SES_joe

The "Basebuilding Update" - February 22nd, 2018

18 minutes ago, Shawn Schaaf said:

Pros: can move and rearrange platforms. Fabricator can be placed on the Platform you want to build on(you still need to unpack it even though it shows the completed product.....Why) new free small platform just keep calling for your starting package keeps on giving (any other purpose for the landing pad????????) Now both generators auto feed themselves even when they are not needed(remember to turn those off)

Cons: Still no goals...(yah yah early access) things that used to auto load themselves like dirt in the sifter thing that now only grab 1 from the platform(not a storage trey) canisters now go into the small fabricator slot(for No reason) only to randomly go flying off. Shift clicking to pickup objects with a full inventory throws the item. the old habitat is still printable and still looks the same but no longer works as the control module for space craft(so why even let me build a second large storage trey if it makes the shuttle not function)

To Be Honest. the biggest con was this not going through an experimental faze before you made it part of the stable build. yes you wanted the streamers to show this stuff for sales but you showed people you willing to skip testing of updates in an early access game that we all payed to help test why bother having an experimental branch if your not willing to use it any more???????

The landing pad will be used for when other players join your game. 

oh and why is it being touted as a free update? you mean your already planning on dlc before the game is completed or that in the future updates will cost us? Pc gamer and steam news both calling a free update is well disheartening considering micro transactions are rife in the current market

10 hours ago, Shawn Schaaf said:

yah we arnt streamers we just payed to be testers so why should they have had this in the experimental for at least as long as it has been available to the streamers

oh yah they have not updated experimental In months

I imagine running experimental is not worth the trouble, because so many aspects keep changing. How do you keep one bit of new code separate from some other bit of not quite so new code?

I also had the bug that the rover did not charge. 

1. Created vehicle bay on a large platform (I love this flexible platforms so much!)
  2. Put 4 compound on the platform
  3. Started printing the rover
  4. Pressed the button again, the system stopped printing (without loosing the compound)
  5. Restarted the rover-printing with the same set of compound
  6. Got the rover ... but It does not charge, neither when I put the generator directly on the back of the car

Anyone else seen this (windoof 8). Maybe it was because I stop/started the process? Have to check that with a new vehicle bay module. 

What I really love is the time things need! That feels so much more realistic. Rather than having a rover printed, a nugged smelted, and a canister of dirt processed in 2 seconds it now takes a decent amount of time. It just feels better, even if takes longer. Cool.

Totally PISSED OFF 

xbox user
yes i understand this is a Alpha state game but this update has possibly made this game a lost cause to me !

Took a game that was fun for a week and change and flushed it down the drain!
Base destroyed and none functional and now back to starting point !

it is NOT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO ME LAND ANY WHERE NEAR MY BASE for some reason as new update caught me off home world trying to start new base (not possible for god knows why)

head home and can not target my home base as it no longer has the bubble area to select ?! 

Edited by PUPDOG19

1 minute ago, PUPDOG19 said:

Totally PISSED OFF 
yes i understand this is a Alpha state game but this update has possibly made this game a lost cause to me !

it is NOT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO ME LAND ANY WHERE NEAR MY BASE for some reason as new update caught me off home world trying to start new base (not possible for god knows why)

head home and can not target my home base as it no longer has the bubble area to select ?! 

Whatever you encountered there is a rather particular bug. It's a shame that happened, but please do not blame the development/game as whole for that.
If possible provide some more information about your issue, though. Maybe the cause can be found.

Just now, Wyvyrias said:

Whatever you encountered there is a rather particular bug. It's a shame that happened, but please do not blame the development/game as whole for that.
If possible provide some more information about your issue, though. Maybe the cause can be found.

ill look into it tomorrow after some sleep and having another go then post new info !
but as i have only a couple hours of spare time to relax in and dozens of games to chooses from i WAS enjoying the simple and formally enjoyable game ....  

we will se what tomorrow brings.

My rovers try to bury their front in into the ground when I exit them LOL. 

