Samaya

Extender and tether "snapping"

So right now when placing extenders and tethers, you have to place them just right in order to get the maximum range out of them, and this is a bit finicky. Wouldn't it be an idea to let extenders and tethers "snap" to the maximum range when you're going past it. So that when your mouse, holding the extender or tether, is past the max range, the extender or tether doesn't disappear, but stays in place at max range, and won't disappear until you're further out of range. 

3 hours ago, Samaya said:

So right now when placing extenders and tethers, you have to place them just right in order to get the maximum range out of them, and this is a bit finicky. Wouldn't it be an idea to let extenders and tethers "snap" to the maximum range when you're going past it. So that when your mouse, holding the extender or tether, is past the max range, the extender or tether doesn't disappear, but stays in place at max range, and won't disappear until you're further out of range. 

The idea is great . I also have a problem with placing extenders and tethers. You have to try several times to reduce the distance to connect.

Yes, extenders and tethers should STAY tethered while mouse moving, and allow to move to max range without untethering.  Tethers should un-link once placed on backpack again.  Extenders should un-link once cable side is clicked again.

Upon further investigation, it seems the team does have a snap-mode for tethering with Extenders !  BUT, You have to select the cable and then just drag and extend and then at the furthest extension point, a new shadowed Extender will appear and you can click to deploy.  So you have to select the cable and just drag and extend to automatically get another Extender at the next end point.  I am OK with this functionality, but perhaps could be improved to not just show the shadow Extender at the max extension, but just show the next Extender shadowed and dragging along with the cable.  That way its more clear what will automatically happen when you do a final click and have another Extender available.  If you don't have another extender available, then don't show the shadowed Extender while dragging and just recoil the cable if the user does a final click with an empty cable.

For tethers, I am now OK with as-is.  I just learned to walk/run and tap the E key to deploy the next tether right when the tether cable disappears.  A bit tricky, but now its rather seamless, and this should be mentioned in a later tethering video overlay showing how this works without have to stop walking.

Perhaps if, while running, holding T would autoplace tethers at max distance? Would save a lot of time, and prevent those 'oops!' moments where you slightly misplace a tether, have to stop moving, turn around and replace it in the right spot.

23 hours ago, THAD said:

Upon further investigation, it seems the team does have a snap-mode for tethering with Extenders !  BUT, You have to select the cable and then just drag and extend and then at the furthest extension point, a new shadowed Extender will appear and you can click to deploy.  So you have to select the cable and just drag and extend to automatically get another Extender at the next end point.  I am OK with this functionality, but perhaps could be improved to not just show the shadow Extender at the max extension, but just show the next Extender shadowed and dragging along with the cable.  That way its more clear what will automatically happen when you do a final click and have another Extender available.  If you don't have another extender available, then don't show the shadowed Extender while dragging and just recoil the cable if the user does a final click with an empty cable.

For tethers, I am now OK with as-is.  I just learned to walk/run and tap the E key to deploy the next tether right when the tether cable disappears.  A bit tricky, but now its rather seamless, and this should be mentioned in a later tethering video overlay showing how this works without have to stop walking.

I'm not sure what you mean. When I select am extender and drag it, when going past the max range the holo disappears and I can't place it. I think you misunderstand what I'm talking about. It's not about there being a max range, it's about making the placing less finicky by being able to place the extender, even when your mouse cursor is beyond the max range of the extender. As it is right now, you have to place the extender just right in order to get the max range out of, which is kind of a hassle. 

Also, about tethers, I played this game before the new tether placing system was introduced, and the current system is better, but could still use some improvement. See below

5 hours ago, digger1213 said:

Perhaps if, while running, holding T would autoplace tethers at max distance? Would save a lot of time, and prevent those 'oops!' moments where you slightly misplace a tether, have to stop moving, turn around and replace it in the right spot.

Yes yes, totally agree. And, if you prefer manual placement, they could even revert back to the older system where when pressing T, the tether would be place in your hand instead of on the ground, and it would "snap" and hold to its max range.

Also, going back to extender placement, what about instead of having to place each extender manually, it would auto place extenders along your path as long as you have extenders in your backpack. Small sidenote on the extenders as they are now, I think the individual extender range could be a bit longer, I don't really see the added benefit of having the range being so small.

O, one more thing. I once placed extenders so that power flowed the wrong way...and I had to change every single extender to let it flow the other way...this should definitely be changed...or I missed something...

To refine the idea:

Using your shoulder-mounted backpack slots for tethers / extenders would be good for this functionality.  A tether on a shoulder slot would auto-deploy as you run, but perhaps also auto-collect when you back run over the same tethers.   Pressing "z" or "x" would lock the line of tethers in place so they are now permanent and stay behind like the current manually placed ones.

Tethers operating from normal backpack slots would continue to work as they currently do.

Edited by stephan.dickinson

16 hours ago, stephan.dickinson said:

To refine the idea:

Using your shoulder-mounted backpack slots for tethers / extenders would be good for this functionality.  A tether on a shoulder slot would auto-deploy as you run, but perhaps also auto-collect when you back run over the same tethers.   Pressing "z" or "x" would lock the line of tethers in place so they are now permanent and stay behind like the current manually placed ones.

Tethers operating from normal backpack slots would continue to work as they currently do.

That's also an idea...kuddos

I agree with the idea of the extenders doing it becuase they have a limited and define able range but the problem with the tethers is that you just hit a button to place and then done but if you were to take the time to pick it up and adjust it then i feel like it should click into maximum range