reto

Infinite Solar Power, Flat Earth Theory, and Planet measure :)

well, that took my way longer than expected *g*. 

I've mad myself a challenge. How long does it take to make an equatorial base on Barren? A base that goes once around the equator. With enough solar panels that should provide me with constant and nearly infinite solar energy.  To make it a bit harder I decided to fly up soil from my Terran base to create enough resin on Barren not to destroy the beautiful landscape up there.  So I set up a new habitat on Barren near the equator and built myself a vehicle bay such that I can land nearby and then a mineral extractor and started to extract resin from the canisters I flew up (5 medium storages = 40 canisters each flight, yields around 80 resins).

And then I started going west extending my base, walking back, picking up resin. After a while I had to add a smelter to produce some dynamite to remove some obstacles and base platforms (when accidentally set up a platform rather than only extending a new pod).

After a while I noticed that, by foot, that might take forever, or at least longer than I want to :). So I from now on used a double-rover to get resin and drive back to the end of my equatorial base. Bah! Even then it took quite a while. After finishing I hat to grab enough chopper from Terran to create the solar panels and then spread them out on Barren.

The result:

• I can prove that the moon is round and not flat as I reached the base again *g*.
  • I had to adjust my direction only by a few degrees at the end to reach my base again (well done, Sir!)
  • It needs 316 base pods to get around the equator of Barren once.
  • 316 pods ~ 155 canisters of soil.
  • Spread out 15 big solar panels, every 20th pod has a panel.
  • ... INFINITE ENERGY! :)

The drawbacks

• Cost me quite a lot of my time *g*
  • Cost me half of my frame rate.

To the developers (if you read this)

While the drop in the frame-rate is mostly due to the large number of objects. But I've noticed something in addition: the algorithm takes quite a while (quarter a second maybe on my machine) to connect me to the next pod when walking along them (switching the oxygen/power cord from one to another). Seems that the lookup or search algorithm there might show room for improvement!

If someone needs a new challenge: beat me by doing the same on a larger planet! :) I'll add some screenshots and the save file in a second :) 

Greez
R

5a520d3c2ad6e_Screenshot(22).thumb.png.ff3e538bc754699c0d446e6223f5e8a1.png

That's the start point of the equatorial base. Lots and lots of dirt flown up here! :)

5a520d6d9d417_Screenshot(21).thumb.png.3b0500a3ba855fb16376361255d29107.png

And, of course, I've three or four times had to hunt my rovers. Luckily I've got them back somehow every time. Never happens on Terran to me, but on Barren this bug is still omnipresent.

5a520d7505550_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.140a89d2125ebcd9fd36f56c882b72c6.png

Got it! Baam ...

Nice work! I admire this sort of long term project and the required commitment. Question is, now that you’ve gotten unlimited solar power, what use are you going to make of it?

Well, my good old notebook is "on the edge" now. Not a lot of fun to play with these frame-rates and lags. I either have to start a new game or ... as I do have infinite energy now I could start to produce tons of fuel and try to blow the whole thing at once. By placing two hydrazine canisters on each pod and light that stuff up on one end ... boom (not sure if it would work, would have to test that first) :).

Edited by reto

On 1/7/2018 at 6:59 AM, reto said:

I've mad myself a challenge. How long does it take to make an equatorial base on Barren? A base that goes once around the equator. With enough solar panels that should provide me with constant and nearly infinite solar energy.  To make it a bit harder I decided to fly up soil from my Terran base to create enough resin on Barren not to destroy the beautiful landscape up there.  So I set up a new habitat on Barren near the equator and built myself a vehicle bay such that I can land nearby and then a mineral extractor and started to extract resin from the canisters I flew up (5 medium storages = 40 canisters each flight, yields around 80 resins).

Good work! And good application of creating your own fun instead of waiting for someone to tell you what to do to "win" the game.

21 minutes ago, Pieticle said:

how did u manage to keep ur pods in a straight line all the way? 

It's not that tough... If you always move ahead of your line of pods, the location of the conduit is directly pointed at the camera. So if you use the line at the top of the conduit, and align it with the line at the top of the conduit connector from the last pod, it's a straight line.

Also, if you watch the free conduit connectors of the prior pods, when you are about dead straight, they'll flip to one side or the other. Make small movements with the camera to get to where a tiny movement in either direction will cause them to move across to the other side (some will usually be on one side, the others on the opposite). If you work at making it so there are always some in either direction, the slight variance in straight line will keep you generally straight. (This means that there should be conduit connectors pointing both ways as you look down the line of the pods, and when you shift slightly one way, the opposite connectors will switch to the other side, telling you that you need to go back a little...)

At least that's how I did it as I started trying to do a similar challenge on Terran, but because I wanted them all at the same level as the original base, I had to bore through a mountain range, and keep building level floor as I went... It got to be a bit more than I wanted to do after some 50 or so pods. Besides, that save is no longer compatible with the current build. Sigh.

On 1/9/2018 at 6:20 AM, Pieticle said:

how did u manage to keep ur pods in a straight line all the way? 

Well, I was moving backwards. Walking backwards having the line of pots in front of me. Try to more or less walk straight, an then you can easily do some kind of fine adjustments by changing the view angle (the extent for the new pod then automatically moves a bit). Takes only a few seconds to place 10 pods. Walking back to the base and pick up new resin was the pain in the ass :D.

I'm sure yall already know this, but Astroneers crazy physics pits the sun North of every other planet. You can get limitless solar energy for a much cheaper price (build on the north pole of any planet, and make sure no mountains are in the way).

Definitely not as fun as making a gigantic ring around the planet though.

Hehe. Yeah, that would not be that much fun :). I knew it but wanted to try something new, especially as I was interested how big the moon really is. 

I always thought "oh dear, this time I have to see the icon at the horizon, for sure!" but ... no :).

Edited by reto