Sign in to follow this  
Joker007

Improve the Rover movement and control attributes

When driving the Rover, I experience a lot of sideways sliding as if I’m hydroplaning on water or like driving in snow/ice yet there is none of those things on any planet except maybe Tundra.  Please eliminate the low traction conditions because this prevents precise slow driving when next to ledges, cliffs, holes, and narrow passes.  Also, when I stop the Rover and just need to sit still, a parking brake function would be nice when using the crane and drill head on slopes.  I have rolled off right into a hole I just mined out and nearly became trapped due to the rolling due to wind and steep slopes.  Parking brake function would be nice (Xboxone).

I've noticed if I have built a road going up a mountain and I have driven a rover up it and then I get out and go explore a cave or collect a resource....when I get back my rover is 50' off the ground and suddenly it falls back down...often resulting in a bounce causing it to fall all the way down the mountain.  This then launches sometimes hours of extracting the damned thing from whatever it landed on/in

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wyglaff said:

A legitimate Reverse, regardless of the camera direction.  I suspect this is noted elsewhere, sorry if I'm a member of the Redundancy Coop.

I posted this exact thing just yesterday. Glad to see its not just me

Just now, VT_Mongo said:

I posted this exact thing just yesterday. Glad to see its not just me

Great minds and all that eh?

Another idea would be a possible ability to engage bracing struts, if the rover has a crane attached to it. Essentially just outrigger stabilizers, but perhaps an upgrade version that deploys stabilizer spikes that actually plant into the ground, keep the rover from tipping and sliding while your trying to use the drill to build a mining ramp into the depths of the planet. 

I 'm parked in the "Make the mechanics and controls of the game function correctly first and then go after other stuff" frame of thought.  Read through a lot of interesting suggestions on this forum but its hard to think about them when some of the game basics still are not refined. 

Hello! I'm new to the forum (just bought the game on Xbox) and I just happened upon this post.

I absolutely agree that the rover controls could use some work. I think it would be easier to drive the rovers if their controls were more like they are in racing games; I.E. Right trigger, accelerate, left trigger, brake. I also agree with the parking brake idea. That would help in so many situations as I've had problems similar to those mentioned above.

Hello there!
(At the beginning I'd like to apologize, if there're any spelling or grammar mistakes, cause English is my second language)
I'm actually a happy Astroneer player since yesterday, but I've been watching the development of the game for a year or so. I'm new to the game, but still I've experienced a couple of things already, that are quite annoying for me. And one of them is also about the driving. Not about any crashes or bugs or anything, but just a way of controlling the vehicle (and I think it's not just me who has a problem with it). I'm playing on PC.

The steering and speed of the vehicles is quite problematic. Maybe it's me who doesn't get it, I understand there's a simulation of other planet and different gravitation - but is it a reason for creating a vehicle, that when you push W for forward it turns around? I guess it's because the WSAD keys are responsible for steering in the way of the camera - like, my vehicle stands across my screen, it has a driver's seat on the left of my screen, and when I push forward it doesn't go forward for the vehicle, but for the camera - so it's starting to turn around... For me it's super annoying and I get stuck / fall into dungeons because of this. And getting out of the dungeon (which has a liiiittle space to manouvere) with a vehicle that goes around instead of riding forward is damn hard. Also I think the vehicles are too fast, I mean especially the big jeep-thing, it's really big and heavy, so it shouldn't be as fast as the little jeep (sorry for these names, but I don't play the English version so I don't know how they're named in there originally). I think a little correction of the speed and getting normal steering (the vehicle is the origin for the controls, not the view of the camera) would do a huge improvement. And also if there's a steering by WSAD keys, it'd be great to have a mouse / arrow keys camera movement, that is separate from the vehicle / astronaut. :) The lack of the separate camera movement is also super annoying for the character you play, because you can move camera only by hitting E and using terrain tool.

I have noticed this, it would also be nice if you could go into settings and disable camera control of the rover, I want to be able to look around while I'm driving without the fear of going off a cliff or into a hole because of it.