On 2/23/2018 at 1:28 PM, PUPDOG19 said:

Totally PISSED OFF 

xbox user

I think normally, the game tries to land near the vehicle bay... since the game was updated, your old save had to be deconstructed into boxes... that means that the vehicle bay is boxed up and so you can land at the next drop spot and you'll have to unbox your base and set it up again then when you land again, you'll be able to land near your base.  You should read the forum more about how the old game saves were to be handled in this upgrade before going off on a rant about how horrible the game is now. This is a MAJOR update to the core of the game... You should try being a bit more understanding.

1 hour ago, PUPDOG19 said:

Totally PISSED OFF 

xbox user

START A NEW GAME, as you should expect to do with any major update.

Big Congratulations to the team on the latest update, nicely done. B|

But it does need a lot of work, so let me get started. Here are a few things I've noticed in the couple of hours of play.

The landing sequence.
When I launched from the station and started descending towards the planet, a question popped in my head.  Where is a new habitat but when the capsule landed and then literally flatten the hectare of land. I said to myself "WTF is this!", so I press the exit key. There 'n' behold was the NEW habitat and landing pad. Hmmm, that was kind of disappointting. Now that I seem the new habitat up close, I don't think it is appropriate at this time to start with such a large habitat. I know, the capsule was kind of too small but this new habitat is just too large. Maybe what is needed is something in the middle. As for the landing pad, don't like having it that close to the habitat, I'd rather be able to move it somewhere else.

Object Rotation.
I'm very glad to see they finally implemented rotation to objects but don't really care much for using the Z and X keys to rotate. I think it would be better to use the mouse wheel. Yes, I know it's being used to zoom in and out but how many times do we zoom in and out when rotating, we don't. So why not have it so when we select the object, we can rotate it with the mouse wheel but when you don't have anything selected then the zoom in and out will work. Also the rotation speed could be a little bit faster.

Two different USE keys.
This is something that just doesn't make any sense. So keep it "SUPER" simple.

Holding key to interact.
This is quite annoying already, reminds me of No Man's Sky. If you're going to use this, maybe cut the time in half and let players try it and see if they like it.

Headlamp bopping.
Running around in the caverns and this bopping of the lamp is kind of making me a bit sick. Perhaps a little less bouncy.

Can't move when operating medium fabricator.
Kind of a pain when you're trying to print something and you're standing in the print area and can't move off of it.

Pausing Operations.
With the ability to pause operations on certain modules like the smelter. I didn't notice that you couldn't pause the research chambers or maybe I just missed something.

Small generator footprint.
When placing the generator on the ground, it has a footprint when you drop it but you can't see it when you're holding it. It would be nice to be able to see the footprint before dropping it so you can point it in the correct direction. These footprints should also be handy for the small solar panel and the small wind turbine.

Exiting menus.
This is been a frustration with this new update, sometimes I can exit, other times I literally have to press the escape key to close them.

Well that's it for now, also a big thank you for fixing the 360° swing. :D

Dude, this is an insanely nice update - suddenly trying to set up a subterranean base-camp is not cumbersome and a solar/wind farm can power them directly and not the topside base. I am, at present, finding it difficult to come up with a suggestion for these new tools.

Wait - one.  If scrolling through build components (on the Fabricator) if one accidentally scrolls left and right, could the Fabricator send it to the nearest slot on the platform, without having slotted the components on the platform beforehand, if there is room instead of winging them into the air?

epic update SES team thank you!!!

A few things and probably the same things as others have said already but yeah.
1. Movable landing pad!
2. Movable Habitat! (Buildable as well from a Large Fabricator or vehicle bay but in a box?)
3. I noticed while in the caves that when exiting a vehicle it will jump insanely and place player character under it. But that could be just an old save glitch, if so I'll deal with it.
4. Please make research entities (look I don't know what to call them ok lol) detectable by a backpack scanner/radar device like the research thingy?
5. Make research entities respawn to help make bytes easily accessible! Maybe the ones found on tree things (on the surface) and plants (research entities on plants is above terrain) that remain in terrain?
6. Have research entities display the amount of bytes it contains when moveover.
7. Tooltips for terrain gun attachments so I can read what they do please!?
8. A player character health bar would be good, so we can tell how much health character has when facing those hostile flora... and soon the Fauna.
9. I noticed that backpack doesn't use harvested energy from terrain when out of power, probably the same for O2. But that could be an old save glitch.
10. I would like a Storm direction indicator to flash maybe above both Habitat and Pod, to show where it is coming from and which way it is going both colour coded or could be a directional arrow with a siren lol.
11. Really want aerial vehicles like the rovers.
12. Builable base foundations (that remain level) would be a great addition to the new base building system.
13. Lock feature for terrain gun to be on Levelling without alt or ctrl pressed, maybe as an attachment.

