SES_joe

"Patch 0.5.1" - January 18th, 2018

2 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

The posting time of a thread doesn't matter. We can make posts at any time, keep them hidden and edit them later.

You as well as every1 else can see, that the time is confusing here.... Or are you saying that this update came out almost a year ago? (it is 2018...)

Also the starting date of this thread is wrong, it suggests it was created on the 9th, so tomorrow would be the 10th....

But if you can edit it all, DO IT then :D & please fix it, to avoid confusion.

Edited by DReaMoR

53 minutes ago, LittleBIGman said:

Xbox one X, no issues saving or loading previous saves.

Love the new colourful bytes screen

I have encountered 2 potential bugs.

1. I built a large rover on my moon base vehicle bay, left the planet and went back to Terran. When I came back to my barren base the large rover had disappeared from the vehicle bay. 

2. Also when I look up into the sky from barren I can see a ghost of my lander floating in space. Even though my large lander has landed correctly.

40BADA73-E366-4342-97EE-5AF83BC5240C.jpeg

10 minutes ago, LittleBIGman said:

I have encountered 2 potential bugs.

1. I built a large rover on my moon base vehicle bay, left the planet and went back to Terran. When I came back to my barren base the large rover had disappeared from the vehicle bay. 

2. Also when I look up into the sky from barren I can see a ghost of my lander floating in space. Even though my large lander has landed correctly.

40BADA73-E366-4342-97EE-5AF83BC5240C.jpeg

That's always been a bug tho.

I'm usually a stickler for detail, but tbh I just look at the Patch number/version and click on the most recent Patch Notes in this section without really paying any attention to date or time of original posting. I only pay attention to subsequent replies people make in the thread. My reasoning is, the most recent Patch Notes listing in that section should be posted right around the time a patch or update goes live, so I guess I don't really see need to split hairs about it. However I do agree, for a few reasons such as historical purposes (i.e. when someone decides to look back at these notes and other items to get a sense of how the game progressed through development, just to give an example) it would be nice if things were corrected at some point to be accurate so there won't be any confusion or misleading data down the line. That's really all I have to say about that. I'm sure it does save some time for the Devs to have posts written ahead of time and queued up for eventual release onto this forum particular whenthere are announcements, news, patch notes, etc.

As I mentioned so far I've noticed a lot of visual FX and graphical upgrades, including some nice restyling of the art which looks amazing (huge kudos there). I also wanted to give a huge shout of thanks to the team for finally making it possible to look out from a cave (while still inside the mouth of its entrance) and actually SEE the skies and weather beyond!!! That's so AMAZING as well! Before all I could see was a nondescpt grayish "blob" that told me nothing about the state of the world above/outside. Could be a raging storm (although usually I'd have some idea about that because the storms), dead of night, full sun, or anywhere inbetween. Now I can see quite clearly what it looks like gazing upwards and outwards from the cave tunnel that exits out onto the surface, and that's wonderful! A great improvement and monumental change in the game! So thanks again for this, I love having this in the game it's a nice QOL addition to be sure! I hope in a future update that will be coming soon, the Devs will fix storms penetrating into caves because on Xbox One in particular they slow performance quite severely!  Its very frustrating having storms limit visibility in caves and also blow things around that you've collected making it difficult to find them again. It makes no sense they would penetrate anything more than the most superficial tunnels at most. When you're deep in cave systems, there should be wind (we've long known caves "breathe" it's not exactly wind iirc from what I've read and specials I've watched about them iirc it's more a situation where wind flow is created by differentials in air pressure between segments of large cave systems). I think it's safe to say the cave systems we explore are quite massive, at least the ones I've seen are quite big. I know I've walked for over an hour below ground and when I finally surface I'm lost, can no longer see any trace of my home base or tethers or even any of my beacon system I had laid out. With no more plinths for oxygen, this can be truly catastrophic /: This is why the filter can be an invaluable item (or a chair, lol) to bide time to help me find my way back home (I usually manage to do so, IRL I don't think I have a great sense of direction but in Astroneer I seem to have an uncanny sense, it's interesting, perhaps I've played so much I have learned how to use different things in the game world to navigate often without being consciously aware I'm doing so, but idk maybe it's just luck :P

