time_trial

Megabyte Challenge

Now that we have the recent research update, I think it is time to invite attempts to a new challenge. I hereby declare the Megabyte Challenge open.

You are required to collect at least 1,048,576 bytes in your catalog after all items have been unlocked. I am using this number instead of 1 million bytes for purely geeky reasons (it is 1024 squared, using base 2/binary). Please send any complaints about this number to Exo Dynamics directly.

Extra kudos (but no prizes) for those who get the exact amount of bytes or very close to it.

No restrictions imposed, use all available means to acquire the research chests necessary.

Good luck!

As some might suspect, I've already made a start on this. I had assumed only I would be interested in doing it, but decided to post the challenge anyway.

Currently, I have 250,042 bytes and everything is unlocked. I'm going through a forest on Exotic having looted Barren already, 14 chests ready to hit the research chambers.

20180108144339_1.jpg

20180108144612_1.jpg

7 hours ago, TrojanSteel said:

I've started but will try my best to do it all on Terran

I’m not getting much in the way of tech research pods at crash sites, think it would take me an age to do it on Terran. Good luck.

I am getting some intermittent lag, mostly when driving around the research forest on Exotic or if I take off for Terran. It's not bad for the most part. Good luck.

Quick update: making good progress stripping the forest on Exotic bare, but will need to start moving elsewhere soon. Lag is becoming an issue when driving around, so might move back to Terran for the next phase.20180113204013_1.thumb.jpg.003b20a418ac276a74180487ee24df16.jpg

5 minutes ago, Martin said:

Reloading the save clears alot of the fps drops. Just don't build too many big bases.

I do have a fairly large base to hold the batteries and wind turbines needed to keep 4 research chambers going through the night. Might blow it all up when I leave for Terran, see if that helps.

Another hour and a half and I should have wrapped up but I'm taking a break for a while. Tired of pushing that button.O.o

HbQ1DeQ.jpg

Edited by Mak-a-Face

32 minutes ago, Mak-a-Face said:

Another hour and a half and I should have wrapped up but I'm taking a break for a while. Tired of pushing that button.O.o

HbQ1DeQ.jpg

How are you powering all of that?! And did you dump hundreds of research chests there beforehand? Nice work regardless.

2 hours ago, time_trial said:

How are you powering all of that?! And did you dump hundreds of research chests there beforehand? Nice work regardless.

One solar panel per and I did at first but then I switch to Lithium that I mined on Arid with a truck & crane.

1 hour ago, Mak-a-Face said:

One solar panel per and I did at first but then I switch to Lithium that I mined on Arid with a truck & crane.

That's a good shortcut. I've just passed 800,000. Now back on Terran as the lag on Exotic was too much. Progress will slow this week but hoping to get back on the case next weekend.

20 minutes ago, time_trial said:

That's a good shortcut. I've just passed 800,000. Now back on Terran as the lag on Exotic was too much. Progress will slow this week but hoping to get back on the case next weekend.

Nice work, I've just finish the challenge with 1048576 on the button.

wm6PqK4.jpg

2 hours ago, time_trial said:

Nice one! Kudos for getting it bang on, too.

Thanks, I think I've got about 12 hours I'm guessing. It would be nice if your savegames would show time spent on the main menu.

Just think when the content patch releases, you'll be able to get everything without any effort now, so long as the saves are compatible.  Since you've done all the work already.

2 hours ago, Martin said:

Just think when the content patch releases, you'll be able to get everything without any effort now, so long as the saves are compatible.  Since you've done all the work already.

I’m generally happy to start a new game with each content update anyway. I don’t know if old saves will be compatible when the new base module changes are released, I expect not. Not a problem, gives me motivation to finish the job!

8 hours ago, Martin said:

Now imagine adding a server in the mix, with 4 players operating a research farm! The amount they could generate in a short time would be phenomenal.

The more I play the game, the more I dislike the new research 2.0. It has turn research into a currency, it's no longer about exploration, it's about accumulating bytes. On top of that, the absence of a tech tree doesn't help things.

4 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

Now imagine adding a server in the mix, with 4 players operating a research farm! The amount they could generate in a short time would be phenomenal.

The more I play the game, the more I dislike the new research 2.0. It has turn research into a currency, it's no longer about exploration, it's about accumulating bytes. On top of that, the absence of a tech tree doesn't help things.

The gigabyte challenge?!

You do still have to explore in order to acquire enough bytes to unlock things, and now you have control over what you get so that you will be able to choose a certain play style from the start. All I miss from the old system is the suspense of wondering what you were going to get. I don’t miss bringing back loads of chests and still not unlocking the Enclosed 1 Seat or Solar Panel which I really needed.

Remember, this is just the first pass on this new system. The patch notes mentioned items that grant instant bytes and items that can’t be unlocked from the catalog but only found by exploring. I am sure it will be refined and improved.

19 hours ago, time_trial said:

The gigabyte challenge?!

You do still have to explore in order to acquire enough bytes to unlock things, and now you have control over what you get so that you will be able to choose a certain play style from the start. All I miss from the old system is the suspense of wondering what you were going to get. I don’t miss bringing back loads of chests and still not unlocking the Enclosed 1 Seat or Solar Panel which I really needed.

Remember, this is just the first pass on this new system. The patch notes mentioned items that grant instant bytes and items that can’t be unlocked from the catalog but only found by exploring. I am sure it will be refined and improved.

No, once was enough. I just want to see how fast I could do it.

Yeah, you're exploring but it's not the same, it just feels different. I used to look under every rock, up every tree, even climb up mountain but now I seem to ignore everything because you can  use anything including resources for research. :(

Have around 80k or so bytes in my current game, after researching all, seems to be a pretty poor landing spot, few seeds, caves are empty, no sats, no wrecks so no tech pods etc.. base is lagging so much, my vehicles keep drifting off hehe.

I always start a new game with patches, delete all my old ones etc.

I do agree that with a server or even a 4 player coop, some organisation, you could probably nail all the research within 3-4 hours, at release.. but that's the same really for any game, mmo etc.. except maybe stuff like Eve.. which is more nerdsville. Or SimMmo.   An organised tribe/guild can get much more done in much shorter timescales, so really it's just down to how you prefer your fun.. rushed or slow.. I don't think balancing the game for 4 player groups at the cost of enjoyment for solo players would be the way to go though, so unless there's a way to say cut seed spawns by 50% for every player for example in a game, I'd say leave it how it is and you know, if you have mates, you have to accept you'll get stuff done quicker.

Edited by Martin

The real issue to me, shown by these screenshots, is the length a single player will go, if you multiply this up for 4 players, then extend it outwards, to encompass smelting, extraction, trading, research, veh building etc.  On release people are going to be building some pretty massive complex bases, if you by that time have goals and missions etc, without some pretty serious nerfing and balancing issues, people are going to be completing alot of the gameplay in a few hours then complaining of a lack of content. 

So it's likely or maybe hopeful, that by pre release, we'll see some serious rebalancing of the gameplay, to maybe set limits, ie you'll need 1 medium solar just to run 1 research station, you'll be limited to 3 research stations to say a 1000x1000x1000 area... otherwise, gameplay will become "too easy" for those that grind out big bases.. Or maybe 1 research might need the combined power output of 4-6 medium solars.. to run etc.. goals might include gathering several hundred resources multiplied up for mp games etc.