SES_joe

The "Basebuilding Update" - February 22nd, 2018

11 minutes ago, starionx said:

XBOX One.

Power crystals do NOT replenish the main power unit on the Astroneer. The same for the small battery.

Seems you can't edit your post after 10 minutes. Pitiful.

In regards to my previous post, loose crystals that are sucked up the terrain tool DO replenish the main power unit, but once they become a power stack, they no longer work.

I have the impression that the control has been changed more for the console than for the PC. Maybe it's a matter of habit but I think the previous one was more intuitive.

The controls certainly are catering to controllers, yes.
While I personally found it to be good enough with mouse and keyboard as well, I can see many people wanting a one-click experience like before. Although it truly is just a matter of habit. I've been playing the game with the old controls since before launch, but it took me not even one session to get used to the new concept. It's likely to be an option in the future anyway. Right now they only have 1 control scheme which needs to work for both methods.

I'd have to say that I really like the new headlamp on the Astroneer. It sure makes digging a lot easier, especially when working on the ceiling or down in a hole. Having that extra tilt on the headlamp is awesome, could use just a bit more though. ;)

Back to the landing pad, now that I've played the game over the weekend a lot more, I have to say that the landing pad is quite of an annoyance in the base and would need to be moved further away. I found it that it restricted my expansion of the base on the one side. Maybe having something that is deployable when you land, perhaps a crate.

There was also another thing I found out of place and that was the fireworks. Doesn't really fit with base building update, perhaps it would've been more suitable for the Fourth of July update.

"Holding Q on keyboard or Y on Gamepad will now open the Catalog whether or not the Backpack is open."

This is bugged on XBox at least. Opening the catalog this way will not leave you with a cursor, so there's no way to switch categories of items. 

3 hours ago, Skysaw said:

"Holding Q on keyboard or Y on Gamepad will now open the Catalog whether or not the Backpack is open."

This is bugged on XBox at least. Opening the catalog this way will not leave you with a cursor, so there's no way to switch categories of items. 

Use the left/right bumper controls to switch between categories.

Not having a cursor is good because it defaults to the button on the screen control. Press the 'A' button and it opens the switch cover. Press 'A' again to press the on/start button.

Having to move the 'cursor' to the on/off switch was so painfully slow.

:)

Edited by starionx

I am running the alpha on an XboxOneX.  The vehicle bay seems to be bugged in that it does not print the rover even though there is power and I have the 4 compounds inserted into the bay.  There is no prompt for Y or X to use the bay to create the rover.  If I hit X it brings up the deform(?) tool, if I hit Y it brings up the catalog.

Im doing a lazy review and say that I cant come up with anything the youtubers  Z1 Gaming or Biffa Play Indie Games have not feedbacked on yet.

But Im impressed by the work so far. Unusual controls but the game is so streamlined. I love that you can print a large storage onto a platform.

While I type- the sound at the new main-habitat is a bit painful if I already are getting a headache. Its an low but intense and annoying hum hum hum-sound. Please turn the volume on that sound down? Or provide a specific setting for it in the sound menu so we can adjust it ourselves.

Edited by Moonminer008

1 minute ago, Moonminer008 said:

... While I type- the sound at the new main-habitat is a bit painful if I already are getting a headache. Its an low but intense and annoying hum hum hum-sound. Please turn the volume on that sound down? Or provide an specifically setting for it in the sound menu so we can adjust ourselves.

Agreed!

Hi folks,

I've been playing the new release(s) for a few days now, and I must say, AMAZING!  Well done SES.  The base-building changes are a ton of fun, with the extenders being a particular sweet spot.  The new animations are wonderful

In a recent YouTube video, Z1 Gaming made the comment that a longer extender would be helpful, particularly when doing long runs.  I agree.  2 copper each?

On the topic of balance, it seems there are a lot less research items in the caves.  I just arrived at a new cave, and my first thought was "Do I really want to spend an hour running around down there just to get maybe 4 research items?".  It seems to me you've got to dial back up the frequency of research items, especially considering most aren't worth that much.

As far as glitches, I've currently got a small rover chain that goes forever on zero power.  All power indicators are lit up, and never drain now matter how far I drive.  I've had other issues with power in my base station, but could never nail down exactly wasn't right. I worked around them by re configuring connections.  The medium battery and rover both make out-of-confrol charging noises when they're full charged and also receiving fresh power. A hundred "+" signs flow out of them each second.

In terms of preferences, I'm finding the E/Use key to be a pain, and sometimes I get key-tangled trying to close my backpack and instead somehow pull out my soil gun and rip up a spot of ground I just leveled.  This usually happens when I'm hurrying because a storm is coming or a gas bag just belched at me.  And using the E/use key to activate the Medium Printer and other devices just feels wrong.  Big jiucy buttons are so much more fun.  They don't have to have switch covers, but I wouldn't mind if they did.

To sum this release up:  A+

spinlock

Does anybody else play this with a Steam Controller?  I found a profile that I liked before the update, but it sounds like this patch uses some new keys (use / examine) so we might need to shuffle some things around.

