Astroneer_Talemir

Space Stations!

Much like how you go to a new planet and place a new Habitat you build, there could be a module you can place that has it's own orbital mechanic once you're in orbit around a planet yourself. There could even be new devices to attach (automated thrusters maybe?) that help maintain against orbital decay. Also, while you're out exploring the solar system it would have a beacon marking the planet the station is at so you don't get too lost; much like when you're orbiting a planet and you can see your home beacon.

I like the idea. Though traveling for resources would be a much longer endeavor with this. But I guess if you got enough resources to make a space station then you probably wouldn't need to get more.

7 minutes ago, Astroneer_Talemir said:

Much like how you go to a new planet and place a new Habitat you build, there could be a module you can place that has it's own orbital mechanic once you're in orbit around a planet yourself. There could even be new devices to attach (automated thrusters maybe?) that help maintain against orbital decay. Also, while you're out exploring the solar system it would have a beacon marking the planet the station is at so you don't get too lost; much like when you're orbiting a planet and you can see your home beacon.

you thinking of something like this?

imgres.jpg

4 minutes ago, DevraDare said:

I like the idea. Though traveling for resources would be a much longer endeavor with this. But I guess if you got enough resources to make a space station then you probably wouldn't need to get more.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, this would obviously be some later tier type stuff.

11 minutes ago, DevraDare said:

Hmm, actually -- maybe instead of just 1 module you have to build several and make trips to bring them each up and set up. They could consist of all the various materials you'd have to find throughout the game. That would make it much more rewarding as having a space station seems like end tier anyway. Unless you expand that tier into the next big thing -- Starships capable of interstellar travel! :D

9b779fdd1307297ee1db25cf2163382f.jpg

Edited by Astroneer_Talemir

I like the space station idea.  You could make it so that it slowly burns hydrazine - making a need for you to go down to a planet every now and again to keep it filled up.  I wouldnt really like losing the station if it ran out of fuel, so maybe if it did the orbit would drop to some low point and although it would not die, when it is in the lower orbit you would not be able to enter the station, only re-fuel it (allowing it to boost back to the higher orbit) - then you could enter it and keep using it as normal.  

44 minutes ago, Nano said:

I like the space station idea.  You could make it so that it slowly burns hydrazine - making a need for you to go down to a planet every now and again to keep it filled up.  I wouldnt really like losing the station if it ran out of fuel, so maybe if it did the orbit would drop to some low point and although it would not die, when it is in the lower orbit you would not be able to enter the station, only re-fuel it (allowing it to boost back to the higher orbit) - then you could enter it and keep using it as normal.  

Hmm, yeah that's a tough call. Or maybe if you had it built up enough, it could use solar panels to power a fuel condenser so that it would never truly decay in orbit. Until you built it up to that point, maybe it could be possible to have it crash and burn. Then you could go find the wreckage on the planet below and salvage materials lol!

17 minutes ago, Astroneer_Talemir said:

Hmm, yeah that's a tough call. Or maybe if you had it built up enough, it could use solar panels to power a fuel condenser so that it would never truly decay in orbit. Until you built it up to that point, maybe it could be possible to have it crash and burn. Then you could go find the wreckage on the planet below and salvage materials lol!

Thats a better way of doing it.  But i would like some reason (besides stocking up on building materials) to have to keep going back to a planet so that you are somehow 'maintaining' the station.

It would be kind of funny building a massive station and watching it crash and burn - maybe it could make a big crater when it hit the surface?  Then if there was tunnels under the bit of ground it hit then you would have to search those tunnels for the supplies - which would be cool and make it a bit more complicated than just drive up to the wreakage and collect everything.   

2 hours ago, Nano said:

Thats a better way of doing it.  But i would like some reason (besides stocking up on building materials) to have to keep going back to a planet so that you are somehow 'maintaining' the station.

It would be kind of funny building a massive station and watching it crash and burn - maybe it could make a big crater when it hit the surface?  Then if there was tunnels under the bit of ground it hit then you would have to search those tunnels for the supplies - which would be cool and make it a bit more complicated than just drive up to the wreakage and collect everything.   

That is an excellent point, I mean yea you have a space station but unless it does more than just sit there there's little point to keep it going. Maybe it could lead to more research and more unlocks. Maybe you can only build certain ships or modules once you have it established. Maybe if it crashes to the planet it could even be part of a secret (well, obviously not so secret) mission or side quest that ends up uncovering and discovering some underground ruins with alien tech, or maybe even a star chart leading to a destination with promises of wealth and technology way more advanced than ours (Sorry, huge Stargate fan lol).

Edited by Astroneer_Talemir

2 hours ago, Embrace平 said:

I really really like this idea.

Thank you! I do too. I really hope it comes to fruition! It would be a nice escape from the inclement and incessant weather down in the biomes (bioms?). I love sandbox games, but VERY few have been doing the whole space thing. While I still appreciate the immersion in Astroneer, I hope they stick to true science as much as possible. I say this because when I operate a shuttle or a spaceship while in orbit I hear the engines... I loved Star Wars as a kid, and still love it today; once you learn the truth about science as a whole, it's that much harder to enjoy your favorite movies.

16 hours ago, Skully said:

you thinking of something like this?

imgres.jpg

that would be cool and if we had different types of advanced batteries or fuel it could be aquired from stations like this.

also some places would cost money.