I find one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game is building interesting terrain/structures, so I'd like to propose a few additional terraforming capabilities (augments, perhaps?)

• A Smoothing capability (different from current "flatten" mode)
  • Shapes in addition to the current circular reticle
  • An "undo"
  • A "parallel" alignment function
  • Direction lock
  • Angle "memory"
  • Upgrade-able terraforming tool with augment selection functions

Smoothing: The current "flatten" mode incrementally adjusts the terrain within the reticle to be at the same angle as the face at the center of the reticle. Smoothing would increment the terrain in the reticle to adjust to the "average" angle of all the faces in the reticle.

Additional reticle shapes (in addition to circle): Equilateral Triangle 1 (top is an edge of the triangle); Equilateral Triangle 2 (top is a vertex); Square 1 (top is an edge); Square 2 (top is a vertex).  Narrow/Wide augments would also apply. Eventually there might even be a control to rotate the reticle around it's center so that any orientation would be possible.

Undo: I very often terraform on the wrong spot and then I can't get the terrain restored to how it was before my mistake.  The "undo" function would restore all the terrain mods caused by the immediately preceding single left-mouse action. This wouldn't be a queue; it would be only the immediately-preceding modification.

Parallel alignment: The alignment augment modifies terrain perpendicular to the planet's surface. I would like to be able to modify terrain parallel to the planet's surface, as well.

Direction lock: This would keep adding/removing terrain in the current direction, without the terrain tool adjusting its angle to whatever terrain face it is moved over. This is similar to what the Align augment does, but it would apply to whatever direction the terrain tool is facing, not just perpendicular to the planet's surface. The significant difference from the align tool is that with Direction lock, I could move the terrain tool (you can't move the tool away from the direction it's facing with the Align mod once you start adding/removing with it);

Angle memory: The angle of a face could be stored into a memory of some kind so that that same angle can be replicated exactly in any part of the terrain. This would allow the creation of surfaces that are aligned exactly the same that are distant from one another (the flatten tool does this, but it can only apply to contiguous surfaces).

Upgrade-able terraforming tool: This tool would no longer require adding/removing of augments to invoke the augments' functions.  Instead, once an augment is created, it can be used to permanently enhance the upgrade-able terraforming tool. Then when the upgraded terraforming tool is "zoomed", a control panel would be available that lets you select which augments you have upgraded the terraforming tool with, that you want to be active. (The number of simultaneously active augments would probably be constrained to avoid things like simultaneously having wide and narrow active). This would free up inventory space with lots of tools. This would be especially nice when painting the terrain with a large assortment of terrain analyzers. The "zoomed" selection panel could provide a large selection of items in different categories: Reticle Shape, Size, Direction,  Direction Lock, Color, Angle Memory, etc.