Shadeaux

Terrain Locking to prevent accidental edits

I looked for a suggestion similar to this but didn't see one, if I missed it and this has already been suggested then I'm sorry.

I was just creating a ramp down into a cave, with nothing under it, when I thought how nice it would be to be able to lock the terrain in an area to prevent accidental editing.  Perhaps a tool function down the road that lets you switch to that mode and then "paint" an area whose vertices get locked in place and show red when that mode is active on the tool.  Also, unlocking..obviously. :)

The usefulness of this could be way more than just making ramps into caves.  For instance, if you got the ground around your base super flat and didn't want to accidently adjust stuff and cause new modules to become raised or lowered.  Another could be even building up a large wall area, painting a line down the middle of the top edge, and then lowering the area around it creating smooth flat walls, at least on the sides.

I like this idea. It could be like a "harden" setting on the mining tool. It could change voxels to concrete or another material and you would have to un-harden it or something before it could be edited again.

2 hours ago, Shadeaux said:

I looked for a suggestion similar to this but didn't see one, if I missed it and this has already been suggested then I'm sorry.

I was just creating a ramp down into a cave, with nothing under it, when I thought how nice it would be to be able to lock the terrain in an area to prevent accidental editing.  Perhaps a tool function down the road that lets you switch to that mode and then "paint" an area whose vertices get locked in place and show red when that mode is active on the tool.  Also, unlocking..obviously. :)

The usefulness of this could be way more than just making ramps into caves.  For instance, if you got the ground around your base super flat and didn't want to accidently adjust stuff and cause new modules to become raised or lowered.  Another could be even building up a large wall area, painting a line down the middle of the top edge, and then lowering the area around it creating smooth flat walls, at least on the sides.

Yea terrain locking is a really good idea Shadeaux and Bananatrooper. It could be a whole separate platform where you need to research the materials, and then maybe also make a cement truck as well!