SES_joe

"Patch 0.5.1" - January 18th, 2018

On 5.2.2018 at 8:20 PM, Nargg said:

And, I also agree 110% on the lighting issue.  I can understand darkness, but lights should have a lot more positive effect.  I liked the old light amounts before they changed it.  Now the game is gloomy and not nearly as fun to uncover and improve the planet.  The player should be able to light underground rooms extremely well.  Not the $1.00 flashlight lighting we get now.

I have to agree. The darkness is surely more realistic and correct but for this type of game it doesn't work imho, it doesn't look as nice and appealing anymore. I preferred the previous setting. At night it looks unpleasant with the gloomy setting. And the day light looks washed out at certain times.

Edited by mikk

Nice update. Looks great (after altering brightness) and runs MUCH smoother on my biggest saved base.

Keep up the great work.

Whenever the update does hit, I sure hope there is something in there that works on the brightness/darkness issue. I love this game, play it to pieces, but fed up constantly turning in-game brightness up & down every single "sol"rise and "sol"set or every time I go inside or come out of a cave. That's just beyond reason! I do use tethers, worklights, but what I've found is, when in a cave and using a worklight or even two, is the area beyond my worklights is still incredibly dim (I'm almost always exploring off-tether, at least I do as soon as I have unlocked Filters which is usually one of my first unlocks, and I get tanks off dead explorerers quickly if possible as well, combined they greatly increase my exploratory range early on without need of tethers or vehicles). Anyway, the worklight creates an almost blinding halo of light under and around my Astroneer when I'm down in the "putty green" Spiker levels (which is where I spend majority of my early cave time looking for explorer packs and other useful items like satellite crash research) I mean it really is so intense it hurts my eyes and casts so much glare I have to turn down the game brightness but then the rest of the cave beyond that very small circle cast by the worklight is just so dim it's hard to make out things. Another issue, I guess unrelated, is the extremely delayed render of objects in these low levels of caves. I can no longer sprint much at all down there, even on a completely new game. The game cannot keep up, and I'll run into a group of Spikers (or come very close to it) by the time the game decides to render them in. This only started happening this last update when all the visual changes were made. I think it may be related to the excess ground clutter I'm seeing in caves (I mention this in another post, anothe thread, in another section, in response to someone else's post about how they also believe there's just too much "junk" in caves). I have to agree.

As to what exactly is this junk? Too much ground "clutter" (rocks & rubble largely, the stalagmite clusters seem to be about the same at Spiker level however they do appear overgrown & too populous on higher levels of the caves where the cave "organic-like" material clutter is also much more "overgrown" than it used to be, leading to many areas of cave systems where I can't even see the cave floor anymore and between ore crystals & clutter I can barely maneuver my Astroneer around unless I have an Inhibitor equipped, yet another reason I think the Inhibitor should be an automatic unlock). Other junk includes way more space marbles, thrusters, and dynamite (both isolated spawns sitting on bare cave floor and inside Hubble wrecks) than I've ever seen exist in the game, and certainly more than any person could ever manage to use or need. I think the procedural generation might need adjusting, idk anything about those things but there's something wacky going on and it looks terrible, not to mention I suspect it's impeding the rendering process making it very slow as well as hindering Astroneer's ability to maneuver. I'm quite adept at jumping and such getting away from acid-spewing Pumpkins and avoiding getting spiked, but it's getting ridiculous! There's way too many Pumkins as well, they seem to have undergone a population explosion! This can't all be coincidence.

