Matt Johnson

Adding rings around planets

I know there are plans to add more planets and I think it would be cool to have one that had a ring system like Saturn does. The main reason is just to look cool but it could also serve as a way to tell where you are on the planet, although it wouldn't be the best or most reliable way since, from the surface, the ring(s) would look the same form different locations. Having rings could also encourage more exploration around the surface of the planet. At least I know I would definitely travel to different locations around the planet just to see what the ring(s) would look like from there.

planetary rings are accumulations of rocky debris caught in the gravity well of the planet. some of them were once moons that got torn apart by tidal forces.

if a suitable vehicle could be built these rings might be a rich source of resources. think of them as being composed of chunks of the colored rock you get lithium and titanium inside. you could drill out and mine one or two with a drill and crane on a shuttle.

and yes, they would look nice. i too would travel to a planet with rings on it just to see what they looked like.

On 2/18/2018 at 6:10 PM, Bron said:

planetary rings are accumulations of rocky debris caught in the gravity well of the planet. some of them were once moons that got torn apart by tidal forces.

if a suitable vehicle could be built these rings might be a rich source of resources. think of them as being composed of chunks of the colored rock you get lithium and titanium inside. you could drill out and mine one or two with a drill and crane on a shuttle.

and yes, they would look nice. i too would travel to a planet with rings on it just to see what they looked like.

As well as being source for minerals it could also be a start for a space station if you find a big enough asteroid to make your foundation just watch out for the other ones

+1