Titico7777

Research pods

Some awesome guy posted this the other day and was asking help for the 2 items missing, I found No. 11 and it contributes 1260 if you want to update your image or if someone has the newest updated one can confirm this.

Research.jpg.cb8957f1a966c79a8fa41b085bfc4ccf.jpg

Thanks Titico7777
I went back to an old save with all 34 present and tested the last missing one. It was physically there but did not have any value. So it could have been removed from the research build, .500? I have not found any new ones or other ones missing other than the one Titico found so... If anyone other discovers something new please tell the community.

Research values.JPG

20180110182525_1.jpg

This is great! I've been compiling my own list, but I didn't have that one either, the one you think may no longer be in the game. I've only been on Terran, so I was thinking it's possible it might be found on other planets, but I have no way of telling right now. Haven't broken down and accumulated enough bytes in any single game to get that far lol. This is helpful, as I'm getting up there in years, and even with bifocals (which I need a stronger prescription for, lol) I simply can't read that teeny weeny font at the distance I'm playing from my bed to my huge TV. It's plenty detailed, the image is quite sharp, but between the less-than-ideal color selection and the small font size, I'm having too much difficulty reading the small print (this isn't just true for Astroneer, I find many games nowadays are putting print in smaller and smaller fonts, I suppose to (1)cram more info into the screen, and (2) take up less screen space overall). It's not just me either, because I've certainly considered that :P I've had to ask my son, who just turned 14 and has great eyesight, to help me read some stuff on occasion, related to games or just as part of regular TV, movies & sports. Even he struggles sometimes he admits, because some things are in such tiny print it's ridiculous. Its simply ridiculous when you think about it. After all, this is "pop-out" info, it's not static, doesn't take up screen space all the time. So there's really no reason why it couldn't be displayed in a larger, much more legible font size that most everyone could read without straining their eyes.

In addition to that, why display the mostly useless power bars? I thought with this update we were supposed to have some idea about energy efficiency? I don't see that displayed anywhere. Instead of the large 2-bar display, which I suppose further breaks down into quarters, why not have a full horizontal bar-graph style display? One that's acccompanied by an accurate percentage? Each research module would display its energy drain from 0-100% so we know how well it's running, rather than a largely inaccurate representation we currently have? Idk, just some thoughts. In the backpack, not sure how we are supposed to use the bytes/min info because there's no reference info to help make that useful at all, nothing to compare to, nothing to "shoot for" essentially. Of course after messing around a but you get some idea but that's not the best design now is it? Doesn't feel like it imo, but then again a lot of the game is spent experimenting, poking around in the dark :P The pack/catalog is where we should have some solid, helpful data available to us about our base, overall power production, energy "efficiency" (although even I'm not sure how that should or would be measured, much less interepreted, not to mentioned where the Devs would put some guidelines for players to check what sort of numbers to shoot for in terms of "optimal output" etc). It just seems like we now have a bunch of "data" thrown at us, but it's all just "out there" not very well tied together and certainly not presented in the best fashion (and that's not even mentioning the color schemes that's already been covered a lot). I did mention in the Patch Notes how I think a Pause button would be infinitely more useful to players over a destruct button, allowing players to pause research so our batteries can recharge, and modules in use can get their energy supplies restored without having research modules hog all the power at a time when a base doesn't have excess power to spare. I also agree giving players something else to start  with besides the organic generator might be worth considering, as I don't think it would be gamebreaking. It certainly would help break the slow, tedious process of starting a base, which right now, doing that solo, can be both a bore and a chore. I've done this probably a dozen times now, and it's just not very fun, sorry to say. Like everyone else, I'm glad the rng method of research is gone. I also know this is a first pass research update, and things will need some improvements and balancing. I look forward to it, because I love playing this game :D

Please do make the game easier on the eyes. If possible, consider different methods to present the data so it's meaningful and therefore useful to the average player. Explaining how all these bits of data are relevant should give players a better view of the overall "big picture" of what they're trying to achieve, what their goals should be, by explaining what the baseline is, what to aim for in terms of power production and efficiency, and overall decreasing confusion and the sense of tedious gameplay where you just spend all your time collecting pods, making sure the power flows, and gathering dirt to convert into resources. I've played this game for a year, and what attracted me to it was the exploration and discovery, the terrain-alteration (building, creativity) and space travel, etc. Now I find the game to be more about babysitting the base, research nodules, and maintaining the power supply than anything else. There's no incentive to go beyond Terran, and that's very disheartening. I remain hopeful though, as the game "just" entered alpha, so there's still a lot to go, many changes announced, planned, and not yet planned I'm sure. The future is bright indeed (I've got my shades, do you? lol) so lets go! :D 

P.S. Forgot to add, on the Astroneer Wiki, iirc they classify most of the pods belonging to "Mineral/Crystal/Cube" as "Rock Type" although there are probably some exceptions. Also, the "Seed" type iirc are classified as "Organic". Not sure if "Space" is the same, I just always thought of those as "Crash" objects, or pods, but space is as good of a name as any I think. Just FYI.