As others have mentioned, with implementation of the new lighting and graphics, the days are extremely washed out. There's just no contrast at all. I can barely make out beacons, and especially home base is difficult to discern from cloud cover (the stalk being the only thing that's sort of discernible). Maybe consider a drop-shadow or some sort of darker-toned outline effect for the beacons; white is not an effective outline color for the beacons when you background is mostly white cloud cover if you think about it? :/ Take the same beacon and give it a black or navy outline, it's much more visible. I don't think we necessarily need something that harsh but you get the idea. And PLEASE consider my idea of replacing existing death marker system with the beacon system (it would still be a "death beacon" but it would operate using the beacon code, meaning it would persist though leaving the game via saves, and still be there when you returned so if you had to leave your game you could still have a chance of retrieving your items when you came back). There are so many advantages, I really can't imagine why this hasn't been implemented but perhaps there are reasons. Here are more advantages: you can have multiple death beacons active at once (can't count how many time I've died trying to reach my items, and been so frustrated because I wasn't carrying anything essential the 2nd-nth time I died, but of course the game only saved the last location, a useless-to-me location, when what I really needed to know about was that now-lost first death location, because the death marking system that exists now is probably what was designed as prototype for the game and hasn't been updated since, my best guess). Once a pack has been opened/retrieved, simply have the beacon deactivate (as opposed to us collecting it). Also, the current beacons allow us to go right up to their location, and are visible from much further and can even be seen to some extent underground (I know, I use them often to mark staches of good resources collected & grouped together from backpacks in caves quite frequently). Right now the death mark is of poor range, very misleading as to the exact location, and it completely disappears from your view as you draw even remotely near it! How this as considered a good "solution" for recovery, is kinda beyond me tbh :P  So yes, at some point in the near future, because I know it won't make it into this coming update, please PLEASE consider revamping the death mark system. I'm sure it would make a lot of players happy, even if they don't really talk much about it. You've already done most of the work on the existing beacon upgrades, so I'm hoping it won't be too much work to use that coding to improve the death mark system drastically. Adding a contrasting outline to the beacon icon would be icing on the cake, ok maybe not that extreme, beacons can still be difficult to see in bright daylight especially on the horizon, more so if clouds are obscuring them, but I think this might help. Beacons are also suffering color washout and color variation, and this has worsened with the update and excessive brightness. In darkness, there is better contrast, but overall things are just too dim, and increasing game brightness is the worst possible recommendation because day is already overbright and washed out, so yuh can see the frustration I'm having always dialing up & down with time of day or moving into or out of caves. Just really not a sustainable pattern. And please don't call the system's star "Sol" lol. I appreciate the similarities to "The Martian" I enjoyed the movie very much myself and have felt the similarities as well, but Sol? Pass. Same with "Bytes" Y'all are way more creative than that. I know you can come up with a better, novel name for your currency than Bytes, and same for Sol. Maybe have an in-office naming contest? Still waiting patiently on space snail & other space pets to make an appearance in game ;)xD But for the love of all things sacred, please turn on the gosh darned lights!!! I can't see in the caves, or at night! Give us a daytime built in visor or turn down daytime brightness it's ruining all those gorgeous colors your artists have labored so hard to create for our enjoyment. At the very least, think of us older gamers. Be kind, you'll be there one day I say!!!! :D 

1 hour ago, Shadow Echo said:

Same with "Bytes" Y'all are way more creative than that. I know you can come up with a better, novel name for your currency than Bytes, and same for Sol. Maybe have an in-office naming contest?

I doubt the devs pay much attention to the forum. But bytes already have been renamed by players to bytecoin, or bitcoin, or bytcoin. The devs wont read this either but that is what we can continue to call it in our heads or, by modding the game.

Edited by Moonminer008

16 minutes ago, Nargg said:

I think it's too bad Systemera doesn't support mods....  

Mods are planned after the game is finished!

Roadmap

Actually, I know that "somehow" the Devs get info & feedback from this forum,  otherwise there wouldn't be any point in them having the forum at all. This is "their" forum after all, not a fan forum. Do I think they read every single word of every single post? Nah, and I wouldn't expect them to either. But I think they pay attention, on some level anyway, though I haven't a clue by what means (as in who reads what, how many read it, do some of the Devs read the forum directly or do they hire people to collate data & info from the forum, yeah idk).

As to mods, that's a lot like achievements. As another mentioned above, not practical to put those into place or have people developing them until after the game is ready for full, final release. No one knows exactly when that'll be. Alpha just started back in December. There's the road map, sure, but nothing is set in stone. 

Shadow, 

I'm beginning to think they really don't want the game to grow to a full fledge release. When you are being entirely to secretative at an alpha release,  it entangles the message you are trying to deliver to the entire alpha group.  I think they need to remember support communities grow under great transparent organizations.  Valid point sir.  Just hope they are not developing for a sub culture, but for a broader support community. 

Ken

Edited by Kenneth Upchurch

11 minutes ago, Андарсен said:

this month will be an update or in March to wait?

The new patch is working through the system. Should be released this week!