So the Landing Beacon would be a tier 1 item you could carry in your backpack, made out of Titanium (for balance reasons and because hardly anything is currently made out of Titanium). You put it down on the ground just like a regular Beacon, except that it generates a landing zone 'bubble' that would then allow shuttles to land there.

Its use? Say you are driving along in your Rover and you have already got a full load, when you suddenly come across a wreck with some very nice stuff on and ar out it. Instead of having to choose what to bring back to your base you instead place a Landing Beacon within walking distance of the wreck, then when you get back to your base you can climb in your Shuttle, take off and land right near the stuff, which you can then collect and store on the Shuttle. Other uses could be that it's used in multiplayer, in case one player gets stranded far from their vehicle. They can just place a Landing Beacon and their buddy can then come pick them up.

I was thinking of something similar such as autopiloting a shuttle back to base. It was mentioned on my idea that this would take away from survival elements. I just think it helps remove a frustrating part of the game where your items are lost away from base and someone doesn't want to build a rover just to try and retrieve the lost one.

I lost a few hours in a game once because I had just stepped out of a rover on Arid when a tumbleweed hit me. It was a pain. I made a medium rover, had to search all over and finally found my body and old rover, connected the smaller rover the the larger, and then drove back to base. It was frustrating. Made me put down the game for a bit.

1 hour ago, Ghostwolf93 said:

So the Landing Beacon...

You put it down on the ground just like a regular Beacon, except that it generates a landing zone 'bubble' that would then allow shuttles to land there.

Hmmm, why does that sound like such a good idea?  Oh yeah, now I remember...

xD

Landing Pad would be good indeed.

In this case what we both are wanting in this suggestion is more of a temporary landing zone creation.

10 hours ago, Pi_ said:

Hmmm, why does that sound like such a good idea?  Oh yeah, now I remember...

xD

Ah, I see what happened here. I always do a search before posting an idea, in case someone else has suggested the same before. I see why this didn't show up in the results: I searched for the phrase 'Landing Beacon', which you never used. Didn't occur to me that someone would use a different name, like LZ Beacon. Haven't been following the suggestions Fourm in depth for a while, just skimming it now and then. Must have missed your posting. Whoops! ?. 

I have read your suggestion and would like to just state that it is a little different to what I was suggesting. You where suggesting the Beacon comes with the Shuttle and can only be used by that one Shuttle, where as I was describing something that is researched and built separately, and can be used by any Shuttle (ps. I'm using the word Shuttle to refer to all spacecraft, FYI).

Either idea has merit, though I do have a question regarding the LZ Beacon you describe: how would you be able to tell from looking at the actual beacons which Beacon belongs to which Shuttle? I can just imagine driving out to a wreck and planting a Beacon, going back to my Shuttle only to discover when I am in orbit that it's my mate's Beacon I planted!?. Would there be some why to VISUALLY link Beacon to Shuttle?

10 hours ago, FluxCap said:

Landing Pad would be good indeed.

In this case what we both are wanting in this suggestion is more of a temporary landing zone creation.

Exactly! Emphasis on 'temporary'. Landing Pads have been suggested before (including by myself), though this would be something you could just use wherever you are to land a Shuttle and then pick it up. Hmmm, just made me realise another use for this. If you've built a Shuttle and then want to build a Large Shuttle you could use this to move the first Shuttle somewhere which doesn't occupy a Vehicle Bay/Landing Pad, pick up the Beacon and walk back to base!