The reason I really want to suggest this is because when me and my friend play we like exploring. Although we find it hard to set up connecting bases of operations around a planet.

We like going into caves, mining everything we can find. As well as gathering as much research as we can. The problem comes when we get full we either have to run all the way back to the base or if we have our rovers with us we try and get them out of the cave. (I don’t know about y'all but getting the rovers out can be a pain depending on how deep you are, and if you have a smooth path. and if you cave connecting rovers it can be much harder.)

My solution is having the ability to have a train system. This way it can make it easier to get from one place to the next fast and easy. (as long as you place the tracks effectively.) This system can work for exploring underground or connecting different bases on a planet together.

Pros:

-Fast and easy travel

-Can hold as much as a truck

-Can have multiple carts (maybe max of 3-4?)

-Hovers over rails so its smoother then a rover

-Has rails so you can set out the exact path to take (with a rover you could accidentally crash into a small ravine or fall in a cave. Thus, having to dig yourself out)

Cons:

-Expensive (could cost 4 titanium per cart and 2 titanium per set of rails? Making this more of a late game item. Also adding to the grind having to mine more and trading things more so you can get the materials you need)

-Only goes from one point to another, no free exploring. (still have to use rovers early game)

-More power hungry so your base will have to have sustainable energy.

Possibilities:

-Could probably have a system of rails connecting multiple points. (instead of point to point it could take multiple routs.)

-Rails could carry power to train so along as the base has power your train has power. (unlike rovers where you have to use up a slot for a solar panel, or something to keep it powered.)

-Could have different levels of trains. (like the rover/ truck and the small/big shuttle)

-Could have a specific platform like a docking station instead of using the vehicle bay (this way the rails don’t get in the way of the ships and the rovers.)

-could hold a drill so you someone can dig out a path while a friend sets up the rails.

I personally think this would be an amazing addition to the game.

Let me know what you think?

Would this help you out in gameplay?

How would you make it better?

All feedback is appreciated 

The 3D model is a rough concept I quickly came up with, trying to follow the look of the rovers a bit. (concept model can always be changed.)

image6.jpg.dfbb7e60846e1387b356d827123af9af.jpg

image5.jpg.09599366061d7f8828699b3f12f1f2e4.jpg

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Wow. Great effort! I love the hover-rail idea and that you've gone to the trouble of drawing it. 

In either the March or April update, vehicles will get an overhaul that should hopefully take away some of the current limitations/issues. 

Then it's a hop, skip, and a jump to the final release (no date on that!) and we'll be into new vehicles,  ideally including something like this. 

Personally I think the game would be missing something if we don't end up with some kind of rail system, and what you've got is a fantastic example. 

Also I believe that this month's update should make your basebuilding easier!

This I really cool. the love the artwork and idea. but the rails are going to get expensive if you going down a mine as deep as mine (see what I did there). Maybe a cheaper slow rail, and then your fast 2 titanium fast rail. But overall GREAT SUGGESTION AND ARTWORK!! :D

Edited by FireStorm649

Maybe as mono-rail.

They may be built like the heavy wires in the attached picture. And the waggon may get a special module which is nothing but a control panel with 3 buttons: forward, backward, stop. If using the control panel the waggon will drive automatically along the rail and stop at the last segment. But by far slower than driving it manually via seat.

Consumes energy but can be connected to the base or ay other power device.

ASTVLOGPIC01.JPG

Completely seconded. I love the idea because (I would make it this way) you can’t flip or otherwise disable your train cars. Also, it could be usefull for the higher tier train (heavy load train, large train, etc.) to have the front-drill slot like a tunnel boring machine. This could be an item of its own maybe 4 tungsten or more. Either way would work. I world also have it cost energy to run. I know that currently the drill heads don’t, but this seems better and stronger, so I feel like it should. As a departure from the normal tier 1- teir 2, maybe it could be high speed, low storage train and low speed high storage train. The high storage one could be the aforementioned tunnel creator. 

3C45EA08-AB40-42A5-BBC1-6E7CD798D4C6.jpeg

For me, the most redeeming quality is the ability to have your own, specialty designed, all-around, rover train. Customization has little impact in other games, but I LOVE having a crane and drill rover to mine, explore and otherwise mess around in. It is the best thing (for ME) in the game, and having more options would be great. 

haha, thats a good idea, however, i have somewhat simplified version of a autonomous solution is to make a autopilot modules for rovers, compliment by another version of smart beacon,  when the map system become online on next build, we shal make use of it and make a route for the autonomous rover train. that i think it's more cost effective option.

By all means trains are better in the long run. Since i'm a such a bean counter,  i prefer having a cheaper option that is. nicely done anyways! i really do love the idea of it. as long as it is more cost effective

On 2/6/2018 at 4:10 AM, Blind Io said:

Wow. Great effort! I love the hover-rail idea and that you've gone to the trouble of drawing it. 

In either the March or April update, vehicles will get an overhaul that should hopefully take away some of the current limitations/issues. 

Then it's a hop, skip, and a jump to the final release (no date on that!) and we'll be into new vehicles,  ideally including something like this. 

Personally I think the game would be missing something if we don't end up with some kind of rail system, and what you've got is a fantastic example. 

Also I believe that this month's update should make your basebuilding easier!