Edited by Shadow Echo

That was some read.. might be needing better glasses now myself..

I think the addition of pause buttons etc will come in time, esp on generators and machines that use continual power flow, however, it might be that when we get modular bases, that the point will be moot as you'll maybe be able to just unplug specific bases and pause them that way.  A pause button on generators would be useful though.

As for the fonts, I think a better choice of colouring is in order, font sizing, maybe even a manual hud configuration tool would be of great assistance, especially to those of us who are older than the avg player and need glasses.  I have 2 pairs and neither really work well on the tv.. I can read books with one pair and see aircraft in the sky with the other, but the tv is just out of range for both.. so I do understand where you're coming from on the fonts etc.  Hopefully all that will be covered in pre release which should be towards the 3rd quarter of this year.

As for the OP, I think I've had a faulty crystal pod as well, so maybe it's just bugged atm.  And I've also seen different byte values from game to game, so I'm thinking the byte output is still rng.  Nice list tho.

Edited by Martin

Although I'm hard pressed to find a single one that doesn't.. maybe I found 1.. if i find another i'll check it but so far the last 10 or so matched exactly to the list. :(

No 3 I once had a 20k version.

Great Chart..... love the data..... but what would really interest me is what the time to research each item is..... that way we could find out what the rate of return is.... in some cases it might be better to run the more common finds...

Again great chart

image.thumb.png.8e46b823e69137fd349aac6f740d5336.png

Item 28 is now 700 up from 649

Item 27 up from 357 to 450

image.thumb.png.6ee703d7d482920d2f11a45369dbd14d.png

Amount differences aren't significant. But it seems nearly all items are different outputs.

Edited by Martin

Hi, this table seems to be popular so I made an update (version 0.800)
Whenever I start a game play I always backup the save files in a separate catalog named the date of play so finding back an old save is always possible but sometimes time consuming. Luckily I made the name for this save a little longer so it was easy this time. This save was from before the new platform system (.500 January) so when the game started up it was an explosion of storage racks and packages with platforms and station. After finding the right packages for platform A and research station I went through the whole collection.

Some comments to the results.
I have not found all of them after .800 version but it’s seems to be accurate after my memory from those I have found. Item 16 and 29 is still in the game as I remember it but the value showed up as zero. Maybe one of the readers can give the value? Item 11 and 21 is gone I believe, but 11 was in the save file 21 not.

Cheers Capt Harpoon

Research 800.jpg

Thanks for the missing one and the correction. I will update the spread sheet after item 16. As I remember its much lower than than the lookalike 15 with red bottom.
The 16 seems to right at 6,998

Thanks. I started a new game on .8 just looking for research so after some hours of game play I filled 3 racks. Still missing the 3 hard ones but found the green with red crystals so it’s still in the game.

Research 800 (2).jpg

20180629191906_1.jpg

I’m not sure it’s worth updating the page, probably just need to start over. As I said somewhere else on another thread (the Crafting Megathread I think) most of the threads prior to the full release likely need to be closed as a lot of them either won’t be relevant or will require significant adjustment to reflect current state of affairs (but what do I know, lol). Best for a fresh start perhaps, a clean slate maybe with discussions etc but I’m guessing (as I stated elsewhere) Wyv and any mods he has helping him are completely swamped for now so we’ll have to manage with what we’ve got. The Devs are likewise busy trying to patch/update the game. I haven’t left the starter world but so far the pods I’ve found really don’t match well with any of these, I guess that’s what I was trying to say in the first place (plus Bytes are very low overall, so far anyway that may change on other worlds though).

Edited by Shadow Echo

Yes, just delete it. Not relevant after the 1.0 update. The research pods are not that necessary anymore. I got most of the bits in my current game at lower cave levels nodes on other planets. Seems also that all pods on starter planets has same low level.