Husebad

Vehicle Ideas I guess

A legged spider thing the size of a medium rover that allows you to climb mountains and crawl on the ceiling of caves to get out easier.

That is actually a pretty damn good idea! Sort of a vehicle that sacrifices speed for better mobility.

Never actually brought a vehicle with me underground before, but with this it would actually be practical.

Maybe there could also be a large variant for exploring very tricky surfaces like Arid and Tundra?

Although I suppose it would be rather tricky to link these things together in trains.

How about an automated or not tracked train thing bring into caves then tell it to go back to base and offload stuff then come back.

A small cargo drone perhaps? Able to carry maybe 4 items back to base along the tether line. Would require a remote control unit attached to one of the mounts on the backback, effectively limiting the number of drones to 2 max. Travel time would be determined by the length of the tether line it has to follow - so once out of sight, the processing power for this should be minor. Deployment would also require a base docking module with 4 slots, which need to be empty for unloading/return to player - limiting the possible use to 2 runs max per drone before having to manually unload the docking module at the base.

These are all great ideas but I must say my part hater/part supporter comment on spider rover

while i think it would be cool and use full to have spider legs its not really realistic and it seems kinda goofy 

here’s my way to solve getting stuck in cave problem (i haven’t tied this before but I’m working on it) attach a winch to the ground out side and just retract when your stuck (don’t quote me on this)

maybe you should have to make multiple parts when constructing the rockets, such as landing gear, thrusters, fuel tank and much more 

Also i think the rockets should have a remodel because i think the medium rockets look a little unrealistic 

-large rocket would be cool

-modifications for rockets as well such as better fuel tank,bigger travel distance etc.

I don't think a spider rover is necessary. I was able to go on expeditions with my normal rover in the caves. You just need enough power and a nice ramp to get out. The wide mod makes great bridges and ramps. 

here's an idea for a vehicle: one that doesn't upend itself every few seconds, that doesn't run aground on a bit of low rock, one that can manage a trailer without becoming absurdly unstable, one that travels in the direction you point it in unfailingly, one that doesn't float away with it's cargo, one that doesn't slide down gentle slopes once parked, one that doesn't run out of power without any warning at the least opportune moment.

here's a crazy idea: since a lot of the issues with the vehicles in astroneer are to do with it's center of gravity (too low and you stick like glue but cant move fast; too high and you're constantly inverting the damn thing), how about a gearbox? just make it a center of gravity adjuster, and you get a speed/stability trade off almost right away. would make it more effective on low-gravity worlds, too.