Sign in to follow this  
Meeborg_GP

Energy supply for Rover via tether.

The Rover should be able to get energy supply via tethers like the Astroneer.

Since the Rover uses the same energy as the Astroneer this would be consistent.

Powered by the tether-lines also makes the Rover work like a trolley car along those tether lines with a limited reserve from its batteries.

Wind turbines don't work in caves. I feel as though as long as you have ample power supply and enough power producing modules to send power over long distances there is absolutely no reason for tethers not to power rovers. I think you should need say a power bank dedicated to just that tether line for rovers. Like you build 4 solar panels and 4 wind turbines ( all larger versions) and say 4 or 5 larger batteries just for that one tether series. And you would need to do this for each separate tether series you make. Like 1 for this cave and 1 for that other cave way over there. This would give the wanted effect and still have some balance to it. And of you go say 3 sets of tethers distance away you need to build more batteries acting as capacitors or transformers to get the power from the surface down to where you are. In theory an actually current opposed to infinite travel of power. 

Well, whether they're intended to or not by the devs, wind turbines actually do work in caves. Give it a try and see for yourself.

If you don't like using this mechanism because it doesn't make logical sense to you, then the other option, with some amount of tedious work involved of course, is to have a small generator and a few organic handy whenever exploring caves. 2 to 3 organic and a small generator would be plenty for most people's excursions I would think, but if not, simply take some more organic.

A lot of people don't like collecting organic because it roughens the terrain, but once you have an inhibitor mod, you quickly and neatly have just about as much organic as you could ever want.

In regard to having tethers power rovers, I'm not against it, I just wouldn't really benefit from it personally cause I'm not gonna get out and tether everywhere I explore. I view rovers as basically the replacement for having to tether over a long distances when exploring. I still keep a few tethers handy so I can explore on foot around a parked rover, but I usually gather them all up when done and continue on my way in the rover.

I suppose everyone has a slightly different play style though. Don't care if this ends up being a thing either way I guess. :)

In regard to having rovers travel along tethers like a trolly, not a bad idea. But, only useful in multiplayer games, or after other automation mechanics are implemented.

In a single player game, the ability to send resources back to base, without someone, or "something" (automation) on location to smelt, store, trade, etc. it doesn't do much good really. I still won't be able to use the resources until I personally get back to base anyhow. But yeah, it could be kinda handy in multiplayer situations I guess.

I have yet to have my wind turbines turn on in caves. And I do bring a generator and a cpl organic for when I run out of power. Maybe mine don't turn on due to the wind only being in very small laser like patterns. Not sure but I've never had them come on inside a cave so I just stopped carrying them all together and in place I use medium batteries and a generator with organic with a solar panel for the initial chargeing  of batteries. 

12 minutes ago, Gravy said:

Maybe mine don't turn on due to the wind only being in very small laser like patterns. Not sure but I've never had them come on inside a cave so I just stopped carrying them all together

I usually place two small wind turbines on each rover in my train. (total of 8 fairly spread out) Usually at least two spin quite often. Wind either randomly generates in an particular sized area, and statically exists for a short time in that location, or pockets of it "flow" in some sort of pattern, either random or predetermined, around Terran (caves not excluded).

I haven't quite figured it out yet, but it's all about the turbines being in the right place at the right time. Spread them out as much as possible and at least a few will spin the majority of the time. You just won't have them all spin all the time.

But, yeah, I usually have a medium battery or two, 8 small turbines, and a generator with 2 organic just in case. (I hardly ever use them though...) It limits my storage space a bit, but I guess it doesn't bother me personally. 

Since I reached the core of Terran I can say no, wind turbines do not work in Caves in general. They only work till you reach a certain depth

Definitely think that rovers should charge from tethers.
Until then, carrying small batteries around is what I'll have to do.