Just a report for the Developers about save games, the terrain looked like it shifted and there are gaps at random points showing either nothing or empty box like areas that contain doodads like the fallen parts of ships or satellites but with terrain gun was able to close the gap. Just thought you should be aware of how the update affected old saves.

I will start a new game though.

Short update: I reported a bug where the rover did not charge. That's true, but I was able to jump ('E') into the seat and drive the rover away from the vehicle bay even if fully empty. There, it immediately started charging over the small solar panel. The second rover I've printed (no stop/restart action) automatically started charging after printing. If, then this is only a very small bug, but nothing serious :).

Thx and Greez to SES!

Sorry for the translation. I do not speak English. However, the update caused questions.

1. Transformation of the capsule into the Residential module - you can not imagine anything worse. Is it really impossible to place unpackable boxes with the Living module and the platform in the capsule slots? And after creating the base, it just flies away.
2. When the capsule will learn to sit down in a FLOOR place? Often even in the tunnels landed.
3. Why are so bright colors in the soil? Pity the eyes of the players.
4. Who painted the new gun? Why again spoil everything? Do something new, and do not do it over and over again.
5. What is the astronaut sitting in the airlock?
6. Why does an astronaut fly back into the airlock? Can not just go in?
7. Why does the gateway always open, if you can enter only by pressing the E key?
8. Why is the gateway not illuminated from the inside?
9. Why is the light in the windows of the Residential module, when the astronaut is inside?
10. Jumping modules from boxes - this is a bad joke designer?
11. When will the pause menu appear?
12. Why is it necessary to press F1 again in every new game session?
13. Correct the bugs!
14. Correct the control of the rover! You press forward - you go ahead, and not where the camera and mouse point.
15. Do you test what you give to the players? I doubt it. Do you play Astronomer yourself? I doubt it. How else to explain the control of the E and Q keys, esc ... Stop breaking the game. Key on the keyboard a lot.
16. Are you sure that in the game XXV century? Someone show the designer a modern fantasy film! "Martian", for example. Design, management and color design from the XIX century.
17. Control panels on platforms and in knapsack are simply ugly and very uncomfortable. Increased control panels prevent seeing holograms.
18. When will normal cabins be created for rovers?
19. The residential module is beautiful. Platforms - OK. The rest is a new set of bugs and a poorly executed job. The control mechanics are terrible: find a tiny control panel to press E, understand that you have to hold E, inadvertently press Q, close it all up on esc, inadvertently click on the module installed on the platform, and then try to put it back and collect the scattered resources ... The worst update. Correct one error, release the update to make new over 9000. Hire professionals!

Guys, thanks for the update, good job, but I have a few comments;

• In the patch notes, you describe two versions of the Medium Platform, what are the differences and what sets them apart in appearance?
  • I'm having trouble trying to make the larger solar panels.  I assume that the Medium Fabricator makes them but after researching them, no option comes up to make them?
  • Please can you add a lock button for running?  Sometimes I load up with tethers and it would be great just to run along, but Shift + W + T to drop tethers as you go is a small problem for the non-Vulcans among us using one hand and the mouse to control direction.

image.png

23 hours ago, Shawn Schaaf said:

the old habitat is still printable and still looks the same but no longer works as the control module for space craft(so why even let me build a second large storage trey if it makes the shuttle not function)

You still use the habitat for this?

1. Print your large shuttle

2. print the enclosed seat on top

3. grab the enclosed seat and place it to the side

4. print 2 large storage on your shuttle

5. place the enclosed seat back on it, on one of the large storage

Basically, all they did there was fix an unwanted exploit, and the only real downside to it is now we have to unlock the enclosed seat, which is how it should have been before.