Ive been meaning to write this as a suggestion for a very long time and I've reached my wits end and have to write this now. The death mark system is woefully inadequate. Please change it with the next update cycle. I don't want to make this post any longer but I'll write again later about the details as I've saved the recommendations in a journal I keep when I don't have time to get everything posted here. The reason I don't want to post in Suggestions? Stuff gets lost and buried there. And most has to do with changing game systems, adding things, not refining them and that's what I'm about, refining the death locator system rather than introducing something totally new. I'll go ahead and say in a nutshell I propose using the existing beacon system instead, because it offers many wonderful advantages over the death mark system (which isn't well-suited tbh, it disappears on you as approach the death location, it is wiped away as soon as you die again which happens a lot because once you lose your supplies your rate of repeat mortality at least the observed rate I personally see, is astronomically higher following that first death no matter what you choose to do, whether it's attempt retrieval or continue setting up or completing your base, etc, plus many other variables involved such as dying in a cave at distance you may not see a marker at all which isn't helpful getting your things back). The existing beacon system offers many advantages: better visibility with higher "stalk" along with persistence though other deaths and saves/exits/reloads, wouldn't "sink" into the ground as you approached you'd be able to track the beacon all the way up to its location, and some other benefits. I'll go over how it could be made to differ from standard existing beacons including some special restrictions so it wouldn't be collectible and reusable. More on than later. But please consider it, as the current system is awful and not helpful unless you die basically within sight of your base, which the it becomes arguable whether a beacon is necessary for much of anything (it is helpful, but those retrievals aren't the most difficult ones where the existing beacon system would significantly improve success and satisfaction overall).

What is the difference of the Astroneers we can pick why so many? If there is no diff. And TBH  Dev team should put patch notes up before the patch happens because what got fixed if anything? Now people have no information to compare what is in game. Kinda ass backwards infact I think this is a first that I have seen.

2 hours ago, nathan cooke said:

When can we expect the patch notes?

Yeah never seen this before.

On 9.1.2018 at 3:49 AM, SES_joe said:

If you are viewing this page, its because the build has been published on Xbox early! Full patch notes will be published soon. As for Steam users, this patch will go live tomorrow!

So what if anything even got fixed?

Please make base structures build Geometrically K thanks.Oh and delete tool would be nice too.

Edited by Wyvyrias
Stop making so many multi-posts | Merged

1 hour ago, Noobilicious said:

What is the difference of the Astroneers we can pick why so many? If there is no diff. And TBH  Dev team should put patch notes up before the patch happens because what got fixed if anything? Now people have no information to compare what is in game. Kinda ass backwards infact I think this is a first that I have seen.

Primarily the difference is just cosmetic, ingame there's different emotes for each astroneer.

2 hours ago, Noobilicious said:

And TBH  Dev team should put patch notes up before the patch happens because what got fixed if anything? Now people have no information to compare what is in game. Kinda ass backwards infact I think this is a first that I have seen.

Shit happens.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The patch wasn't intended to go live yet. Doesn't seem to be easy to control MS's platform.

Not that it's really relevant to have a detailed list of changes anyway. At least that gives something more to explore.

Edit: Oh well, the notes are up now. Jinxed it.

Edited by Wyvyrias

On 1/8/2018 at 8:49 PM, SES_joe said:

If you are viewing this page, its because the build has been published on Xbox early! Full patch notes will be published soon.

So where is the Steam patch????Its 7pm CST here and nothing yet. Any details about the time this is released?

23 hours ago, Steve H said:

Yep, I'm on 0.5.1.0, and I can't save anymore. Always goes back to the same save game, even after I've saved several times in game, and exited. Save file is 19.8 MB. Originally it said reserved space of 256 MB. Playing on XBOX One, gamertag ARTEMUS7. If I have to delete and start over, I will. Still checking to see if I can get it to save a game. FYI, I deleted my other new game save, so now I just have this one game saved.

ASTRONEER (Game Preview).png

Have you switched to a new save because you may have to

5 hours ago, Noobilicious said:

Yeah never seen this before.

So what if anything even got fixed?

Please make base structures build Geometrically K thanks.Oh and delete tool would be nice too.

To delete a base part just blow it up with dynamite it won't get any other base piece

Just got the update and loaded up a old game I was playing then decided to start a new game, so I went back to the main menu and the game just froze at the Early Access page with the box with three dots blinking. So I tried again, loaded my previous game again then went back to the menu, this time it worked, so loaded another game I had, and this time it froze again.

Anybody else getting this problem?

I'm not too sure about this multi-phase research rate, it seems a little pointless to me. 

For those who've not read the notes or experienced the system, the bytes now come off projects at different rates.  Some items might give up their bytes faster at the start of the research cycle others might have their peak rate at the end or in the middle.  The idea being that if you got most of the bytes in the first phase you can trash the rest of the project and start a new one.  Or you can just leave the project running while you're off exploring/mining etc.

