Bron

New Basebuilding - what's the point of Home Modules now?

so, i'm getting into the new basebuilding system.... all these new things to do, and no real rulebook, on one hand so many possibilities, on the other no real tactical methods of use yet. these new, infinitely repositionable, pre-packed platform base units are very different...

i did an experiment. took a large platform unit out into nowhere and set it up. guess what? i get life support from it. so i'm thinking, one of these, some supplemental power systems like wind or solar units, add a seat so you can save your game occasionally... you have a makeshift home capsule base. so now i ask - who needs home capsules or bases? previously they were where all life support sprung from, apart from vehicles - now any base unit can be a home base unit. stations are decentralised. you can have one cluster that's just a solar farm, another thats optimized for wind collection.... link it all together with running extenders interspersed with the occasional work light or small solar or wind unit.... you could have freestanding research or smelting plants on site instead of dragging the stuff across the planet (having these components built so they could fit onto a large storage for re-deployment would help that though). and one-seats on all outlying clusters for saving the game with.

so why even bother with the home module?

SIDE NOTE: i love that the lights and small power stuff are freestanding now, and can be linked to power cables. love it. HOWEVER, something should be done to make ROTATING THEM LESS BASED ON GUESSWORK. platforms get the hologram for rotation. small windvanes get - ???? which way is this little beggar facing?

seriously. really good idea, let down by this awkward flaw. fix for 6.1 please.

I just assumed that getting oxy from the big benches was a bug and left it at that.  Likely all this stuff will be fixed further down the line of process, it was only just released as content.. it's not like it's been like this for a year or so.

I really appreciated the older base connectors, the big tubes, it made moving around the base a challenge but it at least explained how oxy got from the habitat to the platforms.  It would be cool to see oxy treated similarly to power.  either platforms would get oxy through the ribbons along side power or they would get oxy through a secondary pipe like the tethers.  If a platform is not connected to the habitat by whatever pipe system it would not provide oxy and the blue bar around it would be dark.perhaps a tether would need to be installed on a platform somewhere to create the link back to the habitat. 
Sorry, excuse my midnight ramblings, ill probably be able to think this idea through better in the morning.

Apparently, it works just how I said. :P

24 minutes ago, Warcries said:

I'd personally make it only supply oxygen if it's connected to a tether, great post none-the-less.

20 hours ago, Qbert987 said:

I really appreciated the older base connectors, the big tubes, it made moving around the base a challenge but it at least explained how oxy got from the habitat to the platforms.  It would be cool to see oxy treated similarly to power.  either platforms would get oxy through the ribbons along side power or they would get oxy through a secondary pipe like the tethers.  If a platform is not connected to the habitat by whatever pipe system it would not provide oxy and the blue bar around it would be dark.perhaps a tether would need to be installed on a platform somewhere to create the link back to the habitat. 
Sorry, excuse my midnight ramblings, ill probably be able to think this idea through better in the morning.

Yeh a little blue pipe running along the edge of the flat power cable would make a big immersion difference.   As would updating tethers to actually look like piping or cables and not string running across the screen.  But these are all little details.. it's either hardcore you die all the time, because or there's these little lifes luxuries in the game to make it more enjoyable to play.  More inviting to younger players etc.  Who frankly, don't like dying in games.

So for me, sure if it improves immersion, otherwise.. wth folks..is it really that important.

On 2/25/2018 at 3:18 PM, Bron said:

SIDE NOTE: i love that the lights and small power stuff are freestanding now, and can be linked to power cables. love it. HOWEVER, something should be done to make ROTATING THEM LESS BASED ON GUESSWORK. platforms get the hologram for rotation. small windvanes get - ???? which way is this little beggar facing?

seriously. really good idea, let down by this awkward flaw. fix for 6.1 please.

Work light is same  way.  Change texture or something so that we have a clue what the facing is.  i'm thinking on the work light to put a small vertical stripe or notch in the blue band around the base.

Agreed. Free oxygen sources should be limited to habitats and vehicles. Of course other structures could provide oxygen but only when they are anchored and networked with a habitat or vehicle, like how power works.

I mentioned this on another thread but printing a large storage on a large platform (yes, you can do this by putting it under a vehicle bay) can allow you to attach 6 medium storages for a total of 48 resources. I love that you can do this for base storage and I hope it doesn't change, but for this enormous storage to also be a mobile source of oxygen is just silly.

thanks for all the responses on my thread, guys.

yeah, i'm getting that the O2-providing large platforms is probably a bug. will i miss it when it goes? it may well mess up some of my distributed base systems when it does,  but that wouldn't be without precedent with this game. i'm coming down on the side of only habs and vehicles providing life support.

i guess my point is, that things like this can fundamentally change how you approach the game. base design revolves around what the modules will provide you with after all. it seems more basic than any other bug or flaw that i've seen so far, and should probably have never made it to any kind of release - if it is indeed a bug.

would be nice to get confirmation of the 'bug or feature' status from someone who might be in a position to know.

Just have to refer to the Patch Notes: 

Apparently it is currently intentional that Large Platforms provide Oxy, but that will change.

@Qbert987 Bear in mind that your character receives oxygen through a thin thread of hard light strung on tethers. So I have to question why a black cord that is larger than the thread is less plausible than a huge tube that is rather oversized for its task.

If you haven't yet, make sure to research Extenders and tinker with their use of adding an extension between cables.  I have a thought of joining two platforms over a canyon or gorge.

I think it would be great to make extenders with a slot on top of them to able to accommodate tethers. That would keep things logical (oxygen from base) and tidy.