RugbyHunter

resource compactor

I did a search and only found one comment on this one so wanted to put it out there.

Resource Compactor:

Takes raw resources and compacts them into a single item but with larger quantities.

Basically it is a base platform that can take up to 8 resources (only of one kind at any one time allowed) kind of like a reverse mineral extractor that returns a single compacted object with 8x (if 8 materials were used) of capacity.  This would be great for storage, using on a generator because it would last far longer.  a block can be added to using more of the same resource in the compactor.

I am thinking could have a small one that can only compact max 2x (same kind) that can be used on a backpack, a medium one that can be attached to a rover with a max of 4x, And the base platform that can get up to 8x.  An example could be if you have a 4x stack (made from a rover) you cannot add any more to it on the backpack until it gets below 2x.  Then it will max out at 2x using the backpack.  The base could take that 4x stack and add 8x to it.  If you have 3.5x stack you could used half of a resource stack to bring it back up to full capacity of 4x on a rover.  Power would be a constraint especially away from base on a rover if you dont have a generator.  I am thinking simply 2 power blocks per resource compacted (round up if partial used).  so a backpack would use up to 4 power slots, rover would use up to 2 tall power slots,  base would take 4 tall power slots.  Can be changed possibly so the backpack uses less and it gets exponentially bigger. (4 backpack, 16(4 bars) rover, 64 (16 bars) base).  Only power need to compact is used like a backpack (not like a base where it uses all power when run).  A base doing only 2x would use only 4 power slots.

This would only work for raw resources (compound, resin, coal, organic, oxygen, power, laterite, malachite, ammonium, astronium, hematite).  Anything else that is smelted or made cannot be compacted.

For generators you can now put 2x, or 4x or 8x on them and not worry so much about them later game because they will last far longer.  For storage it makes it really easy to store.  If doing exponential then you will have to consider to use more power now and need less slots or less power but more slots.  Great for moving to a new planet also.

This will change loadings expecially base building where you have to put 2 in 2 slots because now you could put an 8x block and just use 2 blocks from it.  This might not matter in the new base building style.

Basically, that's would be similar to Minecraft where you can combine, say, 9 coals into a single block.

Getting off-topic here, apologies...

It has been a while since I played MC but won't a block of coal burn 9 times as long as a regular piece of coal? If so, a compactor to make MC-style blocks would answer your wish for extra potency under a smaller volume.

By improving carrying capacity you allow more exploration as there are less tedious trips back to base to drop off the resources you've found.

By improving base storage capacity, if you use some form of vending machine or silo, you temporarily remove the resource nuggets from the gaming world.  If the game no longer has to remember the location of all these little nuggets then performance should improve.

These are some of the reasons why I want improved storage solutions!

6 hours ago, FranekDolas_eu said:

I do not agree. Quickly collected raw materials cause faster development of the base. After exploring everything, exploration is less interesting.

Its not that bad to slightly increase the storage or allow resources to be compacted a little, as long as its not like a whole 64 stack in minecraft, but a more "pure" and "dense" resource, at most 4 times more efficient. A resource compactor/refiner would probably take a lot of mechanical energy IRL, so the resources shouldn't be able to be compacted until they are brought back to said base and put through a platform meant for this action. This would make underground mining more interesting, as a player could then just set up a base that's already underground. Then the only thing left would be how to get enough power to the base. 

basically, the resource compactor can be a type of base model, like the mineral extractor is. like all of the other models, it would have to be researched.

Quickly collecting raw materials does cause the base to be developed faster, but this wouldnt exactly speed up the process. It would just make it  more organized, and save storage.

Edited by DarkPhosphorus

9 hours ago, FranekDolas_eu said:

Why most want to increase storage capacity, compact materials, etc? This shortens the time of exploration. In my opinion, this is not good for the game.

Yeah, doesnt really shorten the time of exporation, but opens up more time to explore, all while keeping the base more organized. I dont see why you would want to make the tedious parts of the game the part that takes the most time.

I actually have in my description how it would work which I like the exponential increase.

The higher the compacting the more energy it takes.  A power bar is 4 power blocks.  A bar is what you see on a building or rover.  16 bars is the same as a large rover full capacity.  Medium rover only has 8 on a single rover so to do a full 4x you would need 2 rovers or some batterys.  each of these is its own researchable tech.

• Backpack module (single slot): 2x max, 4 power
  • Rover module (double slot): 4x, 16 power
  • Base module (platform): 10x, 64 (16 bars) power

Only power needed to compact is used like a backpack (not like a base where it uses all power when run).  A base doing only 2x would use only 4 power slots.

this is what is being compacted and how much power to reach that.

• 2x = +4
  • 3x = +6
  • 4x = +8
  • 5x = +10
  • 6x = +12
  • 7x = +14
  • 8x = +16
  • 9x = +18
  • 10x = +20

ex1/ If you have 4 resources of one type and want to combine them it would take (0+4+6+8 = 18) 18 power blocks which is 4.5 bars so a quarter of your rover power.

ex2/ If you have a block already combined at 3x and want to combine 2 more resources at a base it would take (8 + 10 = 18) also 18 power blocks for a 5x give out.

ex3/ Base clean up cominbinging 9 of the same resources would take (0+4+6+8+10+12+14+16+18 = 88) 88 power or 22 bars which is a lot of power.  But if that is organics you can now have a generator run 9x has long without having to watch it.  At some point it costs more power to make the stack than it would generate on a generator.

I would like the game to require more effort to develop the base, not like it is now. Just build a few research modules, wind turbines and solar panels and after a few hours you have everything examined.  Larger storage are very much needed  but not more capacity on vehicles.

Well, this could be one way of requiring "more" resources for printing later game modules, without having to require a different printer, or add more resource input slots to existing printers I suppose.