The only way this new system would be of real benefit is if you've got loads of projects lined up waiting to go.  But if that's the case just build more research chambers.

Maybe a future update will bring in more changes to make this multi-phase rate worthwhile but at the moment it's not doing much for me. :( Or maybe I'm just not understanding the benefits.

1 hour ago, KungFuStu72 said:

I'm not too sure about this multi-phase research rate, it seems a little pointless to me.

Agreed. I had one item that had SEVEN different rates. :S

Anyone else notice how pressing 'E' wheile in the Research Panel now closes your entire backpack? Very elegant solution and a great improvement.

On 1/16/2018 at 7:46 PM, starionx said:

1.26GB... that's a huge update.

Rofl.  By what standard?

The latest ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) patch was 30x that.

i'm so excited for the next updates, 'cuse i know that it's gonna bring some new good items to the game. besides, 5.1 has already add useful things to the game. 

every problem that i have think to report here doesn't exist anymore, that's great. but now i want to talk about something that i know there some Xbox players like me who want achievements in the game. maybe 'cuse we think that the game it's already in a nice stage for this, and some others think that "will late to add some new interesting items wich has useful potentials to use for unlock achievements". 

well, i don't think so. i know the game it's having constant new stuff, and that we gonna have to wait some months to have the achievements. 

(sorry about my english, i'm Brazilian. can't speak it very well.)

Anyone else notice the super long conduits in the background in the right side of the dual base building shots? I want THAT. I always try to build up high to maximize the exposure time of my solar arrays. 

On 1/9/2018 at 3:49 AM, SES_joe said:

[AS-1958] - Fixed an issue causing inconsistent playback of Gas Hazard audio

It's an Acid Hazard, not a Gas Hazard. You've learned this from Brendan, one of the co-founders (!) of the very company that you are working for. Here's the evidence from Vlog 024 as a reminder, so you may never ever forget it again: https://youtu.be/ShnGlDBUGK8?t=14m18s

On 1/9/2018 at 3:49 AM, SES_joe said:

[AS-2113] - By adjusting a few things in the engineering team’s favorite part of the code, local wind effects should now only spawn for the relevant player rather than all players in a Multiplayer game. 

Local wind effects? What could this possibly be? Why wouldn't you want to have the same wind at the same location for everybody in a multiplayer session? Wouldn't it greatly support co-op gameplay when one Astroneer could inform the others by saying: "I found some wind! Come over here quickly and recharge your backpacks and rovers!"

The sun is no longer just a white disc but has its halo back! Very nice.

The idle animations do not play for my Astroneer. I tried all of the four different Astroneers. I only see an idle animation starting for a split second before the normal standing animation comes back. They did work for me only until one or two updates after they were initially introduced. Anybody else experiencing this?

Edited by Marck

14 hours ago, KungFuStu72 said:

[some content edited out]

Maybe a future update will bring in more changes to make this multi-phase rate worthwhile but at the moment it's not doing much for me. :( Or maybe I'm just not understanding the benefits.

I am in the same boat as you are. Based on the very limited information we have at the moment, that looks more like another incentive to stay at our base and babysit research stations instead of leaving and exploring.

I like the research update. It gives me a time for how long it will take and I can go exploring and visit planets. When it's getting close to the time, I can go back refill the reserch pods and then head out again.  The reason it may seem odd right now as there might be another level of research they are adding that will work with this. I know they are adding instant blueprints and more tech that is not available in your research console.  

8 hours ago, Wolfiesden said:

Rofl.  By what standard?

By the fact that the whole game is only 1.7GB in size. So yes... relatively speaking, it's a huge patch.

Go troll somewhere else.

I have never wanted to blow off study in an exam year and leave for home immediately, suffer though an hour-long journey, brave the biohazardous environment that is the public transport system this time of year, just to sit down and play Astroneer for hours on end, more than I do right now.

10 hours ago, Marck said:

Local wind effects? What could this possibly be? Why wouldn't you want to have the same wind at the same location for everybody in a multiplayer session? Wouldn't it greatly support co-op gameplay when one Astroneer could inform the others by saying: "I found some wind! Come over here quickly and recharge your backpacks and rovers!"

I think they mean if a player isn't using any wind turbines, the game doesn't needlessly generate all these extra effects, so it cuts down on RAM. The same way tethers "disappear" when you're not looking at them, I'd assume.

Edited by skurlton