Hmm - could there be an attachment to the front of a Large Rover (which has a stock of form of metal or ore), and create the tracks, and lay them down as it goes. Does sound a bit exotic though!  :-)

Wow! That looks awesome! I think that a hover track would be a great addition to the game, and your design fits the Astroneer "style" perfectly. Have you considered applying for a job at SES? That 3-D Model looks amazing  - you got my vote!

I have to say this (or something like it) is absolutely necessary

The random replacement of all the dumb stuff ruins every roadway we make, and driving the rovers over the stuff slows down the speed, and can cause the train of rovers to end up off the intended path, or even cause you to have to reassemble the train because … well you have seen what happens

I say something like it... tracks, roadway, path... it does not matter much at this point, just anything we can do to tell the planet we plan to drive here and wish to be permanently uninterrupted

T1.thumb.png.d08fc8175e4600b03701827e652a62f5.png

Sorry for the late update been busy. Here is a refined version based on the new rover model they have. I hope they add something like this to the game or if they allow modding I’ll be happy to provide all the models and textures necessary to whoever wants to mod it in if that time ever comes.

Wow! Just blows my mind, KillerShadow115! I really like your idea and appreciate the effort you have put into thinking it through. And those "Mine carts" are a thing of beauty. Bravo, and Huzzah to you!!

Even if it not needed, this would be a GREAT addition to the game and an answer to the requests of a self moving vehicle. The given concepts are great, especially KillerShadow115's, and I believe that this system should be similar to the "bungee cord" system previously used for rovers. Also, I have noticed that several of you have not payed attention to these maglev tracks. I will share my ideas:

Types:

Straight Track

Ninety Degree Turn Track

One Hundred Degree Turn Track

Train Bay (also acts as a turntable)

Small Maglev Engine

Large Maglev Engine

Small Train Car (pulled by Small Maglev Engine or Large Maglev Engine)

Large Train Car (pulled by Large Maglev Engine)

Recipes:

All Tracks (printed by Small Printer) 1 Titanium, 1 Copper

Train Bay (printed by Vehicle Bay) 1 Diamond, 1 Titanium Alloy, 2 Copper

Small Maglev Engine and Small Train Car (printed by Train Bay): 2 Aluminum Alloy, 2 Copper

Large Maglev Engine and Large Train Car (printed by Train Bay): 3 Aluminum Alloy, 3 Copper

The Train Bay is basically printer that acts as a turntable and has 6 slots. Is sits by itself and does not need a platform.

Edited by CopperyMarrow15

1 hour ago, CopperyMarrow15 said:

Even if it not needed, this would be a GREAT addition to the game and an answer to the requests of a self moving vehicle. The given concepts are great, especially KillerShadow115's, and I believe that this system should be similar to the "bungee cord" system previously used for rovers. Also, I have noticed that several of you have not payed attention to these maglev tracks. I will share my ideas:

Types:

Straight Track

Ninety Degree Turn Track

One Hundred Degree Turn Track

Train Bay (also acts as a turntable)

Small Maglev Engine

Large Maglev Engine

Small Train Car (pulled by Small Maglev Engine or Large Maglev Engine)

Large Train Car (pulled by Large Maglev Engine)

Recipes:

All Tracks (printed by Small Printer) 1 Titanium, 1 Copper

Train Bay (printed by Vehicle Bay) 1 Diamond, 1 Titanium Alloy, 2 Copper

Small Maglev Engine and Small Train Car (printed by Train Bay): 2 Aluminum Alloy, 2 Copper

Large Maglev Engine and Large Train Car (printed by Train Bay): 3 Aluminum Alloy, 3 Copper

The Train Bay is basically printer that acts as a turntable and has 6 slots. Is sits by itself and does not need a platform.

I like some of the ideas you have here and I will make sure to refine the train a bit more.

I will have to make a model for the engine's that I will probably place at the front of the train.(to define the ends of the train system.) 

I will also have to make a small train car, currently I only have the large one. 

currently working on a station design to dock the train. The station can also work as a checkpoint, as in when the train reaches the station it will scan for open slots on the station to drop off materials(like the smelter does when it finishes smelting) before returning to the player. 

I have not worked on the rails yet but I will make a few and show it here when I can. 

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'll try to get an update out as soon as I can.

Minecarts. Make them smaller so they better fit underground. Each car only contains one tier-2 slot and has no front or back slots. Using them requires laying down a track (buildable with the backback printer, uses Compound. Since they're on a track you don't have the same physics issues that plague rover trains over 4 cars long, so you can easily allow 8 or more minecarts in a train. Trains stop at a minecart station. Requires power *at the station base*, not the minecarts themselves.

Intended purpose: fast travel back and forth between the head of your underground mine and the above base.

Secondary purpose that players will use it for: fast travel between surface bases. Streamers will inevitably make roller coasters, and that will be perfectly fine.

Laying the tracks themselves? Use the same in-game mechanic used for Power Extenders. That is, you place track nodes and the curvature will be auto-generated.

The Power Extenders can be mounted on the ceiling and can go in loop-de-loops. Using the same mechanics for a minecart track means the minecarts can ride upside down too. People will inevitably make and share roller coasters. DO NOT PATCH THIS OUT - this might be some of the finest player-generated content ever seen.