Is there a dedicated thread for Steam Controller issues? Maybe a plan for dedicated support?  It takes some time to set up, but really works great!

On 2/25/2018 at 7:40 AM, Bill Sargent said:

Honestly... I'd like to see some options in the menus to disable certain things... like storms.

Me too!  And nighttime too!  Even on Terran, I spend so much time in the dark the game has taken on a dark motif in my memory when I think about it.

I like this update. 67 hours on it since the update. I'm retired. I can do that. My guy gets stuck walking around like he is in a dust storm when it's clear but all I need to do is get out of the game and back in to straighten that out. If I have any suggestions at this time it would be to add anchors to the rovers so you can position them and not have to worry about them getting blown down an incline when the wind comes up or when you are using the drill the unit slides out of position.

18 minutes ago, pbartbar said:

when you are using the drill the unit slides out of position.

I HATE THIS!!!

that's why i have think about a obvious and simple way to fix it.

all you guys should know about that problem on the vehicles of the game that have crane and drills. BECAUSE THEY ARE SLIDING AND SLOWLY GETTING OUT OF POSITION WHEN YOU ARE USING THEM. This is annoying. That's why I have think about a interesting resource to the vehicles that are similar of what industrial tractors have; two or fours auxiliary "legs" on the vehicle that are fixed to the ground, preventing the vehicle from slipping or falling over the ground as it get stuck in position. Interesting, is not it? This would not only be a way to solve the problem of sliding vehicles, but also a VERY USEFUL FEATURE for the vehicles of the game, or also for things that need it.

20 minutes ago, x.media said:

Not the best idea, but useful ...

Hide contents

20180227230313_1.thumb.jpg.803695a2d72e3e476d8d0525d53fe885.jpg

yes, that's good. But it would not be very good to be forced to use the drills just that way. My idea of the auxiliary fasteners would be much better to add in the game, so that we could fix the vehicles to work on steep terrains, high terrains, etc. And much other useful ways to work with it.

Played the game for the first time in a while after the update, the whole long-press X and Y buttons to interact thing was both difficult to read (both are small-ish grey prompt sthat don't use the classic blue X and yellow Y convention) and understand (I don't seem to get why some objects want me to long press Y instead of X to interact and vice-versa).

Hope this is the right place to post this!

The new way you interface with vehicles isn't really working that well but the old version wasn't much better. You'd had to stand near the ghost image of the Astroneer then fiddle around a bit, trying to aim the camera towards the seat to get into it.

Now we have to literally hover the cursor over the seat, habitat or capsule to get into it but this can be done from a distance and if the deform tool is out, even further out.

qw4308s.png

So the question I have is, why can't we have something simpler? When you exit the vehicle or habitat or even the capsule, there is a exit zone, you jump out, that's where you pop out. So why can't we have the same thing for entry zone. He stand next to the seat and press the use key and you're in. Even the habitat, stand near the door and you press use key and you're inside. Yes, I understand that the vehicle are a bit different because you're not always at the right level to the seat but maybe having a spherical entry zone next to the seat will allow you to enter the vehicle.

Another thing, pressing and holding the use key to get into vehicles is just a pain. Let us just entered a vehicle and go.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, Pizza Man said:

I am running the alpha on an XboxOneX.  The vehicle bay seems to be bugged in that it does not print the rover even though there is power and I have the 4 compounds inserted into the bay.  There is no prompt for Y or X to use the bay to create the rover.  If I hit X it brings up the deform(?) tool, if I hit Y it brings up the catalog.

It's not bugged, just activated differently than other modules.  I figured out I need to hit the Y key to bring up the backpack and cursor, then use the cursor to select either the arrow key or the activate key to make the item.  All the modules should work the same way throughout the game as some modules use <hold X> to use or <hold Y> to examine and <A> to activate, while the Printer and Vehicle Bay use Y to bring up the backpack and cursor.  Be consistent in how the game works to avoid confusion.  Good job overall with the game though.

One thing I didn't like is how easy the medium rover is to overturn when driving, and then it can't be righted again.  Finally ended up bulding a large rover and using it to turn. the medium rovers over.  Now I have train with medium rovers.

"The tabletops of the mountains make a great place to set up bases, as the high elevation provides relief from the onslaught of Tumblespikes in the expanses below". Not true. I am setting up a base on top of one of these and there are just as many tumble spikes as down below.

3 hours ago, Pizza Man said:

It's not bugged, just activated differently than other modules.  I figured out I need to hit the Y key to bring up the backpack and cursor, then use the cursor to select either the arrow key or the activate key to make the item.

You can use L2 to use the cursor without the backpack!

9 minutes ago, pbartbar said:

"The tabletops of the mountains make a great place to set up bases, as the high elevation provides relief from the onslaught of Tumblespikes in the expanses below". Not true. I am setting up a base on top of one of these and there are just as many tumble spikes as down below.

I take that back. They are worse. I can't do anything without constantly getting hit.

6.2 just downloaded on the Xbox. Any patch notes since it’s different from the original 6.1 hotfix? 

Nvm. Just saw the update. 

Edited by jbarth09