Illmad

Some ideas for new planets

(copied and pasted from my Reddit post)

I've played a lot of Astroneer the recent days, and I've gotten quite a few ideas that I feel could benefit the game, and don't stray too far from what I think the devs have envisioned for it. I wanted to compile a megapost and try to organize the different ideas into categories, but that turned out to be a bit more work than I had imagined, so I'd rather post a thread a day until I've gotten the best ones out there.

First off, some of these planet ideas hinges on a temperature system where too extreme hot or cold temperatures would damage the player if exposed to it for too long. Thermal protection mods can be applied to the suit to lengthen exposure time or alter the scale of what temperature is considered manageable, but generally you have to seek out more temperate areas to cool down / heat up. If your base lies within the extreme zone, you won't survive there for long.

Anyway planets:

Purgatory: A planet tidally locked to the sun. Assuming a temperature system were to be implemented; the sun-side would be scorching hot, and the only way to survive long-term was underground. Offers infinite solar power. The twilight edges of the planet would be exposed to near constant superstorms. Only way to explore the surface would be with large and heavy rovers. Offers infinite wind power. The back side would have intense cold, no solar power, and occasional storms.

A gas giant with rings, and diverse moons orbiting it:

-Glacier: Ice moon with extreme cold, low gravity.

-Desolace: A moon tidally locked to the gas giant. Has similar qualities to the moon 'Barren' but having a very long day + night cycle. Without winds, batteries are a must in order to thrive here.

-Umbra: A larger moon with relatively normal gravity. It is covered in a thick and windy atmosphere of dark smog and very limited vision. In addition to this; its orbit lies perfectly within the gas giant's rings, further reducing the amount of sunlight. Underground is filled with bioluminescent flora and fauna (if or when fauna is added)

-Twins: Two large asteroids tidally locked to one another. Very low gravity. Stand in between them, and you could in theory jump to the other one, although I'm having doubts wether or not this can actually be done in the engine.

I quite like the idea of your smoggy limited visibility planet.

I'd quite like a planet made almost entirely of rock with a very thin layer of soil on the surface.  All the resources and plants are on the surface in that thin soil.  It would obviously need to be quite a big planet but no caves, no soft centre, no point in drilling to the middle of the planet.  Just a surface only planet!

Generally I think rock should be used more in the game, it might stop us carving up the place quite so much.

I posted some ideas for planets way back when I first signed up to this website, almost a year ago now. Some of them ended up being more like biomes rather than actual planets, but there were a couple that got some positive feedback. Here they are, copied and pasted from the original.

Sunburnt

This planet's rotation would be locked, meaning that one side would be permanently facing the star it orbits, whilst the other side would be forever in shadow. The 'Day Side' would be mostly yellow and very barren of anything organic, with a few mountains here and there. Scorpion like animals could be found mostly in caves and sometimes out on the surface. Players also would have to watch out for areas where the texture of the ground is different, as there are patches of quicksand here and there. The 'Night Side' by contrast would be much like Tundra is all over, covered in ice and rocks. The Night Side would have almost permanent wind in most places, allowing for a reliable source of power, backed up by a battery or two. There would be Artefacts unique to each side of the planet, encouraging the player to build at least two bases (one on each side) to cover them both. A thin strip of land would divide the two sides, forming a ring around the world where day meets night. In this 'Twilight Region' the temperature would be more balanced, allowing for a large amount of plantlife, a stark contrast to either side. Sunburnt would have one moon, which would have a day/night cycle of about 7 minutes. It would mostly be covered in shades of brown, with a few places where it turns dark red.

Broken

This world's normally spherical shape would be broken by a massive chunk missing that would account for about a fifth of the planet. This would be the result of a collision with another planetary body, maybe a former moon it use to have, or a large enough comet or Astroid. The surface would be primarily brown and yellow, with frequent dust storms covering it. Organic life would cover a fair amount, about the same as on Terran. The large region where the land is missing would be a sharpe contrast to the rest of the planet. The ground would go from brown to dark brown, then to grey and finally to black in the centre.there would be no wind inside this region, though an abundance of Coal and solar power would make up for that. The day/night cycle would be about 18 to 20 minutes, so when building or driving into the 'Crater' you would need either a large supply of Coal or a Solar Panel and quite a few Batteries.

I think we were envisioning the same sort of environment with your Purgatory planet idea and my Sunburnt planet idea. The scenario of having one side permanently facing the sun would make for some interesting game choices when establishing a base on such a world. I negelected to mention it in the original layout, but I had envisioned the 'Day Side' having fewer Artefacts and surface deposits of materials, to balance out the fact that you would have continuous sunlight for an easy power source. So then, the question each player would have to ask themselves is: do I go for the side with guaranteed easy power from the sun all the time, or do I go fir the dark side where there are more Artefacts and larger (and more valuable) material deposits?

Having a lot of planets in one solar system however would feel like System Era was trying to squeeze too much in, so something that has been suggested is that there be multiple solar systems with different types and numbers of planets in each. Once you have explored the planets in the first solar system, you could build a new space station at which you can then build an interstellar spacecraft capable of taking you to these new solar systems in order to explore them.

Hi all,

10 hours ago, Ghostwolf93 said:

multiple solar systems with different types and numbers of planets in each. Once you have explored the planets in the first solar system, you could build a new space station at which you can then build an interstellar spacecraft capable of taking you to these new solar systems in order to explore them.

I think it could be pleasant to find new planets and new solar systems with an interstellar spacecraft. We could find a large type of environments planets or asteroids. It could improve the gaming experience.