Don't worry, this is not yet another thread complaining about the vehicle controls, this is about improving rovers in general.

1. Research.  I'd like easier access to the medium rover and later access to the large rover.  Currently it takes ages to get the little one but you ditch it and move on to the big brother after half an hour.  To get the medium you need to reseach the vehicle bay 1000byte & the rover itself 2400byte & maybe a seat 600byte (although I've always found plenty of spare seats in crashed space hardware) so about 4000bytes.  I know the large rover costs 8000 bytes but by this stage you've almost definitely got multiple, fully powered research stations hence the progression is too fast.

2. Construction.  They're too easy to build, they should need more resources.  The medium rover is OK but I think it should need more than 4 compound (maybe 2 aluminium, 1 compound & 1 copper).  But the large rover should be a multi phase build, phase 1 builds the chassis (4 aluminium), phase 2 adds the wheels (4 compound), phase 3 adds the battery (2 lithium) and electrics (2 copper).  If building rovers is a bit more involved you'll get a much better sense of achievement when one finally rolls out of the vehicle bay.

3. More attachments for large rover.  Make them more than just a drilling rig or truck.  These are high cost (multi megabyte) late game additions.  A.A road maker - clips on the front socket, when fitted it reduces the max speed by a third and has an on/off switch, when "on" the speed reduces by another third and energy consumption increases (will require 4 med solar to run) but it will perfectly smooth the terrain and remove rocks/stalagmites to produce a flat road surface (that's black like asphalt and hard like rock).  It will also bridge ravines and fill in craters.  Smooth roads - easier driving.  B.Tunnelling attachment - clips on the front, works like the road maker but it gouges a large rover sized tunnel out of the earth.  It could be handy for filling lots of soil cannisters.  C.An anchor/stabaliser - fitted front and back they anchor and level the rover for when you're using the crane/drill.

Now obviously my first two ideas (making vehicles harder to come by) are probably not going to go down too well with the community.  But if things are harder to come by then generally they have more value. 
Edited by Wyvyrias
Fixed formatting.

I agree with how long it takes to develop these things. For one the only real challenge is amassing the research. Slapping together 4 compounds cheapens the feeling of accomplishment. I like the idea of multiple stages of building. It could also add to the value of the printer and vehicle bay. Needing to print out copper wires with a printer and then going over to the vehicle bay to craft wheels would make it feel more like a workshop and that you actually assembled you rover. 

The road maker would be cool to have too for the late game.

Suspiciously I notice that there is a medium and large rover but no small one. What about exploration class small vehicle? Just the front and rear nodes for a solar panel and turbine and the seat. No room for lugging a large research item though since this little guy would just be for scouting. It would be even better if you could load a set of tethers onto roversand lay them as you drive creating a lifeline and path home if you did find something worth carrying back. 

it would also be good if you could attach a drill to the front of the medium or large rover so you could make subterranean tunnels and do lots of mining

5 hours ago, astroneer12 said:

they could add trailers so you can carry more resources

A rover can pull 3 more rovers as trailers.

bnfM4Qz.jpg 

On 1/14/2018 at 5:33 AM, Pi_ said:

A rover can pull 3 more rovers as trailers.

bnfM4Qz.jpg 

how in the world is your base so neat, my base is just a cluster of random items and modules20180129145241_1.thumb.jpg.d2e320b72c8ecb141344289a80411640.jpg

12 hours ago, mildly moist said:

how in the world is your base so neat

That screenshot was from several patches ago.  Back then I used to level out a large area around the habitat before starting the base.  That makes it easier to line up the expansion nodes at 90 deg angles.  These days I usually don't bother too much with leveling, unless the terrain is really up & down...  it takes a little patience, but you can still get the expansion nodes to be fairly straight.  After clicking the 1st extension port on the habitat, the trick is to not place the 1 resin nugget until you've got the angle you want.