I've noticed that batteries on rovers no longer work unless they are connected to the front or back... so no batteries on storage work. 

18 hours ago, Ming said:

Sorry for the translation. I do not speak English. However, the update caused questions.

.. The worst update. Correct one error, release the update to make new over 9000. Hire professionals!

A lesson in manners is what you need. Maybe you don't understand that this is a work in progress. It's also the best update so far. This has added to the game what many of us couldn't understand why wasn't already in it. -- If you dont like the game, don't play it. Go write your own... oh thats right, you probably cant because you have no idea how coding a game works. f off.

I appreciate the update, especially the Platform (you can move it freely even there is a object above it), Extenders (It's good, because you can connect the solar panel crashed site to your base), The BOXES (you can bring them wherever you are, no need for the resources to bring to another world except Hydrazine, you need it to fuel up your space craft).

But I found something that the rovers is not charging even you put two small solar panel and connect 3 rovers and connect it to your base platform, then later on its charging and not discharging when there is no Sun light.

Good Work System Era Softworks Team and nice update.  :D

Overall, I'm loving this update.

good:

I love the new modular base design.  Choosing the exact placement and orientation of each platform is awesome.

The larger habitat looks neat, and I guess might hint at possible interiors eventually?

The larger flattened area makes it a lot easier to level out even more space for expanding the base.

The movable platforms make life much nicer.  Now we can place 4 wind turbines on a large platform, and just move it around to catch the wind.

I only played with the Extenders a little bit today, but so far so good.  (Except for the pack falling right through the ground right next to my habitat when I tried to store it there.)

neutral:

Noticed that the large platforms can connect to tethers and provide O2, but the small platforms don't.  Interesting, and I guess it makes sense.  Adds to the challenge of base design.

Now the small generator can auto-feed itself from nearby resources once you feed one in.  Convenient at night, not so much when there are other, better power sources working and I want it turn off.

bad:

Still waiting for the rover controls to be overhauled.  They still stink on ice.  Yuck.

I don't like the removal of front and back mounts from the large rover.  How about giving us an adapter attachment instead?

Tethers connect to EVERY large platform within range.  It's like a laser light show in here.

Kind of expect others to mention:

With the ability to place the vehicle bay on uneven ground, eventually somebody's going to have a bad time with their shuttle.

I really like this update. It is so functional! But at the same time I'm a lttle sad about that all feeling of realism is gone. It is more like cartoon network now.

10 hours ago, Indomitus1973 said:

Now the small generator can auto-feed itself from nearby resources once you feed one in.  Convenient at night, not so much when there are other, better power sources working and I want it turn off. 

You can turn off small generators by the using the action button on them! Very handy. 

Also there is talk of interiors in the future, and you can attach stuff to the front and back of rovers. 

15 hours ago, Glyndwr said:

• In the patch notes, you describe two versions of the Medium Platform, what are the differences and what sets them apart in appearance?
  • I'm having trouble trying to make the larger solar panels.  I assume that the Medium Fabricator 

The two medium platforms are the one that is dropped on the landing pad and the one that you can fabricate. I think the differences are just aesthetic. 

Solar panels are still printed at the medium printer, not the fabricator. 

Got a chance to play around with the Extenders and was quite surprised by the results I got after running some to a derelict solar array. It took me about 20 minutes to do so but I made it, connected the last one to the solar array and ran back to the base to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Well I was quite surprised that I wasn't receiving any power, so I thought maybe one of the connection wasn't connected properly. I ran back and checked all the connections of the Extenders and nothing was wrong.
Then to my surprise, I notice that the arrows weren't moving the right direction. I said to myself " You've got to be kidding!" So I jump on the web to the patch notes and scrolled down the list. There it was "Directional".

Hmm, so you'd think it was directional both ways but "NO" it isn't. So the question I have for the team is "WHY?". That would be like having one way directional connections between platforms if you don't connect the right cable in the right direction, you won't get any power flowing. Does that make any sense?