AstroBubba

Mineral Extractor far too OP?

Recommended Posts

Posted this on the Reddit sub too...

 

New player here, and after monkeying around with the Mineral Extractor, it seems to be far too OP. It makes the need to explore and search for rare (or even common) materials moot.  In the Minecraft paradigm, it would be like finding one diamond, and then magically make more with dirt!

The search & discover process is one of the core (and rewarding) parts of the gameplay, and if you remove that, there's precious little left, other than repetitive base-building. 

There are already Reddit posts about how, with the right material choices, you can fly off to another planet and have a comprehensive base up & running in 20 minutes!  Sure, if the game was a "base-building race" that would be great, but I really don't think that's the devs. intent here!

 

Yes, you can currently ignore the Mineral Extractor and pretend it doesn't exist, but it does potentially serve a purpose, it just needs to be balanced to make it a last-ditch option for creating new rare materials.

Maybe something like it only lasts a few uses when making rare materials, or it's a massive power hog, or maybe you need to use progressively more valuable materials to create more rare ones (as long as it does not get into an endless rinse & repeat cycle of standing in front of the Extractor to make one Lithium)

 

Dunno, all I know is that it's pretty game-breaking at the moment...

Edited by AstroBubba
Clarifications

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is already a thread on the subject in the "Suggestion and Idea" section. Probably the best place to continue the conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2018 at 9:49 AM, AstroBubba said:

Posted this on the Reddit sub too...

 

New player here, and after monkeying around with the Mineral Extractor, it seems to be far too OP. It makes the need to explore and search for rare (or even common) materials moot.  In the Minecraft paradigm, it would be like finding one diamond, and then magically make more with dirt!

The search & discover process is one of the core (and rewarding) parts of the gameplay, and if you remove that, there's precious little left, other than repetitive base-building. 

There are already Reddit posts about how, with the right material choices, you can fly off to another planet and have a comprehensive base up & running in 20 minutes!  Sure, if the game was a "base-building race" that would be great, but I really don't think that's the devs. intent here!

 

Yes, you can currently ignore the Mineral Extractor and pretend it doesn't exist, but it does potentially serve a purpose, it just needs to be balanced to make it a last-ditch option for creating new rare materials.

Maybe something like it only lasts a few uses when making rare materials, or it's a massive power hog, or maybe you need to use progressively more valuable materials to create more rare ones (as long as it does not get into an endless rinse & repeat cycle of standing in front of the Extractor to make one Lithium)

 

Dunno, all I know is that it's pretty game-breaking at the moment...

What do you mean when you use the term “OP”

Edited by rileya_c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know a spoon could be considered overpowered.. so use your fingers.  If you are finding the game too easy using the mineral extractor.. then don't build it.  omg.. problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2018 at 5:42 AM, Martin said:

You know a spoon could be considered overpowered.. so use your fingers.  If you are finding the game too easy using the mineral extractor.. then don't build it.  omg.. problem solved.

Thank you for clarifying what “OP” means as in overpowered 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know all it takes to make a Diamond is Carbon Heat and Pressure..... and the man made ones are far higher quality than nature.....

If you want to balance the game to be harder... just dig a hole and for every canister of dirt you put in the extractor just dump one two or three in the hole and cover it with dirt. BOOM! Fixed

The only thing preventing a player from exploring is his play style, nothing else.  We impose all kinds of rules in our game play to create fresh and new play and find that very entertaining... as of today I have 1500 hours in the game and we constantly figuring new ways to make it fun..... I don't even mind throwing away saves as the game advances from patch to patch.

I really think you just need to create some limits on your play style and have fun.   In one patch I left terrain as early as possible with only enough materials as my back pack held and built a huge base on Exotic with only materials I could get from research found in trees.... That was an awesome play threw and will never be forgotten.... truly a masochistic event.   Another brutal game was to only use materials obtained from Resin and Compound trades using the Trade Platform or found in Space Wrecks.... that was Brutal... and a Blast.

Don't sell your creativity short in Game Play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After over 40hrs of playing, I never knew the Mineral Extractor could produce things other than compounds until visiting these forums! It asked for a compound sample so I put one in and never thought about trying to replace it with something else, lol. I was just fine with it producing only compounds and having the Trading Post for getting rare things when I needed. But that's just me *shrug*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/01/2018 at 6:34 PM, rileya_c said:

Thank you for clarifying what “OP” means as in overpowered 

Usually if someone refers to the OP they're referring to the "Original Post" if they refer to a thing being too "OP" then they're referring to a thing being too overpowered.  So really it depends on what the reference is to, not clarification of what OP means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now