SES_joe

The "Basebuilding Update" - February 22nd, 2018

I think it's time to call this "Astroneer 2.0" ...

This update looks really good.  It's added quite a few bugs (already mentioned in other posts in this thread) but the changes are starting to make sense.  Good job!

But, I still hold that the game has changed drastically.  Sure sure, Alpha and all.  But I still hold the original concept and it's simplicity dearly.  Hope that an add-on in the future would re-do the old game and it's quirks and simple methods as a bonus feature.  The new game, as it stands, is looking interesting.  But it's nowhere near what we were buying into over a year ago.

Now, on to more bug searching... ehem, I mean gaming playing :)

Oh, and the game seem darker than ever.  Was that an "F.U." from the devs?  :(

I'm running on an older, crapper machine (Carbon X1) and the new research is all blank. It wasn't before.

Also, the clouds are obscuring the Home beacon. Any way to turn clouds off? I don't want to get lost fifty yards from home.

2018-02-24.png

OK, I have to agree with some in bringing back the tab key.  Some of the changes have increased the tedious issues with the game.  It's got to be "drivable" not matter how "cool" it is, or no-one will play it in the end.  Tedious is negated by the coolness factor, but only so much.  Work on the simplicity of actions.

Edited by Nargg

Okay... Here's the thing with this update. I feel as if this update adds a way too confusing aspect to this game. It was so confusing that I myself was struggling a bit to figure it out with the guide. Alright... So you have to craft this thing, to craft this thing, to finally... craft what you need... and this is the first thing you must do when you drop in the main world. I feel as if this would be way to confusing for people who just got the game (considering it was confusing for me). The simplicity of making bases is an aspect of this game you need to keep. It is something I feel made this game more likable.  When a game gets too complicated, It becomes less fun. The only part I really liked about this update is the ship design when you land on the main planet. You can keep that. It's awesome. 

3 minutes ago, coldouglbach said:

Okay... Here's the thing with this update. I feel as if this update adds a way too confusing aspect to this game. It was so confusing that I myself was struggling a bit to figure it out with the guide. Alright... So you have to craft this thing, to craft this thing, to finally... craft what you need... and this is the first thing you must do when you drop in the main world. I feel as if this would be way to confusing for people who just got the game (considering it was confusing for me). The simplicity of making bases is an aspect of this game you need to keep. It is something I feel made this game more likable.  When a game gets too complicated, It becomes less fun. The only part I really liked about this update is the ship design when you land on the main planet. You can keep that. It's awesome. 

Well the platforms are really nice and the ability to move things around. But the progression of things needed to craft things would be a bit of a challenge for new players, I must agree there. I got the hang of it quickly but thats because I spend ungodly amounts of time playing :) I'm not understanding the need for a small fabricator just to make a bigger one. I'd also like to see the ability to repack the base components and move your base if you want... including the original habitat. 

I'm noticing that power doesn't flow through the Large Storage at all. Not from Solar Panels, Batteries or even Power capsules. Is this intended?

5 hours ago, Bill Sargent said:

I'd also like to see the ability to repack the base components and move your base if you want... including the original habitat. 

I have to agree being able to move your entire base and just pack it up and take it with you would be pretty awesome 

1 hour ago, UrineJoeGarin said:

Hi,

i like all the new look modules, but I still get the ‘old’ conical habitat rather than the new larger rounder one?

My starting base has the bigger one, but all other settlements I made dont. Starting a new game though.... I always get the bigger habitat.

2 hours ago, PedroAsani said:

I'm noticing that power doesn't flow through the Large Storage at all. Not from Solar Panels, Batteries or even Power capsules. Is this intended?

Yeah I noticed that too. 

7 hours ago, pbartbar said:

Why so many more storms on Exotic? Can't get anything done with a storm every 3-4 minutes.

Honestly... I'd like to see some options in the menus to disable certain things... like storms.

I made a remark a few days ago about not being able to find the mushroom forest on Exotic now everywhere I go it's a mushroom forest. Impossible to use rovers now on Exotic. Very limited on how much exploring can be done.

Patch notes review:

Platforms working pretty well. Persistent oxygen on large platforms seems too good. Sticking to walls and ceilings is cool but kind of crazy. Love that I can put vehicle modules on platforms.

Fabricators and being able to bootstrap a base from nothing are cool. (assuming you can get power to the small fab.) Although I was somewhat surprised that small crates were not built in the backpack. Love using materials from backpack. Neat how they stop running when the area is blocked.

Crates are neat, but I think I'll mostly be taking raw materials to set up new bases - a 2x crate usually represents 2 resources, and takes up the same space as a storage with 8 resources. The medium platform crates are least 1-1, but I have not used them much so far, since most platforms are being built for large modules. I'm still playing with stuff, perhaps crates will be better for nearby expansion bases. Looking forward to officially being able to unpack crates on vehicles.

Extenders are a neat trick for adding UI, but are really figity. I often end up stacking extra ones to of each other trying to plug things in, and find it's best to carry them at little as possible.

I have not used small platforms as much as I probably should, will still take some getting used to. When I think about bootstrapping, I find myself wanting more of them - power nuggets, batteries, maybe power cells.

Interactions are still a bit awkward - I don't mind the holding much, but I pull out the tool or catalog a lot, forgetting I have to point at the object I want.

Did not think of rotating non-platforms for a while. Not always clear when modules (in particular fabricators) will accept a rotation or reset to a fixed rotation. Glad I can finally rotate oxygen tank to be more visible on shoulder slots.

Overall

I know things are in transition at the moment, but discoverability took a big hit. I assume the different interaction styles will get resolved, although I think the post about couch visibility summed up some of my feelings about the control panels, even though I play at a monitor. Getting basebuilding started used to be matter of finding the extension point and then filling in the provided holograms. I ran across a streamer stuck on getting a fabricator running - power being the main issue. I gathered that he and a friend had been having fun digging through the planet in a previous session, and were now beyond the reach of any tutorial.

7 hours ago, Bill Sargent said:

Honestly... I'd like to see some options in the menus to disable certain things... like storms.

I've been asking for this since day one.  The game needs dials to ramp up the difficulty or down.  Add or remove things, etc etc.  That would make the game far more compatible with more players and their styles.

On Xbox One there is a glitch I got were after I built a three-seater on a medium rover I can no longer use my terrain tool. Doe any have a way to fix or is my game broken until its fixed? 

2 hours ago, ArticWolfGamer said:

On Xbox One there is a glitch I got were after I built a three-seater on a medium rover I can no longer use my terrain tool. Doe any have a way to fix or is my game broken until its fixed? 

I believe this fix is in the 0.6.1.0 update. Until then unfortunately there's no workaround. System Era are able to push the update on Steam immediately, but the Xbox update has to go via Microsoft so takes a bit longer. 

Took another run at controller. Overall a lot better, but still not competitive for my tastes.

- Camera while moving things was the biggest pain. Aggravated by changing y axis based on current camera/cursor mode. Maybe I should try not inverting, but I always take inverted camera when I have it.
- Selecting cables vs. modules can be a little frustrating without bringing up the cursor. I was however able to go quite a while without remember how to bring up a cursor at all.
- On counter point, I was disappointed that Z/X did not change catalog categories like the bumpers do.
- Proximity grab can pick up unknowns under plants without digging anything