Happyakrz

Road Development with Paver

For better travel from one post on-planet to another, it would be interesting to create roads that the rover can traverse over easier than driving everywhere in an "off-road" mode.  This would conserve energy on the rover, and possibly allow for higher speeds.

The "Paver" could be similar to the large rover, as a stand-alone mobile module with two different modes:

1. Auto Pilot -- the Paver is moved into position with the use of a large rover, and then disconnected, and "programmed" for auto-pilot in a straight line from the point of origin.  If the Paver encountered cliffs, mountains, rocks, plants, etc., it would automatically stop auto-pilot, and switch into a "pause" mode, awaiting the player to come and redirect.
  2. Pulled behind the large rover -- slow going, time-consuming, but faster than on Auto-Pilot

The Paver could be created in a similar fashion to the paver pulled behind Lightning McQueen in Cars.  Large repositories can be included in the front of the device for the materials needed (soil, resin, compound, etc.), as well as ports for energy sources (solar panels, wind turbines, etc.).  As the Paver moves forward, it creates a hard, durable surface behind it that is not affected by wind, plant growth, etc.

Thanks again to the Astroneer Developers for an Outstanding Game!!

Cars-disneyscreencaps.com-4809.jpg

I like this idea!

Personally, I thought of something more along the lines of special tethers - modules you would build a line out of (connecting like the base connections), that would later be filled with resin and generate a road with nice charge stations by the side. 

Bonus points for making those modules connect bases .

I was thinking of something like this but as head for the crane, something like an automatic version of the of the flatten tool, you choose an angle(or mayby to just goes with an average and follows the general terrain?) with the crane behind the cab then it'll constantly flatten an area in front of the large rover as you drive along at a slow speed. mayby it could place tethers by the side like GTG3000 mentiond

Great idea. This would solve the problem of finding the base. One could build it from hematite or introduce new minerals for road construction, for example: goitite, magnetite, dolomite, basalt rock. It is also necessary to redesign the beacon by entering the signs: base, mine of minerals, etc.

Variations of this have been suggested multiple times.  The devs seem to be opposed to anything that makes travel and navigation easier though, so don't hold your breath.