Titico7777

New bases after the starting base does not deploy?

The starting base deploys when you arrived and click on it, but after researching habitat I made one and it behaves like the old ones we used to have, no flat surface or anything?

This behaviour is intended for the current version. It might get changed, but think of the new style as your 'home'! 

24 minutes ago, Blind Io said:

This behaviour is intended for the current version. It might get changed, but think of the new style as your 'home'! 

I hope it changes, because 'home' to me, is never where I land. I like to move to one of the Poles where the sun is up almost all of the time, and it never gets too bright.

Actually, it would be great if we could maneuver the pod around the planet when we first land.

Edited by starionx

22 hours ago, Titico7777 said:

The starting base deploys when you arrived and click on it, but after researching habitat I made one and it behaves like the old ones we used to have, no flat surface or anything?

I stated this somewhere in the forum I just can’t rmemeber where. I also wish that with every new habitat that is created it would act just as the initial base does. It should deploy, and have a giant flat surface, along with the landing pad. The way the new habitats work is just like the old one minus the flat area at all. Also you can now dig under and over the printed habitats. I hate it. I hope it gets changed in the next patch. 

If they change it to a new base type, they'll need to remove the power generation from the game, otherwise people will just exploit it and make multiple habs to get unlimited power. 

Which for 2 resources to get a powersource, oxy source and a safe seat from storms.  Is abit too much.  The issues with the large bench not with standing.

The large bench needs to drop everything and not work unless anchored down, otherwise it'll just be exploited as well.  Currently a large bench can carry 4 research pods or upto 32 resources out of a mining area.. whilst also supplying you with oxygen.   Makes you wonder why people even bother having vehicles.

Edited by Martin

1 hour ago, Martin said:

If they change it to a new base type, they'll need to remove the power generation from the game, otherwise people will just exploit it and make multiple habs to get unlimited power. 

Which for 2 resources to get a powersource, oxy source and a safe seat from storms.  Is abit too much.  The issues with the large bench not with standing.

The large bench needs to drop everything and not work unless anchored down, otherwise it'll just be exploited as well.  Currently a large bench can carry 4 research pods or upto 32 resources out of a mining area.. whilst also supplying you with oxygen.   Makes you wonder why people even bother having vehicles.

I honestly think the the habitats should just not supply power from any point in the game at all. Unless there is a battery or solar panel connected to it and it acts as an extension point then that fine but none other than that. That would fix all the problems for people to exploit the power situation with the habitat. 

Maybe they could add a small solar or maybe a nuclear generator to first unit, but you'd need to upgrade further units etc. It certainly helps when first starting out having a little bit of power to get those first few bytes in.

But yeh I agree, we could just work with organic gens as a power source and slot them onto the unit.

Edited by Martin

I think it was added to grease the wheels of early research - it saves time not having to dig little holes around your base gathering initial organic. 

It also means that you can use the first fabricator straight away without needing a genny, and you can't accidentally run out of power by printing from the backpack early on. 

For the initial startup habitat, having that little bit of power is good.  It also works with the dropship as far as being able to call down a "startup kit".  This is friendly for new players and if you make a mistake its very forgiving.   Having the researchable habitat (lets call it a "storm shelter" because once you have a rover that all you really use it for) which gives O2 but not power is a good balance. IMO.

5 hours ago, KeeblerOrc said:

I'd sure like the basic Habitat to make the huge flat Black surface

+1

On 2/27/2018 at 2:37 PM, Martin said:

Currently a large bench can carry 4 research pods or upto 32 resources out of a mining area

Plus, you're forgetting you can put it under a vehicle bay and slap a large storage on it... You can then end up with 6 medium storages carrying 48 resources... lol

1 hour ago, Petrataur said:

Plus, you're forgetting you can put it under a vehicle bay and slap a large storage on it... You can then end up with 6 medium storages carrying 48 resources... lol

Never even occurred to me to try that lol.  Ah well, more for them to fix.

I actually like that the habitat still behaves like the old one. The new base with its free supply of power is good for an easier start, especially for new players. However, I'd prefer to not have a large flat area around the starting base or the habitat. I like to have the option of building a base on uneven ground. Maybe both the small habitat and the new base should be available for building, so that you can choose which one you actually want to use.

I also like the option of having a large storage on a large platform. I even think that the fabricator should be able to create a packaged large storage which could then be deployed onto any tier-3 socket.

That would fix all the problems for people to exploit the power situation with the habitat.

Thanks for your suggestions. Without your fixes, I would be unable to avoid all the problems with exploiting Astroneer when playing my game.

Yeh must admit, that flat surface is nice for building an organised base, but the inability to dig through it, hampers building a base with layers to it.  Esp if you want to dig down.  So I'd prefer the black rock not to appear, except maybe under perm modules. A sort of foundation. Then I could build, dig etc as I chose to.

yeah, the starting habitat supplying its own power somewhat undermines the minor-tutorial directing you to build a small generator and harvest organic to fuel it. there's no need to do any of that, except to get it to quit nagging you to build a generator. while it's nice that you have a trickle of power from the start, it also makes it a little too easy to ignore the early-game mechanics and go straight to the mid- or late-game exploration