It could be interesting if there was a floating or flying drone the player could remotely control from a limited distance that would fly and let them see over obstacles like mountains or down in caves. It could use basic fuel like hydrazine or power. I think this would also make exploring tough terrain more efficient and give people a nice birds-eye view of an area.

i agreed with that idea, but it's better to make them autonomous,  the user can set their search radius. Use of small batteries packs for energy and a canister of hydrazine for main power generation for the battery, much like the real world industrial drone available on the market today. 

Yes, they could scan terrain for the specified resources and show them on screen (like wallhack or xray). In Subnautica drones works great, devs should inspire from that.

On 18.02.2018 at 1:26 AM, tam12025 said:

i agreed with that idea, but it's better to make them autonomous,  the user can set their search radius. Use of small batteries packs for energy and a canister of hydrazine for main power generation for the battery, much like the real world industrial drone available on the market today. 

As tam12025 wrote it would just better sit in this game if they would be autonomous.

An automated drone, occupying a backpack slot. On the drone itself you can place up to two (or even 3?) objects.
The drone drains energy from it's own internal battery and if it depletes it returns automatically to the "docking station". If the docking station is on your backpack the drone will consume your astroneer's energy to reload.

Now the drone only needs a purpose.

My first thought is a courier service: Put things on it and it travels somewhere, unloads and comes back. But I really have no idea how to implement and control this.

If (defensive) weapons may be implemented drones could be a way to automate this: Defense drones for yourself or the base at the cost of constant energy drain and small downtimes while recharging.

Utility System Carrier: Working Light, Material Detectors (A detector is specifically calibrated for only one material thus you need multiple different ones for a general scanner), built in beacon...

I like the idea of Beginning able to construct drone that autonomous go out and scan the terrain to make a map you can pull out of your back pack and maybe eventually getting a upgrade allowing them to sample the soil and it will give a radius in which it is in and as you progress you can upgrade it so the radius is smaller and more exact allowing you to eventually funnel down to exact coords

just an idea for a Larger Drone.

Mabye they could be used to gather Soil or other things from the Storms on Planets.
like  soil for Tera. 
and later on some form of energy from the Radiation Storm.

just fill it up with fuel (like the shuttle) attach some canisters and launch while in a storm.

I like the idea of have a small drone that you control for simply exploration so you know weather or not its worth your time to do something and also autonomous drones for automation

5 hours ago, Rebelord said:

I like the idea of have a small drone that you control for simply exploration so you know weather or not its worth your time to do something and also autonomous drones for automation

I've supported this idea for a long time. You could have a tablet/phone type device to which the drone sends video. Also, if GPS were implemented that would be great. And a cheese cart.

16 hours ago, Mordred478 said:

I've supported this idea for a long time. You could have a tablet/phone type device to which the drone sends video. Also, if GPS were implemented that would be great. And a cheese cart.

Cheese cart?