FranchiThePingu

Render Distance

Please make this happen. For experimental purposes. I want to see how much my gpu can handle :D

Maybe just put a note next to the setting, which warns users about the possible performance issues when increasing the render distance too much.

Also, shouldn't there be a way of messing with the game files to achieve that? Or is that against the TOS?

This is something I would like, as well.

If I recall correctly, at some point in early development, the render distance was dialed back to allow less powerful machines to run the game with fewer problems. Am I recalling correctly?

Anyway, I don't have a super computer, but I am fortunately enough to have acquired a GTX1080Ti, along with a rather nice CPU, which should provide plenty of horsepower for rendering purposes.

Please, would you consider putting in a variable render distance (I believe Minecraft has it, perhaps called draw distance), it would be quite nice.

ThanksQ

The render distance is just terrible at the moment and have ended up in holes with my rover due to the actual hole rendering too late.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:25 AM, Tako said:

The render distance is just terrible at the moment and have ended up in holes with my rover due to the actual hole rendering too late.

I deleted a save file when my train fell into a hole, 20 minutes after trying to get back out, …. forget it

faster to start a new game. so dumb

I play on Xbox One (now an Xbox One X, although currently it’s hooked up to my receiver, not directly to my 4K TV) and while I’m well aware consoles aren’t generally capable of high-spec performance the way many gaming PCs are (even high end general PCs) I’m often plagued by very severe delays in rendering. Ever since the lighting update (that made HDR possible, etc) it’s been significantly worse (I don’t know much, well anything really about coding and game development, but I’m guessing that’s down to more workload on the CPU and graphics processing stuff). I can no longer sprint at all on the lower levels of caves. If I try, I’ll end up running into the middle of a Spiker patch which won’t render in until I’m on top of them, whereby I’m needled to death instantly. It’s happened numerous times across several save instances, all of which have been new saves made after each of the various updates that have been released since then (including the recent update that brought “performance upgrades” to Xbox One). While I’m not expecting any menu options like y’all are speaking of, not for console, I thought I’d add there are still some serious rendering issues that exist in the game. Clearly there’s still a long ways to go in terms of performance optimization before 1.0 launches. I know some large updates are still to come, at the very least we’re expecting Terrain 2.0 (like many others, I am very excited about this). All we can do is patiently wait at this point, but it is very frustrating though. Some of my 0.8 save games have terrible FPS dips, and I’m talking the likes of which I haven’t seen since I started playing Astroneer back in January 2017 when the game was  Patch 118 O.o  

Pretty sure it was 118. 118 or 119, but I think it was 118. Still loving the game.

A variable render distance would be great. Also if planets would render based on your position in space rather than the location of your vehicles that would be cool because then you could get to another planet in a rover with thrusters, because as you neared it, it would load instead of just being a hologram you can pass through.

On 6/10/2018 at 9:15 AM, sTiVo said:

This is something I would like, as well.

If I recall correctly, at some point in early development, the render distance was dialed back to allow less powerful machines to run the game with fewer problems. Am I recalling correctly?

Anyway, I don't have a super computer, but I am fortunately enough to have acquired a GTX1080Ti, along with a rather nice CPU, which should provide plenty of horsepower for rendering purposes.

Please, would you consider putting in a variable render distance (I believe Minecraft has it, perhaps called draw distance), it would be quite nice.

ThanksQ

"I dont have a supercomputer, but i have the highest end consumer GPU meant for gaming" lolwut, but yeah i slider would be REALLY nice