Taylor Rhodes

Tracker/Beacon Icon Improvement; Perhaps map/compass?

I bought the xbox game preview of Astroneers almost on day one. I adore the game, and have delighted with every improvement and addition. One thing that hasn't changed, but needs to, are the icons for home/beacons/vehicles. The colour is difficult to see against the sky sometimes, and its especially bad when clouds pass because the clouds completely obscure the icons. I can't tell you how many times i've had to abandon a save because i got too far from home and spent hours trying to find home base again, but couldn't. If clarity of the icons through distance/weather/terrain can't be managed, I would highly recommend a map system of some sort. Perhaps basic geographical terrain that is filled in as you explore, with icons clearly visible on the map, or perhaps a compass system like on Skyrim.

Indeed, beacons hiding behind clouds aren't very helpful, especially against a blue sky. A partial fix for the beacons that you make and drop on the ground, click their icon to cycle through colors.

Thats really helpful, thank you. I didn't know the beacons have that. I still think a map or compass sytem would be a better longterm fix, as the more i explored, I realized how enormous the planets were. Its very easy to lose where home is, and I suppose I could try travelling all the way around, but theres no way to know if i'm in line with my base. I think I'd also like if the modules automatically flattened terrain in a uniform shape, as one big plateau, instead of it following th shape of the landscape. Terraforming is very difficult and I have a lot of trouble making flat surfaces that don't slant up or down.

A few extra tips for newcomers to this forum:

• Your base is at the equator and the thick band of stars marks the equator. Knowing that may help you find your way back.
  • Check the position of the sun in the sky (it rises west and sets east).
  • As you drive, when your base beacon is almost on the horizon, create a 45-ish degree ramp pointing to your base and place a beacon at the top. Repeat procedure when that beacon is almost out of sight.

On 2/22/2018 at 1:27 PM, Taylor Rhodes said:

Thats really helpful, thank you. I didn't know the beacons have that. I still think a map or compass sytem would be a better longterm fix, as the more i explored, I realized how enormous the planets were. Its very easy to lose where home is, and I suppose I could try travelling all the way around, but theres no way to know if i'm in line with my base. I think I'd also like if the modules automatically flattened terrain in a uniform shape, as one big plateau, instead of it following th shape of the landscape. Terraforming is very difficult and I have a lot of trouble making flat surfaces that don't slant up or down.

A compass system similar to what's used in Playerunknown's Battlegrounds would be brilliant. Especially if it could be set to show beacons, players, and/or habitats.