces, a bit like the pieces in Subnatica

I’m responding to when you said the research was Grindy it is but in the most recent update they blasted up the speed in which u accumulate bytes so Research isn’t nearly as grindy as it was before

1 hour ago, Rebelord said:

I’m responding to when you said the research was Grindy it is but in the most recent update they blasted up the speed in which u accumulate bytes so Research isn’t nearly as grindy as it was before

I'm not even talking about the "bytes" research update.  I was talking about the first major research overhaul where you basically got nothing from researching the same "pod" more than once so you had to go looking throughout the entire universe to find unique pods.  Sounds ok in theory.....but when you haven't even been able to research a rover after hours of playing....trying to venture across the planet (or even to new planets) to find new pods was next to impossible.

thanks for this awesome thread with lots of feedback. forwarding to the team but will respond to some of this in a bit!

On 2/28/2018 at 5:06 AM, WileECoyote said:

... #6  I've said this on reddit many times but I'll keep on saying it, changing from placing tethers at your cursor to placing tethers at your feet is not ideal.  Sure it works great if you're running alone and trying to get somewhere, but when you're exploring a cave slowly and want to put a tether in a specific place, you have to drop it at your feet and then pick it up again to put it where you really want (ie cave wall, or cave ceiling).

Could not DISAGREE with this more.

This would make exploring above ground or digging tunnels ridiculously slow & unwieldy. As you move, you can hear the tether disconnect and you can quickly drop a tether at your feet without having to stop. With your example, you are moving slowly anyways, so having to pick up the tether and re-position is not a big deal.

3 hours ago, SES_joe said:

thanks for this awesome thread with lots of feedback. forwarding to the team but will respond to some of this in a bit!

Thanks for checking out my post!  Looking forward to hearing some feedback from you guys!

1 hour ago, starionx said:

Could not DISAGREE with this more.

This would make exploring above ground or digging tunnels ridiculously slow & unwieldy. As you move, you can hear the tether disconnect and you can quickly drop a tether at your feet without having to stop. With your example, you are moving slowly anyways, so having to pick up the tether and re-position is not a big deal.

I'm not sure how long you've been playing Astroneer, but as someone who's played with the tethers both ways, placing them at your cursor is just as smooth while running flat out trying to get somewhere.

I will, however, say that being able to place a tether just at the very edge of being disconnected from your last tether like it is now is very nice.  I think being able to place tethers at your cursor as well as having this little added feature would the best for PC players.  For console/controller people I see why the new way would be better.   Give us the option of choosing how we want to drop them.  Problem Solved.