Sign in to follow this  
AstroBubba

How about Terraforming as a long-term goal?

People chatter about "endgames" and maybe something that would be cool would be terraforming a given planet such that a player's oxygen requirement is eliminated, or greatly reduced.

Let's face it, after a bunch of hours of gameplay, Tethers just get annoying and significantly limit free-ranging exploration on-foot (like mountain climbing, just for the fun of it!).

Don't get me wrong, Tethers are an awesome idea, and add a huge amount to the game's overall experience, but once you reach a certain level of experience/progress, the novelty wears very thin.  Yes, you could put a whack of Tanks on your back and go for quite a long time, but that impinges on your ability to harvest goodies you might find, and in the end is just extending a finite time you can explore.

Terraforming would require significant research, and resources to "fire-up", but maybe the effect would be gradual as well.  Perhaps some kind of "pressure" reading on the backpack would be indicative of a planet's atmosphere (or lack thereof), and that could change between planets, making each planet more unique in that regard. As the terraforming station(s) run, that planetary pressure reading would slowly increase, making your oxygen last longer.

The really tricky part is how to balance it all such that you can't simply mow down a mountain after the first hour of gameplay and build a terraforming station by going absolutely nowhere.  It needs to be a goal that requires significant exploration (on and offworld) and effort to accomplish. (all part & parcel of how the Resource Extractor and Trading Station are really bad ideas!)

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, AstroBubba said:

(all part & parcel of how the Resource Extractor and Trading Station are really bad ideas!)

you put this reference in a lot of your posts. great idea though.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, astroneer explorer said:

you put this reference in a lot of your posts. great idea though.

Just think of it this way...... if your awake at 3 am and have read all the other posts..... It gives you something else to read.

Id love to have terraforming in game..... Maybe have to build a few hundred nugget atmospheric conversion platform/tower on each landing site of a planet and then wait....and wait...... and wait........ and wait........

On 1/30/2018 at 9:53 AM, AstroBubba said:

The really tricky part is how to balance it all such that you can't simply mow down a mountain after the first hour of gameplay and build a terraforming station by going absolutely nowhere.  It needs to be a goal that requires significant exploration (on and offworld) and effort to accomplish. (all part & parcel of how the Resource Extractor and Trading Station are really bad ideas!)

Require multiple Terraforming Stations to be built in a couple different locations on a planet. And have them require constant streaming power, (More than a research station) This would help make it so that someone could not realistically have a planet terraformed within the early game, and it would double as an objective based reason to build multiple bases beyond simply "wanting" to explore more. (Something of which a few people have complained is currently lacking in the game)

The required locations could be marked on a planet when you orbit it in a shuttle, however one problem with I could see with this approach is that while it would incentivize building multiple bases, it would be restrictive as to "where" you build them. I suppose you could simply have two or three be required, and the only requisite is that they are built within any of the circular landing zones you see when orbiting the planet. 

I also have mentioned in a previous post that it would be kinda neat just as an aesthetic, if the terrain began to change in a small diameter around the stations built. You wouldn't want the entire planet to terraform in real time I think, because it would be a little boring to have all of the planets essentially be identical after numerous hours of gameplay, but the implication could be that they "eventually" will, even if you'll never see the end result however long you play. Or I suppose along the vein or your idea of having the atmospheres be unique, the terraformed terrain could be unique as well.

This concept could be incorporated into a story as well. Maybe it is the whole reason for it all, to terraform planets for sustained larger populations to live "in the future" due to your in-game efforts.

terraforming the existing planets would make an excellent endgame pathway for Astroneer. i think it could be just one of several endgame pathways built into the game, each one showcasing different gameplay philosophies. I'd like to see one that would involve the discovery of artifacts from an ancient extra planetary civilization, for example. another could be about building an inter-system communication device, then meeting and dealing with an alien race that might want your resources. I'm not explicitly talking about war, but negotiation, territorial disputes, language barriers, even different biological requirements would factor into it. i think Astroneer would make a superb sandbox for the evolution of multiple story-endgame ideas.

my view on terraforming: it's always kind of bugged me that a planet called 'Terran' doesn't seem to have a breathable atmosphere.... what's up with that? i personally think that the player should start on one of the less 'homelike' worlds such as arid or exotic - somewhere that could feasibly have a poisonous atmosphere. Make all the important legwork be about getting out to 'Terran' where the atmosphere is breathable. the advantages in that would really give you an incentive to get that spacecraft researched and built!

If you rework the 'oxygen; system as 'life support' you could then say it also includes necessary nutrients and liquids. once on Terran, you still need those things but you can live disconnected from your base for much longer, say one day/night cycle. instead of having oxygen 'blobs' just hanging around you could replace them with nutrient 'blobs' (kind of like edible fungus) that the suit can process, extending your independence, but at a much slower rate. don't track it separately, just have the lot together as 'life support'.

in the past I've been very negative towards the whole 'food and water' requirement thing, mostly because it's always been presented as another thing you need to keep track of, separate from air, and that just seemed like too much stat-watching. but if you bundle them together, they make some kind of sense, particularly if were talking seriously about Terraforming, because that inevitably leads us to some kind of agriculture. a 'terran' or earth like planet should sustain agriculture as part of it's design. also, remember crops aren't always about keeping your Astroneer alive, sometimes they can produce raw chemicals for industrial applications, or maybe trade.

and yes, let's 'terraform' other worlds, but that isn't going to mean necessarily that you can breathe properly on them, it might just mean that you've tweaked the atmosphere for less hostile weather, and soil constituents to allow the farming of an alien plant that can be processed into a new resource - personally I'm more inclined to believe that a plant can be turned into raw compounds like malachite or laterite than i am that you can just process dirt to get stuff.

we already get advised 'landing sites' shown up when we enter orbit of a planet - why not also make some or all of these the required 'terraform station' sites? ultimately research and build atmosphere processors from a number of materials. i still favor the idea that some of the components must be scavenged from wrecked spacecraft. add to these researchable components and hey presto! shake-and-bake planet!

just one more example of how the amazing potential of this game is what keeps us coming back - rather than what we have been given by the devs at the moment, i'm afraid.